2246Re: [neoplatonism] Re: Please Post Message-Thanks

  • Curt Steinmetz
    Nov 7, 2008
      The book is definitely worth reading - and it's currently on sale!
      However, the focus is primarily on inter-Christian violence - with less
      attention to conflicts between Christians and Pagans.

      The book does provide the backstory for the quote - as follows:

      "In the early fifth century, the Egyptian monk Shenoute isssued an open
      letter containing a thundering denunciation of a local pagan magnate.
      Shenoute and his followers had taken the law into their own hands,
      ransacked the pagan's house, and smashed his idols. In response to the
      magnate's accusation of lesteia - banditry, crime, illegal violence -
      against him, Shenoute proclaimed that 'there is no crime for those who
      have Christ.'"

      Curt

      P.S. See the University of California Press website for sale prices on
      books - sale ends TODAY, btw.