5992Re: RAYMOND KILBANSKY (1905-2005). CATALOGUE OF THE MONTREAL EXHIBITION

  • Georges Leroux
    Jun 21, 2013
      DEAR PLATONIC AND NEOPLATONIC FRIENDS,

      I am happy to announce the publication of the catalogue of the
      exhibition that I curated in the memory of Raymond Klibansky (1905-2005). I
      was his student in the sixties, here in Montreal.

      His library of around 7,500 books is now part of the Library of
      McGill. His personal archives are in Marbach (Germany), in the Deutsche
      Literatur Archiv. A selection of 250 books and souvenirs (incuding a choice
      of letters of Cassirer, Einstein, Rickert, and others) is presented in the
      exhibition "Raymond Klibansky (1905-2005). La bibliothèque d'un
      philosophe/The Library of a philosopher", which was inaugurated last
      November and will close on August the 25th.

      Among the treasures on view, a hitherto undescribed manuscript of
      the translation of the Timaeus by Calcidius and a magnificent selection of
      Proclus, Macrobius, Nicholas of Cusa. Author of Saturn and Melancholy
      (1964), written with Erwin Panosfsky and Fritz Saxl, Klibansky also
      collected on the theme of melancholy and the exhibition presents the first
      editions of Robert Burton, as well as precious books and engravings by
      Dürer.

      Published in french, the catalogue offers a full bibliography, along
      with photographies of many pieces presented in the exhibition. It also
      contains several essays on the topics of Klibansky's research, the platonic
      tradition, melancholy and modern tolerance.

      A website put up by his wife, Dr Ethel Groffier, presents all the
      material for those who would like to know more about this great scholar.

      http://www.raymondklibanskywebpage.org/

      With all best wishes,

      DR. GEORGES LEROUX

      EMERITUS