604Re: Plotinus, "On Beauty" (1.6 [1])

  • jensav55
    Apr 5 9:46 AM
      --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, Marina Kogan <mrnkogan@y...>
      wrote:
      > Hi, everybody:
      > I am struggling with Plotinius' notion of the beautiful as
      "completely shaped according to the form" and of the ugly as "not
      completely dominated by shape" (1.2.16-18: tr. Armstrong). In a sense,
      I understand his point (an illustration of it could be Sartre's
      analysis of the obscene in his _Being and nothingness_). Yet, taken
      without qualifications (as Plotinus introduces it), this notion
      appears to me as counter-intuitive. For it seems to presuppose that
      absolutely every form is beautiful (_qua_ form). Which, of course,
      follows from Plotinus' basic point of view that evil has no form. My
      question is, how one should take this.
      > For in 1.6.45-50 Plotinus himself gives examples of bad ("kaka")
      ideas ("theo^re^mata")…

      A reference to bad "theoremata" should not be taken to imply the
      existence of bad IDEAS; and the examples of bad theoremata given in
      I.6.1.45-50 are probably to be understood as privative terms referring
      to the absence of some corresponding virtue.

      Edward Butler
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic