5342Re: [neoplatonism] Re: Neoplatonism & Religion

  • Jim Schumacher
    Apr 3, 2012
      Trinitarianism also has an early history (prehistory?) in Middle
      Platonism. its roots lie in Hellenistic Judaism before the rise of
      Christianity. Here the key documents are the deuterocanonical Wisdom
      of Solomon and Philo.

      The Wisdom of Solomon is available in a lucid translation and
      commentary by David Winston. But Philo is more of a project.

      Two books by David T. Runia constitute a good survey of the
      philosophical significance of Philo: "Philo of Alexandria and the
      Timaeus of Plato" and "Philo in Early Christian Literature � A survey."

      The first book details how Philo went about squaring Plato's key
      dialogue with biblical religion. The second traces out his
      appropriation by early Christian writers.

      Jim Schumacher