3953Re: [neoplatonism] Re: Book Recommendation

    Dec 3, 2010
      Curt, Greg, John and List,

      In Vedanta and Buddhism, it is the collective karma (the moral consequences of past actions) of a group of sentient beings together that creates a type of world appropriate to their karma. In the Ayurveda that both religions share, the "mutual interpermeation and mutual nonobstruction" of spiritual bodies becomes "mutually impenetrable and mutually obstructive" physical bodies because their collective karma is one of mutual opposition and obstruction. Physical worlds, elements, and bodies, as mutually repelling and obstructing is a karmic consquence of a prior morally problematic karma of mutually repelling and obstructing souls. Due to karma, speaking of two of the trigunas of sat, rajas, and tamas, all things can tend to be truthful (satya) and be true being (sat) as their dispositional quality (sat) that makes them mutually nonobstructive or they can tend toward false-ignorance and inertia as their dispositional quality (tamas).

      There are three bodies and five sheaths.

      The real body is the causal body or karana-sarira. Note that the word karana means cause but is another form of the word karma. So, in Tantric Buddhism and in Vainavaist Vedanta, this is the subliminal karmic disposition body or alaya-sarira that produces the karmic consequence bodies/worlds. Depending on the karmic dispositions that make up the karana-sarira, its sheath is either the awakened janamayakosa (or bodhimayakosa -- enlightened sheath) or the ajantamayakosa (ignorance sheath). In terms of both sheaths, they are two forms of anandamayakosa (bliss sheath) which is either enlightened karuna (compassion) or grasping desire (tanha).

      The rest of the bodies are moral consequence bodies. They are "destiny-bodies" as karmic outcomes. Note, destiny can either be fall or enlightenment. Thus, taking on lower bodies is destiny of fall. Developing an indestructible enlightenment body transforms the causal body itself into the destiny-body or body of free total-self-making or autonomy.

      The next one down is the subtle body or suksma sarira. It is also the linga sarira or index body becomes the moral vices and virtues, depending on one's karma, are visibly manifested in it. The subtle body is the direct manifestation and reflection of moral/karmic character. The subtle body is the embodiment of the soul (another implication of the index aspect) with three sheaths. These are the vijnanamayakosa (consciousness or noetic sheath), the manomayakosa (mind or dianoetic sheath), and the pranamayakosa (the vital or animating sheath).

      If one has really bad karma, one has another karma-consequence body which is the stula-sarira or dense-gross body. It is created out of the tamasic (the darkness, inertia, ignorance, and mutually obstructing, mutually predatory tending aspects of the elements, and hence, it is crystallized out of the mutually destructive -- hence mortal - entropic-towards death, contradiction, degeneration factors do to the moral karma of mutual obstruction in the causal body) tending elements of mutual opposition, mutual repelling, and hence, dense and solid and impenetrable elements. As such, the stula-sarira has for its sheath the anamayakosa or 'food sheath" (actually the mutual cannibalizing sheath as Schopenhauer realized or the food-chain sheath or self and mutual predatory sheath).

      The idea is that existence is relations of mutual interdependence and co-production that is either the stuff of karuna (compassion) that renders existence as one of mutual inter-penetration and mutual interpermeation or it is the stuff of tanha (selfish grasping) that renders existence into the hellish form of mutual interdependence and co-nourishing as mutual-eating of each other.

      So, physical obstruction, density and impenetrability are crystallized manifestations of the same bad moral and karmic properties.

      Now, in the ascent or return, the causal body or karana sarira itself becomes the divya-sarira -- destiny-divine body) that can manifest at will a deifed subtle body that is now the vajradeha (diamond body).

      Outside university, I formally studied Vedanta in the US and in Bihar India and Huayen Buddhism (in California -- there is a huge Chinese Buddhist Huayen and Tai'tai monastery north of San Francisco).