2900Proclus' Theology of Plato - a seventh book?

  • Tim Addey
    Dec 7, 2009
      In Taylor's 1812 introduction to his translation of the six books of
      Proclus on the Theology of Plato he says "I have added a seventh book in
      order to render the work complete; for without the development of the
      mundane Gods, and the more excellent genera their perpetual attendants,
      it would obviously be incomplete. From the catalogue of the manuscripts
      in the late French King's library, it is evident that Proclus had
      written a seventh book as some chapters of it are there said to be
      extant in that library. These I have endeavoured, but without success,
      to obtain." He adds as a footnote, "Proclus at the end of the first
      book of this work says, 'that divine names will be accurately discussed
      by him, when he comes to speak of partial powers.' This, however, is
      not done by him in any one of the six books that are extant; which shows
      that another book is wanting."

      I know that Taylor's supposition that there was once a seventh book is
      now generally considered to be wrong, but I would be interested to know
      if anyone has followed up the "catalogue of manuscripts" and a possible
      entry in it pointing to Proclus and a possible seventh book. Does the
      catalogue of Louis XVI (I assume) still exist?

      Alternatively, is there now clear evidence that the six books are
      actually the complete work?