    Jul 15, 2010
      --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, "pythagoras11nl" <nico.bader@...> wrote:

      > L.S.
      >
      > Newsletter 14 is available via the Pythagoras Foundation website: http://www.stichting-pythagoras.nl/English/index.htm
      > Click Newsletter.
      >

      > Contents:
      >
      > Johan C. Thom: interview
      >
      > Golden Verses, translated by Johan Thom
      >
      > The Death of Pythagoras, by Bruce Pennington,
      >
      > Conferences / Symposia
      >
      > News, New books, New book chapters, Book reviews
      >
      > New journal articles
      >
      > Internet, film
      >

      > The deadline for contributions for the 15th Newsletter, (December, 2010) is December 20, 2010.
      >
      > Best wishes
      >

      > Nico Bader
      >
      > Pythagoras Foundation
      > Thorbeckelaan 46
      > 1412 BR Naarden
      > The Netherlands

      Many items of interest there, and thanks for including mention of my own efforts. Never would have thought to see my name on any page with Cornford's - !

      This new film about Pythagoras described in the newsletter certainly has a notable cast. I hope it turns out well. I found more about it online and here is the link to the production company's info at its own website:

      http://www.inkasfilms.com/feature.html

      Is it possible to imagine a film with Plotinus and Porphyry and Iamblichus now - ?!?

      Gore Vidal's Julian came close more than once to being filmed. At one point Robert Downey Jr. was being considered for Julian.

      Still no word I can find online for any general release of Agora in the US, though Amazon is now listing a US region DVD as upcoming, so I hope if nothing else it will be at some point available that way. I would personally prefer to see it in a real theater, but whatever.

      Here is a very well written article on the film by Susan Jacoby, someone I certainly admire, at the Washington Post. If only we hade now more voices of reason in this country such as hers, but alas, that is not the case:

      http://newsweek.washingtonpost.com/onfaith/spirited_atheist/2010/06/agora_a_rare_movie_with_reason_as_its_star.html

      I would quibble on only one of her points about the destruction of any large scale library at the time of the destruction of the Serapeum - between the disaster in Caesar's time and that of when Aurelian retook the city from Zenobia, there likely was some library remaining, but nothing even remotely like its former massive extent, but who is to say how much exactly was lost in the troubles of 391 to which she rightly otherwise refers, even if there was much less than the full Ptolemaic collection.

      But what happened to the texts that the Alexandrian Neoplatonists must have had in some sort of collection? The destruction after the Arabic conquest has been debunked now, correct? Those ovens heating the baths never burnt a single page, correct?

      Or did they really after all toast the last copy of Alexander of Aphrodisias' lost commentary on Aristotle's de Anima at that time? Apparently Philophonus had had access to it somehow a hundred years before...