      From: neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com [mailto:neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com] On
      Behalf Of John Michalski
      Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2012 7:10 AM
      To: neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [neoplatonism] Re: Neoplatonism & Religion

      I've been reading this conversation with some interest. Many interesting
      suggestions have been offered, regarding parallels between the Christian
      Trinity and the various Neoplatonic Triads. But I don't think enough has
      been said about the most important distinction.

      From Plotinus on (and before, in Middle Platonism?), all these Triads have
      been charactized by one thing, their subordinationism - their use of
      hierarchical rankings. Each level is inferior to its source that lies above
      it - inferior in Unity, Being, Life, and Power.

      Christianity, on the other hand, has always struggled against the temptation
      to subordinationism in its picture of the Divine. The Father, Son, and Holy
      Spirit are all equal, and equally God.

      Christian theologians may have used Platonic concepts in their attempt to
      understand and discuss the Triune God (though earliest Christianity was more
      inclined towards Stoic concepts, like Logos). But that's not their source
      for this doctrine. The source lay in the Biblical revelation and especially
      in their experience of worship. "There is this Reality called the Father
      which we are to worship," they said. "But there's this Reality called the
      Son which we are ALSO to worship. And there's this Reality called the Holy
      Spirit which we are ALSO to worship. BUT our roots in Judaism tell us that
      only GOD is to be worshiped - there's no room in our faith for demigods. And
      those same roots tell us that God is ONE." So out of the prior reality of
      Christian worship came the necessity to define God as Three-in-One - as
      Trinity.

      And use of Platonic triads as a way to understand this was after the fact,
      and required as much alteration as adaptation. The intrinsic
      subordinationism had to be rooted out.

      Pax,

      John

      --- On Sun, 4/1/12, Wyman <vilniusjewishlibrary@...
      <mailto:vilniusjewishlibrary%40yahoo.com> > wrote:

      Stephen, is there a standard source that makes the obvious comparison
      between the Christian Trinity and Plotinus' concept?