3075Re: Cornford's Pythagoreanism

    Mar 2, 2010

      > Provocative topic and hoping lively discussion ensues. I'm not a
      > philosopher by profession, so not remotely well read in the general literature,
      > either secondary and original sources, as most of you are here. My interest
      > is more focused on understanding myself, what constitutes "its" experience
      > and the world. In that life-long, 70-year, process, Plotinus has come to
      > make the most sense to me in terms of offering a universally coherent
      > explanation; in this context especially noting I.8. From the quote, I think
      > Cornford understood the core problem. It remains so for me. Plotinus provides a
      > significant measure of solace, although inescapably requiring a deep
      > reverence for thauma.
      >
      > Was it Proclus who referred to the dyad as "the door"? If so, I'd
      > appreciate a pointer to the source citation.
      >
      > Thanks in advance for any light you all might shed.
      >
      > With eager interest,
      >
      > David Gallagher
      > Trumansburg, NY

      Personally I can't say about Proclus' calling the "Dyad" a door - I would have to research that. Certainly the Pythagoreans liked to use imagery like that, but that one specifically I don't recall encountering. If he did, he might have gotten it from some Pythagorean source. Sounds like the sort of thing that might be found in the intro to his commentary on Euclid or in the vastness of the Timaeus commentary...

      As to your other point, I do think Neoplatonism appeals more and more to me as I grow older. Not sure why, and I wish for my own sake I had been more involved at a younger age, such as when I was still in graduate school.