      From: vaeringjar <vaeringjar@...>
      Subject: [neoplatonism] Re: Penelope Analyzed
      To: neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com

      --- In neoplatonism@ yahoogroups. com, John Uebersax <john.uebersax@ ...> wrote:

      > Thanks Dennis.
      >
      > I had composed a post on Penelope but apparently didn't post it before, as I don't see it now. I'll try to reconstruct it:
      >
      > The following are some thoughts about interpretation of the Penelope "myth" from a Jungian viewpoint.
      >
      > Penelope: an anima figure; in a general sense playing a comparable role to Athena relative to Odysseus; hence a Wisdom (Sophia) figure.

      I think you get 4 anima figures in a Jungian interpretation of the Odyssey - Circe, Calypso, Nausicaa, and then finally Penelope. You can see the progression, from the lowest, totally devouring monster anima figure in Circe, to the more advanced Calypso but who is still holding him back from full integration, etc., for 7 years, to the fresh young Nausicaa whom he meets essentially at what can be seen as his point of rebirth, in fact when he is literally naked washed up onshore, back finally among humankind, and the of course the re-marriage, the coniunctio oppositorum as you point out, with Penelope, the fully developed stage of the anima.

      Only then can he go plant his oar - so to speak!!!