TERA e.letter 9/1/05

  • Joanne Turner
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2005
      THE EAGLE ROCK ASSOCIATION
      -- Invest in Your Community --

      TERA
      e.letter

      September 1, 2005

      Learn more about us
      and how we are changing our community for the better.

      Are you a TERA member yet?
      Join the "in" crowd now! Here's how:

      Click on
      http://www.TERA90041.org/teraform.htm

      Now more than ever, please support your residents association --
      well over 1,000 members strong, and growing every day!

      Please encourage interested friends and neighbors to send their email
      addresses
      to us at e.letter@... so we can keep them informed as well.

      This week:

      1. TERA PRESIDENT'S MESSAGE -- MICHAEL THARP

      2. TERA'S COUNCIL CANDIDATE "MEET AND GREET" -- SEPTEMBER 6

      3. EAST LA REPERTORY THEATRE COMPANY PRESENTS ROMEO & JULIET -- SEPTEMBER 2

      4. FRIDAY NIGHTS @ NOT A CORNFIELD -- SEPTEMBER 2

      5. SALE AT THE BLISSFUL SOUL TO BENEFIT HURRICANE KATRINA VICTIMS --
      SEPTEMBER 3

      6. TRANSIT PASSAGES -- SIX FRENCH ARTISTS AT AVENUE 50 STUDIO -- SEPTEMBER
      3

      7. DEMONSTRATE YOUR HOME RESTORATION OR DECORATING SKILLS AT TERA'S HOME
      TOUR

      8. EAGLE ROCK ELEMENTARY EDUCATION FOUNDATION ANNUAL FUNDRAISER --
      SEPTEMBER 24

      9. CALL FOR ENTRIES -- "SCENES OF EAGLE ROCK" AND "LIVE ART' -- APPLY BY
      SEPTEMBER 30

      10. UGLA ANNUAL FUNDRAISER AUDITIONS -- SEPTEMBER 24

      11. MARK YOUR CALENDARS! -- TERA'S ECLECTIC EAGLE ROCK HOME TOUR --
      NOVEMBER 6

      12. LETTERS AND E.MAILS

      13. QUOTE OF THE WEEK -- HENRY FORD

      1. TERA PRESIDENT'S MESSAGE -- MICHAEL THARP

      Well, Mary Tokita was out again working with her "Gardening Grunts" in the
      Eagle Rockdale Community Garden last Saturday, this time in 100 degree heat.
      We had to be careful no one collapsed and got buried in the raised beds,
      constructed by the LA Conservation Corps. It really is starting to look
      like a garden, and those of you in the community who want plots should
      contact Joan MacNeil or Mary Tokita at communitygarden@....
      Special recognition should be given to Dave Gustavson, who manned the
      trencher for about four hours straight in sweltering heat. He worked twice
      as hard as Mary, and Mary worked about twice as hard as anybody else and
      because of that the Community Garden is just that much closer to completion.
      Not to be left out of the categories of dirty, sweaty and stinky, but oh so
      productive, are Frank "I¹m a gardening fool" Parrello, Liz "I do my best
      work sitting in the shade" Wagner, Joan "Do you think anyone will miss this
      bottle of Gatorade?" MacNeil, Juliann "Gardening is a color-coordinated
      effort" Lancer, and Kacy "People keep giving me broken glass" Treadway.
      There also was the couple who were so busy working after signing up for
      their garden plot that I never got their name, as well as the wonderful
      neighbor, Opie, who brought us thirsty and tired gardeners gallons of fresh,
      icy cold cantaloupe juice. I¹m sure I¹ve missed some of the participants,
      but those of you who showed up and worked in the summer sun last Saturday
      have TERA¹s deep thanks. Just a few more weekends and it will be up and
      running!

      But that was then and this is now, and the Candidate Meet and Greet is set
      for next Tuesday, September 6th. The location and details are given below,
      but the importance of the event cannot be over-emphasized. All politics is
      local as some noted grammarian opined, and local politics is coming right to
      your own local Center for the Arts. If you don¹t show up to meet, greet,
      and talk to the candidates and learn what they are about, if you don¹t make
      an informed decision when you cast your vote in the Special Election to fill
      the vacant CD 14 seat, the complaints you might have about how things are
      being or not being done are going to have a somewhat hollow ring to them.
      Enough lecturing! Show up and get to know all of the candidates putting in
      an appearance on your home turf a little bit better!

      And, of course, the next big thing is just around the corner. I refer to
      TERA¹s up and coming Eclectic Eagle Rock Home Tour. The Home Tour Committee
      is working hard to make this the best Home Tour ever, and there are some
      fabulous homes on the Tour this year as well as a great opportunity to see
      and be seen on the residential streets of Eagle Rock. I hope that you will
      not only attend this year¹s Home Tour but will take the opportunity to
      involve yourself by becoming a docent or volunteer. Contacts are listed
      below, and I can unequivocally state that the Home Tour is one of the most
      fun events in all of Eagle Rock in which to participate. It might not quite
      be the same as sweltering in the Community Garden in August, but hey . . .
      it wouldn¹t do if we were all alike!

