603Re: Plotinus, "On Beaty" (1.6 [1])

    Apr 4, 2005
      --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, Marina Kogan <mrnkogan@y...>
      wrote:
      > Hi, everybody:
      > I am struggling with Plotinius' notion of the beautiful
      as "completely shaped according to the form" and of the ugly as "not
      completely dominated by shape" (1.2.16-18: tr. Armstrong). In a
      sense, I understand his point (an illustration of it could be
      Sartre's analysis of the obscene in his _Being and nothingness_).
      Yet, taken without qualifications (as Plotinus introduces it), this
      notion appears to me as counter-intuitive. For it seems to
      presuppose that absolutely every form is beautiful (_qua_ form).
      Which, of course, follows from Plotinus' basic point of view that
      evil has no form. My question is, how one should take this.
      > For in 1.6.45-50 Plotinus himself gives examples of bad ("kaka")
      >ideas ("theo^re^mata"); and in 1.6.6.25 he seems to identify the
      >bad with the ugly, and the good with the beautiful. How can one
      >avoid the conclusion, then, that there are ugly ideas?

      I have been rather busy and meaning to reply to your posting, not
      that I have an answer, but I do have a book-length study on Plotinus
      and this subject which is relatively new, <Plotinus On Body and
      Beauty> by Margaret R.Miles, Blackwell, 1999. She does refer to
      these passages starting on p.37. As I say, I am not that familiar
      with the primary text nor these issues raised by it, but I did want
      at least to point out her book. Perhaps it will be of some help.

      Or perhaps someone else could help? I fear the group is no longer
      viable, since there have been so few postings of late - ? That would
      be a pity, but que sera, sera.

      Dennis Clark
      Issaquah
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic