6061Re: [neoplatonism] Re: Calling all astrologers!

  • Marilynn Lawrence
    Oct 9, 2013
      The ascending point/moment makes perfect sense to me.
      I wanted to mention that a link between this passage and the cave of the nymphs is that Cancer is the horoskopos of the thema mundi, and Capricorn the dusis, which further establish the ascendant's role as the entrance gateway of souls.

      On Oct 9, 2013, at 4:32 PM, "Goya" <goya@...> wrote:

      OK, one last post on the meaning of *paraklisis tEs stigmEs* in Porphyry,
      On what depends on us, fr. 271 Smith = Stobaeus, II, p. 171, 7 Wachsmuth,
      the meaning of which has just become clear. Many thanks to all those who
      contributed to the discussion, thus enabling me to see the solution.

      The point (*stigmE*) in question is the point *in time*, or the moment at
      which the horoscope rises, as should have been immediately clear to me
      from the parallel at p. 170, 12 Wachsmuth: *kata stigmEn tou khronou tEs
      anaphoras tou hOroskopou*. The *paraklisis* is, then, the deviation or
      difference made by a slight change in this moment.

      Let me explain. The context is the following: the question of how it is
      possible that if the horoscope - that is, the rising zodiacal sign -
      determines the soul's life, man, dogs, and various other dissimilar
      creatures are born in the same rising of a horoscope. Porphyry's answer -
      entirely traditional, as we see from Bouché-Leclercq 581-593 - is that the
      celestial sphere rotates really, really fast, so that even if say, twins
      *appear* to be born at exactly the same time, in fact a different portion
      of the zodiac will correspond to the birth of each one, owing to the very
      slight difference in the times of their birth. The *paraklisis tEs
      stigmEs* is thus the very slight change or deviation in time of birth, and
      hence in the precise degree or minute of the zodiacal sign that is rising
      on the horizon, which explains how a dog can be born "under the same sign"
      as a man.

      In Porphyry's interpretation, when the soul is on the outside of the
      world, watching the constellations of the celestial sphere spinning around
      in front of it, it chooses one it likes and dives in. But the spinning of
      the sphere is so fast that no matter how close together two souls may take
      the plunge, their entry into the world, and hence their birth, is ever so
      slightly different, and so is the degree or minute of the zodiacal sign
      rising at the horizon at the instant of their birth.

      One can and should thus make an addition to LSJ: *paraklisis, hE*:
      "deviation, alternation, variation".

      Thanks once again to all,

      Mike