6049Re: [neoplatonism] Calling all astrologers!

  • Jean-Louis DE BIASI
    Oct 5, 2013

      Friends,

      I forwarded this question to a friend (Mario) who translated the book "De Mensibus" by Ioannes Lydos (http://goo.gl/0fNCMc)

      Here is his answer:

      "I would translate it:"according to the inspiration of the moment".

      παρακλισις is actually "inclination", στιγμη is point, but also point in time, i.e. moment.

      So it depends on what the soul is choosing in that time.

      It could make sense."

      Best Regards,

      Jean-Louis

      On 10/5/2013 12:23 PM, Goya wrote:

      Friends,

      As I try to translate the fragments of Porphyry's "On what depends on us",
      I'm seriously hindered by my ignorance of ancient astrology.

      In one passage, Porphyry writes as follows:

      Ἤδη οὖν ἡ μὲν
      ἑλομένη
      κυνὸς βίον
      ἔρχεται ἐπὶ
      τόνδε τὸν
      ὡροσκόπον· ἡ
      δὲ ἀνθρώπου
      κατὰ τὴν
      παράκλισιν
      τῆς στιγμῆς
      ἐπὶ τόνδε·

      In case the Greek doesn't come through: EdE oun hE men helomenE kunos bion
      erkhetai epi tonde ton hOroscopon. HE de anthrOpou kata tEn paraklisin tEs
      stigmEs epi tonde.

      My tentative translation: then the soul that has chosen the life of a dog
      goes toward a specific horoscope, while the soul that has chosen a human
      life goes toward this other horoscope, *kata tEn paraklisin tEs stigmEs*.

      The context: Porphyry interprets Plato's Myth of Er in the Republic in
      astrological terms. He distinguishes two choices: first, the soul chooses
      a general type of life (man/women; human/animal); these choices are
      indicated by the signs of the zodiac. Second, the soul chooses a specific
      type of life (soldier, sailor, hunting-dog or lap-dog): these are
      indicated by the constellations.

      My problem: I don't know what *kata tEn paraklisin tEs stigmEs*. means.
      The term paraklisis has a half-dozen occurrences acc. to the TLG, but LSJ
      has no entry s.v. It must derive from *paraklinO* and hence mean something
      like "deviation", but what the "deviation of a point" might mean, I have
      no idea. Any and all help greatly appreciated.

      Best, Mike