5030Re: [neoplatonism] A text for meditation

  • Jason Wingate
    Sep 2, 2011
      Empedotimos,

      <<3. Birth is caused by an action due to sexual desire.

      Hence the validity of the quote.>>

      It's not that simple, surely, even if you do translate 'eros' as 'sexual desire'. Birth is not caused by sexual desire *alone*, and one's *own* birth is not caused by one's *own* sexual desire -- at least, not in any obvious way!

      In my opinion this quote has more to do with the sublimation of sexual energy from lower to higher uses as in the symposium. I actually used this quote in my blog piece here:

      http://lightningoak.wordpress.com/2011/06/27/of-love-and-immortality/

      ... posted a while back.

      I liked Mead's translation:

      Let him learn to know that he himself is deathless, and that the cause of death is love, though Love is all.

      It's a complex topic! j

      Lightning in an Oak Box