1720Plotinus and prohodos and epistrophe

    Sep 1, 2007
      I am seeking some help here on the subject of the development of the
      concept of procession and return. I thought I had found an article
      that from some other reference to it led me to believe it examined
      that development, but I rather lost track of the reference, until I
      think I found it today:

      Jean-François Pradeau, L'imitation du principe. Plotin et la
      participation. Histoire des doctrines de l'antiquité classique,
      XXX. Paris: Librairie Philosophique J. Vrin, 2003.

      Is anyone familiar with this piece? I actually rather thought it was
      a German scholar I had found writing on procession, so perhaps this
      is all wrong and I have muddled it up.

      At any rate, I haven't been able in any of the books I have on
      Plotinus to find much about this subject. It rather just seems to be
      assumed in discussions of Plotinus, it seems to me.

      So is the consensus that he developed this idea, but it just appears
      already full-blown in his writings, as it were, in the various
      Enneads? I can't think of any Middle Platonist who refers to the
      idea, and I don't see how any could unless he held at least some sort
      of Neopythagorean beliefs - procession and return require a priori
      some sort of central principle like the One, correct? There is
      certainly nothing like it in any of the extant testimony on Plato's
      Unwritten Doctrines that I know of.

      Any help here glady accepted, especially if there is some locus
      classicus in the secondary literature discussing the development of
      procession and return. Among other things I am trying to determine if
      it could in any way be pre-Plotinian. Thanks.