      Get out there and enjoy Eagle Rock this weekend!!!

      2. TERA'S COUNCIL CANDIDATE "MEET AND GREET" -- SEPTEMBER 6

      Please join TERA this coming Tuesday, September 6, in our quest to help you
      choose the best candidate to represent Eagle Rock and the rest of Council
      District 14 in the upcoming election on November 8.

      Council District 14 "Meet and Greet"
      Tuesday, September 6
      7:00 p.m.
      Center for the Arts, Eagle Rock
      2225 Colorado Boulevard
      Eagle Rock

      Come for great food and good conversation! When TERA sponsored a similar
      event for the CD 14 candidates back in 1999, TERA got RAVE reviews from
      attendees and candidates alike. We have a total of 10 candidates for the
      November 8 ballot -- come meet them all! We hope to see you there.

      3. EAST LA REPERTORY THEATRE COMPANY PRESENTS ROMEO & JULIET -- SEPTEMBER 2

      East Los Angeles Repertory Theatre Company presents a special one-night-only
      fundraising performance of
      Romeo & Juliet by William Shakespeare

      Friday, Septempter 2, 2005
      8:00 p.m.
      Admission $15
      La Casa Del Mexicano Theater
      2900 Calle Pedro Infante, LA CA 90063
      Food provided by Taco Boy

      For more information:
      (323) 788-3880
      jreyes@...
      http://www.eastlarep.com

      East LA Rep invites you to join us for a special fundraising performance of
      our touring R&J show. Your contribution will go towards funding the
      incredible cast that has given their time and talent bringing this tragic
      love story of young love, parental ignorance, and societal strife to life.
      The ensemble of talented actors is, Richard Andrade, Mariella Saba,
      Francisco Garcia, Fanny Garcia, Eva G. Rios, Sergio Villarreal, and Karen
      Anzoategui.

      For the third consecutive year East LA Rep will tour a classic play to
      various parks in East Los Angeles, this summer the production of R&J will be
      seen from the edge of East Los Angeles in Boyle Heights and as far east as
      the city of Whittier. (for more info visit our web page www.eastlarep.com
      <http://www.eastlarep.com/> )

      Special thanks to County of Los Angeles Department of Parks and Recreation
      and the office of Gloria Molina, Supervisor 1st District

      Mission
      East Los Angeles Repertory Theatre Company is dedicated to producing works
      by emerging and established playwrights of Latino heritage thereby promoting
      the essential role of Latino theatre to the American stage. East LA Rep also
      brings theatre to underserved communities with summer offering of classic
      plays as part of our Free Shakespeare at East LA Parks and theatre
      programming to educational and community organizations lacking arts support.

      4. FRIDAY NIGHTS @ NOT A CORNFIELD -- SEPTEMBER 2

      Lauren Bon and Not A Cornfield cordially invite you to:

      Friday Nights @ Not A Cornfield
      Artist Salon
      "The Future of Objects"
      Lauren Bon In Conversation with Greg Gale & Jenny Montgomery

      FRIDAY SEPTEMBER 2 @ 7:30pm

      Growing in the historic center of Los Angeles, the Not Cornfield project
      transforms an industrial brownfield site into a cornfield for one
      agricultural cycle. Now the Los Angeles Historic State Park, the site
      popularly known as 'The Cornfield' had remained derelict for more than a
      decade. The project serves as a potent metaphor that provides a focus for
      reflection and action in a city unclear about the location of its energetic
      and historic center.

      Friday Nights @ Not A Cornfield brings people together in order to share,
      engage, energize, and enhance the organic nexus that is this project.

      Not A Cornfield artist Lauren Bon, packaging solutions inventor and designer
      Greg Gale, and researcher Jenny Montgomery discuss object making with
      biodegradable materials, including creating a post-Harvest corn-based
      container that will represent the potential of how we, as consumers, take
      responsibility for what we allow back into the earth after it is no longer
      "useful." Gale has agreed to help Not a Cornfield in an unprecedented
      experiment to mold cornstalk into a material that will cradle a second life
      for some of the corn.

      Not a Cornfield artist, Lauren Bon resides in Los Angeles and holds a
      Masters of Architecture degree from MIT and a BA from Princeton. Ms. Bon is
      a trustee of the Annenberg Foundation and President of Not A Cornfield, LLC.
      Her recent urban, public and land art projects in the U.S., Hong Kong,
      Belfast and Northern Ireland, as well as her role as a trustee, make her
      uniquely poised to build the capacity of the Foundation in the area of site
      based philanthropy, serving communities through education, civic, health,
      artistic initiatives and programs. Not a Cornfield art project is being
      developed through a grant by Annenberg Foundation.

