2763Re: Proclus on Plato's Parmenides (Steel)

    Oct 8 11:31 AM
      --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, John Uebersax <john.uebersax@...> wrote:
      > Dennis Clark wrote:
      > > Oh, look what I just found has shown up now on the Cambridge U
      > > Press site. Available in July:
      > >
      > > http://www.cambridge.org/us/catalogue/catalogue.asp?isbn=0521876427#
      > Thanks for posting this, Dennis. My reaction from looking at the contents is simply: Wow!
      > > I can't quite make out what the image is on the cover - looks
      > > like something to do with the sun.
      > Could that be a cratered moon on the right?

      I think you are right - half sun, half moon.

      > While we're at it, members might be interested to learn about this coming volume also:
      > The Cambridge History of Medieval Philosophy (due January 2010)
      > http://www.cambridge.org/us/catalogue/catalogue.asp?isbn=9780521866729
      > John Uebersax

      I just wish, obviously, these books now were not so horribly expensive.

      It's really nice to see the breadth of the coverage in the Later Antiquity volume, including separate chapters on Simplicius, Priscian, Olympiodorus et al, and that it goes all the way up to Eriugena. So often in earlier works like this, the later writers jsut get lumped in together, but not here. To say nothing of the experts matched to their particular strong suits, most of which speak for themselves.

      Simplicius is one I have been curious about to know more on his own views rather than as a commentator - but is there enough of that nature in his commentaries to be read between the lines or otherwise to represent his own views?