2248M.A.B. Deakin, Hypatia of Alexandria. Mathematician and Martyr

  • Christoph Helmig
    Nov 8, 2008
      Dear all,

      just a word on Deakin's new book on Hypatia. It includes a short
      section on the trinity (pp. 39-41, in the chapter "The Religious
      Background"), but the author is more interested in Hypatia's studies
      of mathematics and astronomy (pp. 87-113 plus an appendix
      "Mathematical Details", pp.115-126). Deakin's study contains extensive
      notes (pp. 161-213) and a translation of the primary sources on
      Hypatia that came down to us (pp. 137-159; these translations are
      mostly based on Migne and I haven't checked them yet; see also Ian
      Mueller, "Hypatia", in: Grinstein/Campbell, Women of Mathematics,
      Westport 1987, 74-79 which Deakin calls "the best accessible summary
      of all"). Moreover, there is an index and a useful annotated
      bibliography (not always up to date, but very good for older studies,
      before 1900). Strangely enough, Deakin is using Migne for most (not
      all) authors quoted, but then, again, the author is probably more of a
      mathematician with an interest in the history of science.

      See also: http://wwmat.mat.fc.ul.pt/~jnsilva/Sherlock/hypatia2.pdf

      I find it very difficult to judge the overall quality of Deakin's
      book, but it is certainly very different from other 'Hypatian folklore'.

      Best,
      Christoph