2449Occultism, irrationality, cult of personality

  • Robert Wallace
    Mar 13, 2009
      Dear Michael,

      It looks as though Peter Mutnik would have been well advised not to
      mention "Babaji," who however as far as I know has done nothing (if
      indeed he ever existed) to put himself in the same category as
      Rajneesh and Jim Jones. I don't know what Iamblichus may have done to
      encourage the cult of personality that apparently did grow up around
      him. I doubt whether Jakob Boehme or William Blake can be accused of
      encouraging anything like that.

      Obviously I share your suspicion of cults of personality in general.
      As far as "occultism" is concerned, much of it (as in Boehme) seems
      quite harmless--and _may_ contain insights worth taking seriously. As
      for irrationality--I follow Plato in seeking freedom through reason,
      but I also agree with him (Phaedrus) that _some_ forms of apparent
      "madness" are deeply beneficial and it is therefore rational not to
      exclude them from one's life. They are evidence, perhaps, of a deeper
      kind of reasoning or thought than the kind that we're conscious of
      engaging in, in normal waking life. I have had considerable experience
      of this sort of thing in my own recent life--dreams and a vision that
      conveyed insights to me that my conscious mind was later able to
      endorse, but wasn't able to generate on its own.

      So the boundary between the truly "irrational" (the madness that is
      _not_ "God-given") and the "rational" is not easy to draw, but needs
      to be explored with an open mind. I have little doubt that Peter
      Mutnik crossed it. But I doubt that his life would have been more
      successful if he had kept away from _all_ apparent "madness."

      Best, Bob