2058Iamblichus 'eye of wisdom' alleged reference

  • Leonard George
    May 8, 2008
      Hi ~

      I've run across the following statement on a website concerning ancient
      medical knowledge:

      'Iamblichus repeats the statement of Plato that the study of the
      science of Numbers tends to awaken that organ in the brain which the
      ancients described as the "eye of wisdom", the organ now known to
      physiology as the pineal gland.'

      I imagine the Plato reference is to Republic VII. Could anyone point
      me toward the specific passage in Iamblichus to which this might be

      Thanks very much,

      Leonard George
    • Show all 22 messages in this topic