      From: vaeringjar
      To: neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Friday, November 07, 2008 2:57 PM
      Subject: [neoplatonism] Re: Please Post Message-Thanks

      --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Moore" <patristics@...>
      wrote:

      > One should be careful not to remove that statement from the
      theological context in which it was uttered.

      > Edward

      I'll bite - what exactly was the context of the remark, and who said
      it?

      I have never heard this before, and I have read quite a bit on the
      subject of the struggle between Christianity and Paganism - Twombley,
      Chuvin, McMullen. Tried to look the quotation up online but got way
      too many hits on a new book with that same title, on religious
      violence in the late empire, that does sound worth reading:

      http://www.ucpress.edu/books/pages/9582.php

      Dennis Clark