5708Re: trinitarian and triadicRe: [neoplatonism] Re: What are the One and the No...

  • John Dillon
    Aug 1, 2012

      >> > Yes, I got one of those invitations too. I am glad to be filled in by Mike,
      >> > as I had no knowledge of Alexander Dugin, though the founding of
      >> > Platonopolis did sound seriously dotty. John
      >> >

      > Has there ever been a serious community established anywhere, among such type
      > communities? I have of course about zero confidence in such an idea, given the
      > track record of most such enterprises, being nothing more than con's or worse,
      > the nastiest sort of repressive cult exercises. But I suppose in a sense any
      > sort of monastery is a specimen of this type of social organization, and can
      > work. Questio is, could a Platonic one? Such as he proposes in the Republic
      > would not be legal actually in most countries, would it? Never really thought
      > about that. I suppose in a great catastrophe we want refuges to carry on, but
      > the thought is so dreay in general, that even that contingency depresses me
      > too much to contemplate it much. Otherwise, I think if a social organization
      > cannot heal its main self in itself, then why bother will little experimental
      > enclaves, unless of course they are for some sort of true survival, but is
      > that really feasible now, and is it not also too depressing to contemplate?
      >
      > And yet this weekend I watched part of a documentary on people spending
      > hundreds of thousands of dollars on high tech [sic!] refuges in advance of
      > this silly Mayan calendar thing about 2012. The con artists taking advantage
      > of it are hardly a surprise to see, and have been around as long as these
      > millenialists have.
      >
      > One telling aspect of this phenomenon I noticed when I heard one contractor
      > interviewed on the program say he had lost business because he himself, while
      > quite happy to build these things for believers, was no believer himself. The
      > business he said he lost was from those who were unhappy to hire him, if he
      > was not also a believer himself!
      >
      > Does that explain a large part of it? The seeking of fellow believers,
      > regardless of what is believed? Superstition loves company for it to take
      > hold? Yikes.
      >
      > Dennis Clark

      Well, I suppose America used to abound in these utopian communities of
      various sorts, after all, not too many of which lasted very long. As for
      Plotty¹s plan, I think that it would have turned out a sort of Platonist
      monastery. It would have been a bit like the Swiss navy, as they say, though
      ‹ all admirals! Not too many candidates for the peasantry, I think. John