418Re: [neoplatonism] Platonism and Atheism

  • Monte Morris
    Apr 10, 2004
      I'm not entirely certain what you mean by Plato's
      conception of the Gods as "virtuous abstractions." I
      don't remember the name of the exact writing, but he
      used Socrates to ask the question of someone about
      what makes something good. THe person replied by
      saying, "because the gods love it." Socrates then
      asked this person, "is it good because the gods love
      it, or do the gods love it because it is good?"
      The man then replied, "It is good because the gods
      love it." Socrates here replied that the gods fight
      among themselves and disagree with each other on
      whether or not something is good. THere are plenty of
      stories in Greek mythology where the gods fight with
      each other and do things that other gods think are
      bad. So, the man was forced to retract his arguement
      that a thing is good because the gods love it.
      Just from this writing alone, I have trouble accepting
      your position that Plato said the gods were virtuous
      abstrations. Perhaps you could enlighten me on this.

      --Monte

      =====
      --Monte Morris
      Philosopher wannabe