2793Re: [neoplatonism] Neoplatonism book reviews

  • John Uebersax
    Nov 1, 2009
      A while back I tried to compile a list of Platonists in the Italian Renaissance, beginning with Marsilio Ficino's Florentine circle. It didn't take long before the list expanded to an unmanageable level. There were Platonists all over the place, beyond counting. And this was probably true in other historical periods as well. We know about the famous figures. But they were just the tip of the iceberg. We like to think it's the famous figures who define the history of philosophy. That's one view. An alternative is that it's the zeitgeist that evolves, and that the famous figures are markers, indicators of the zeitgeist -- or maybe catalysts -- but not the same as the zeitgeist itself. It's arguably the greater numbers of students and scholars quietly studying Platonism on their own that are the defining element.