5336Re : [neoplatonism] Neoplatonism & Religion

  • dgallagher@aol.com
    Apr 2, 2012
      John,

      Could you (or others) comment on how Proclus does not accord with Porphyry
      in this regard.

      Thank you,

      David

      In a message dated 4/2/2012 1:41:13 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      jmdillon@... writes:

      May I also put in a plug for two articles of mine on this issue:
      ŒLogos and Trinity: Patterns of Platonist Influence on Early Christianity¹
      (The Philosophy in Christianity, ed. G. Vesey. Cambridge 1989)
      and
      ŒPorphyry¹s Doctrine of the One¹
      (Sophies Maietores: ed. M.O. Goulet-Cazê, etc. Paris, 1992)
      -- but both available in my collection ŒThe Great Tradition¹, Variorum:
      Aldershot, 1997.
      My argument is, broadly, that Porphyry is in fact the driving force behind
      the developed doctrine of the Trinity as propounded by the Cappadocian
      Fathers, in particular, and the true analogy to the Trinity is not the
      three
      hypostases of Plotinus (as Stephen recognises), but rather the triad
      ŒBeing-Life-Intellect¹ -- which Porphyry is the only recorded Neoplatonist
      thinker to relate to the One, rather than to the second hypostasis of
      Intellect, as is normal. JMD