2759Re: [neoplatonism] Re: Proclus on Plato's Parmenides (Steel)

  • John Dillon
    Oct 4, 2009

      > --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com <mailto:neoplatonism%40yahoogroups.com> ,

      >>> <mailto:neoplatonism%40yahoogroups.com>
      >>> <mailto:neoplatonism%40yahoogroups.com> ,

      Carlos

      >>> to the
      >>> edition
      >>> ancient or
      >>> this

      >>> here in
      >>> answer

      >>> run.

      >> > No, Dennis, the Greek version of Book VII is a rather clever
      >> > back-translation by Carlos Steel and a colleague ­ sounds *almost* like
      >> > Proclus (William being a bit of a machine-translator!). I don¹t have the
      >> > exact details of the edition to hand, but someone else may have. John
      >> Dillon

      > Thanks, Prof Tarrant and Dillon - and we could call it "near Proclus" or
      > Pseudo-Proclus - ? :)
      >
      > I guess the next question is, do we quote now from this back-translation when
      > citing Book VII or stick with the Latin of Moerbeke? Perhaps it's too soon to
      > tell what the practice will be. I can see situations where both would be
      > relevant, if someone were for instance, discussing a specific term and its
      > meaning, as opposed to a simple straightfoward citation of a passage just to
      > bring it to the reader's general attention.
      >
      > Only an old beaten up maintenance programmer like myself worn down by years of
      > IT battles would even worry about such an issue...
      >
      > Dennis Clark

      I have since had a chance to speak with Carlos Steel, himself, and to see
      the the new Vol III, and what is included there is a new, improved
      back-translation of Book VII, which I look forward to studying! John