5973Re: intelligible triads in Proclus

  • jensav55
    Jun 11, 2013
      --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, Marco Bormann <marcobormann@...> wrote:
      > I am kind of stuck somewhere in Proclus' Theology of Plato, trying to puzzle together the intelligible triads. The whole things is quite strange since he states them for each dialogue separately and on is never sure when he states the actual idea from the triad and when just one that is applicable to this idea. However the first two seem to be relatively clear:
      > 1st bound, unbound, being
      > 2nd hyparxis, power, life
      > But for the third things do not seem as clear. The third idea he says to be 'intellect', but for the first two ideas of this triad I have been looking in vain.
      > Does anyone have any hint for me?

      The three moments of the third intelligible triad are 1) "limit, henad, and existence [hyparxis]"; 2) "the unlimited and power"; and 3) "the mixed, substance [ousia], life [zoê] and intelligible intellect [nous noêtos]" (Theol. Plat. III 14. 51. 6-7).

      If you are making a close study of the intelligible triads, you might be interested in a series of articles I have written on the subject which have appeared in Méthexis, the third and final of which, on the third intelligible triad and the intellective Gods, will be appearing in the forthcoming issue of the journal (vol. 25).

      The preceding articles, concerning the first and second triads, appeared in vols. 21 and 23 respectively, and are also available on my site: http://henadology.wordpress.com/philosophy/.

      I hope that this has been helpful.

      Edward Butler
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic