3028Re: [neoplatonism] Re: A Review of Agora from Le Monde

  • Goya
    Feb 5, 2010

      > That's great news, glad to get your positive reactions - Lonsdale is a
      > fine actor, so another indication this is a serious effort. If the spirit
      > is right, a little historical inaccuracy is hardly the end of the world,
      > and it is a film and not a documentary, after all. I like Rachel Weisz and
      > she would seem a perfect choice for the role.
      >
      > Poor old Synesius - waits 1600 years for his "big moment" and then gets
      > rather slimed!
      >
      > Isn't it Eunapius who complains about the gangs of black-hooded Christian
      > thugs? They must have picked that up from him.

      M.C. Actually, it seems like they followed the account of Gibbon (Decline
      and fall ch. 47) right down to the details : the prefect Orestes wounded
      by a rock thrown by the Christian wonder-worker and rabble-rouser
      Ammonius, who is executed by the Romans and renamed Saint Thaumasius by
      Cyril.....etc.

      > I hope the film finds distribution here in America, but I won't hold my
      > breath. Maybe if the pagans were shown as tall, purple-skinned, and all
      > buffed and svelte...

      M.C. It is kind of hard to understand why it's taken so long: the film is
      in English, after all, and came out in 2008. But as Variety writes: "This
      elaborately produced English-language Spanish production is consistently
      spectacular and features enough conflict and action to make it marketable,
      but a certain heaviness of style and lack of an emotional pulse could pose
      problems for mass audience acceptance, at least in the U.S.".

      In other words, I take it, there is enough violence, but not enough sex...

      As far as atheism is concerned, H. is an agnostic, not an atheist: the
      reason she gives for not converting to Christianity is that she can't stop
      doubting and asking questions. In a rather unlikely scene, she is asked
      "What then do you believe in?" and answers, "Philosophy". I don't believe
      any pagan philosopher would have answered that: philosophy was never an
      object of faith or belief, but a means to an end (happiness, assimilation
      to the divinity, etc.), rather than an end in itself.

      Best, Mike