      Greg Gale is a highly creative inventor and designer of earth-friendly
      packaging solutions. He is the founder of Regale Corp in Napa Valley, where
      he developed a technology that molds fiber pulp into energy saving,
      biodegradable packaging solutions. With the help of Bill Ortz at the Western
      Regional Branch of the USDA, Gale has successfully experimented with and
      transformed agricultural "waste" or bio-mass into products that are
      traditionally made from non-renewable resources.

      Jenny Montgomery has been researching the myriad uses of corn in the
      post-industrial age as well as concepts in sustainable agriculture and
      economics. She has specifically sought innovative and environmentally loving
      applications of the Not a Cornfield corn and stalks come harvest time.

      Not A Cornfield
      1201 North Spring Street
      Phone: 323.226.1158
      Always Free to the Public, Handicapped Accessible
      Free Parking at South and North Gates

      DIRECTIONS (NORTH GATE): From the intersection of North Spring and College
      (Gold Line - Chinatown stop) take North Spring north 3 blocks to the
      northern end of the project site. The entrance is on the left, co-located
      at 1799 Baker Street.

      For more information, live Webcam, and a map, please visit the Not A
      Cornfield website at
      http://www.notacornfield.info

      5. SALE AT THE BLISSFUL SOUL TO BENEFIT HURRICANE KATRINA VICTIMS --
      SEPTEMBER 3

      The Blissful Soul will have a summer clearance sale this Saturday, September
      3, 10am to 6pm, and 10% of all proceeds will be donated to the American Red
      Cross. We have family in Slidell, Louisiana, who have evacuated safely
      (thank heavens) but the extent of their loss is still unknown.  We feel for
      all the victims of this tragedy.  We extend our sincerest sympathy and
      wishes of hope to all those who also have friends and family in the Gulf
      region.  We intend to make a significant personal contribution to the relief
      effort, and your purchases on Saturday will allow us to make a contribution
      from our business as well.

      -- the Cheryl and David at The Blissful Soul

      6. TRANSIT PASSAGES -- SIX FRENCH ARTISTS AT AVENUE 50 STUDIO -- SEPTEMBER
      3

      Guest-curated by Monique Frobert-Adamo, Galerie Par-ci Par-la, Lyon, France

      Exhibition Dates: September 1-30, 2005
      Artists' Reception, Saturday, September 3, 2005, 7-10 pm

      If you could not make it to France this summer, de rien (that's okay),
      because a little bit of France is settling into LA this fall, as Avenue 50
      Studio in Highland Park welcomes six artistes from Galerie Par-ci Par-la in
      Lyon, for their first-ever stateside exhibition.

      From the flowery psychedelia of Michael Relave's Kama Sutra suite to the
      atmospheric landscapes of Lyon after dark by Josette Aschenbroich-Bordet,
      Galerie Par-ci Par-la's curator Monique Frobert-Andamo brings us paintings
      and photographs alive with the joie de vivre of her six emerging artists.

      Montaged photographs of flora and fauna by Dominique Le Pen; petites
      emblematic hand paintings by Patricia Belbachir; and woman-centered works on
      paper by Emilie Teillaud round out the show, with a surprise artist yet to
      be announced.

      Please join us, s'il vous plait, on Saturday, September 3, from 7 to 10pm,
      for la réception d'ouverture (the opening reception) -- a night of French
      art and musique, conversation and cinéma, wine and cheese (mais
      naturellement) – and the start of a new bond between the Latino artists of
      Los Angeles and the emerging French artists of Lyon.

      Quand / When: Saturday, September 3, 2005, 7-10 pm

      Ou / Where: Avenue 50 Studio, Inc.,
      131 No. Avenue 50, Los Angeles, CA 90042
      (323) 258-1435

      7. DEMONSTRATE YOUR HOME RESTORATION OR DECORATING SKILLS AT TERA'S HOME
      TOUR

      The Eclectic Eagle Rock Home Tour 2005, sponsored by TERA, is being held
      this year on November 6. Do you have a home restoration or decorating skill
      you'd like to demonstrate that day? We would like to have a few volunteers
      to perform their demonstrations along the tour route. If your business is
      restoring items or anything related to preserving or celebrating our great
      character homes, you are welcome to have cards and brochures and publicize
      yourself and your business. Do you know how to restore old windows?
      Refinish furniture?

      Please contact Tracy King at 626-844-2256 or tracyking5@.... TERA also
      needs volunteers to work the day of the Home Tour. All volunteers receive a
      ticket to the tour and an invitation to our always fun after-party!

