5337Re: Re : [neoplatonism] Neoplatonism & Religion

  • John Dillon
    Apr 3, 2012

      > John,
      >
      > Could you (or others) comment on how Proclus does not accord with Porphyry
      > in this regard.
      >
      > Thank you,
      >
      > David
      >

      > In a message dated 4/2/2012 1:41:13 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      > jmdillon@... <mailto:jmdillon%40eircom.net> writes:
      >
      > May I also put in a plug for two articles of mine on this issue:
      > ŒLogos and Trinity: Patterns of Platonist Influence on Early Christianity¹
      > (The Philosophy in Christianity, ed. G. Vesey. Cambridge 1989)
      > and
      > ŒPorphyry¹s Doctrine of the One¹
      > (Sophies Maietores: ed. M.O. Goulet-Cazê, etc. Paris, 1992)
      > -- but both available in my collection ŒThe Great Tradition¹, Variorum:
      > Aldershot, 1997.
      > My argument is, broadly, that Porphyry is in fact the driving force behind
      > the developed doctrine of the Trinity as propounded by the Cappadocian
      > Fathers, in particular, and the true analogy to the Trinity is not the
      > three
      > hypostases of Plotinus (as Stephen recognises), but rather the triad
      > ŒBeing-Life-Intellect¹ -- which Porphyry is the only recorded Neoplatonist
      > thinker to relate to the One, rather than to the second hypostasis of
      > Intellect, as is normal. JMD

      Well, everybody else, including Proclus, would situate the triad
      Being-Life0Intellect at the second level of reality, Nous, rather than at
      the level of the One. Only Porphyry seems to conflate them (it is all
      connected with regarding the first two hypotheses of the Parmenides as
      concerning the same entity, viz. the One). JMD