3043Re: Letter Writing Campaign?? Re: [neoplatonism] Re: A Review of Agora from Le Monde

    Feb 8, 2010
      Hello Dennis,

      Let me list a few of the letter writing campaigns down here in the South (I moved here 20 years ago from San Francisco and still suffer culture shock).

      1. Protest of a 90s replay of an 80s film, "My Dinner with Andre" because it was too philosophical and makes people question their beliefs.
      2. Ambivalent protest of C.S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia films because they promoted black magic and occultism. It was ambivalent because some love his religious writings.
      3. Protesting Harry Potter films (black magic, occultism, devil worship).
      4. Protesting the Al Gore film on Climate Change ("scientists should roast in hell for being so dishonest as to fabricate stuff in favor of a liberal lie").
      5. Ambivalent protests about Gibson's film (some fundamentalist churches around here arranged a boycott line, others sponsored it and some student organizations were suspended because they targetted Jewish and Muslim students with free tickets and a brochure -- after being told not to, while yet others protested it as "too Catholic and they ain't true Christians"). So, you can imagine the scenario for,
      6. Da Vinci Code (proof Catholics are evil),
      7. National Treasure (against, suggests the Foundaing Fathers were all Deists and not Christians -- and thus, the US is not a Christian nation).
      8. Agora (protests because it suggests Christians don't allow unbelievers the opportunity, out of the love of Jesus' blood, to find their salvation -- before killed).

      I don't know where you reside, Dennis, but these are the types of political issues we confront in the South.

      Best, Thomas