3074Re: [neoplatonism] Cornford's Pythagoreanism

  • dgallagher@aol.com
    Feb 27, 2010
      In a message dated 2/26/2010 7:01:18 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      vaeringjar@... writes:

      Here's something perhaps to start a discussion. Lately I have been
      concentrating on the Pythagoreans, both early and late, all the way to passages in
      the late commentators on Aristotle that of course are not always clear as
      to the provenance, Pythagorean, Platonic or Neopythagorean or some mix.
      Along the way I picked up this important artilce by Cornford... and just was
      most struck by his arguments....

      Provocative topic and hoping lively discussion ensues. I'm not a
      philosopher by profession, so not remotely well read in the general literature,
      either secondary and original sources, as most of you are here. My interest
      is more focused on understanding myself, what constitutes "its" experience
      and the world. In that life-long, 70-year, process, Plotinus has come to
      make the most sense to me in terms of offering a universally coherent
      explanation; in this context especially noting I.8. From the quote, I think
      Cornford understood the core problem. It remains so for me. Plotinus provides a
      significant measure of solace, although inescapably requiring a deep
      reverence for thauma.

      Was it Proclus who referred to the dyad as "the door"? If so, I'd
      appreciate a pointer to the source citation.

      Thanks in advance for any light you all might shed.

      With eager interest,

      David Gallagher
      Trumansburg, NY