      To serve as a docent, contact Kathleen Goldstein at goldleroux@.... To
      volunteer in another capacity, contact Teri Aranguren at tacpa@....
      Thanks!

      8. EAGLE ROCK ELEMENTARY EDUCATION FOUNDATION ANNUAL FUNDRAISER --
      SEPTEMBER 24

      Contact: Jillian Pierson, Eagle Rock Elementary Education Foundation
      jilliank@...
      tel (323)256-4875

      Eagle Rock Elementary School parents invite the community to support their
      annual fundraiser, a Luau to be held at the Center for the Arts, Eagle Rock.

      Eagle Rock Elementary Educational Foundation (EREEF) is inviting members of
      the Eagle Rock community to attend its second annual kick-off event. The
      Foundation is planning a Luau-themed event to be held at the Eagle Rock
      Center for the Arts on Colorado Boulevard Saturday, September 24, 2005 from
      6:00 ­ 9:00 pm. Along with an authentic Hawaiian dinner, attendees will
      enjoy live music performed by local singer-songwriters. SWORK will provide
      coffee and dessert. A silent auction will feature a wide variety of
      offerings from area businesses, including dinner at Eagle Rock¹s firehouse,
      basketball camp at Occidental College, and tickets for performances at
      Disney Concert Hall.

      "This event is a lot of fun; but more importantly, it¹s a terrific
      fundraiser for the kids," says Dorothy Talesh, co-founder of EREEF and
      parent of three ERE students. Last year¹s kickoff event, which grossed over
      $5,000, went directly to improve the education of the over 1000 students who
      attend Eagle Rock Elementary School, a National Blue Ribbon award-winning
      school in the Los Angeles Unified School District. "It¹s an excellent
      school in many ways," adds Elissa Johnston, another ERE parent. "But LAUSD
      cannot provide the funds needed to make it the campus our children deserve.
      EREEF¹s goal is to help bridge the gap."

      The Eagle Rock Elementary Educational Foundation was established in 2004 by
      parents to raise money from individual, corporate, and charitable donors for
      major improvements to the school, working alongside a very active PTA. This
      summer the Foundation purchased a brand new copier to replace the school¹s
      aging and rapidly failing machine. With grant money from the Anne and Kirk
      Douglas Foundation and from the Eagle Rock Neighborhood Council and Los
      Angeles Matching Funds, a new kindergarten playground structure will be
      installed in the next few weeks. The 300-plus members of EREEF are also
      working to provide an enriched after-school program, a full-time computer
      teacher and a music and art teacher.

      The Foundation Luau is open to all adults.

      Tickets may be purchased for $30 each by sending a check payable to
      ³Community Partners FBO EREEF² to P.O. Box 41-2705, Eagle Rock, CA, 90041.
      Guests may call Lisa Calleja (323/899-0730) or Suzanne Smith (323/333-1630)
      for more information.

      9. CALL FOR ENTRIES -- "SCENES OF EAGLE ROCK" AND "LIVE ART' -- APPLY BY
      SEPTEMBER 30

      The Eagle Rock Association (TERA), in conjunction with our annual Eclectic
      Eagle Rock Home Tour on Sunday, November 6, presents the "Scenes of Eagle
      Rock" Art Exhibit + "Live Art" participatory opportunity for all interested
      artists.

      "Scenes of Eagle Rock" Art Exhibit

      For two weeks preceding TERA's 2005 Eclectic Eagle Rock Home Tour, artists
      throughout Southern California are invited to paint, draw, photograph or
      otherwise portray scenes indoors or outdoors in beautiful Eagle Rock,
      following in the tradition of such legendary artists as Conrad Buff and
      Hanson Puthuff or using your unlimited imagination. This is all part of the
      annual Eclectic Eagle Rock Home Tour on Sunday, November 6. This exciting
      event attracts hundreds of visitors to our historic neighborhood every year.

      Framed finished artworks will be presented as an art exhibition at the
      breathlessly beautiful Carlotta's Passion Fine Art gallery, which is located
      at 2012 Colorado Boulevard in Eagle Rock. Scenes of Eagle Rock will be
      displayed on Sunday, November 6, during the Home Tour and will continue to
      be shown until Sunday, November 13.

      All artwork entries must depict interior or exterior scenes within the
      community of Eagle Rock. A list of suggested locations and picturesque
      sites is available upon request. All styles and media are welcomed. There
      is a limit of one submission per artist. Mounted finished artwork must not
      exceed 26" in width and 32" in height and must be equipped for hanging.
      Artists will receive 60% of any sales made during Scenes of Eagle Rock
      exhibit. The artist's portion of the retail price cannot exceed $500. A
      three-panel jury will choose work to be shown and award four certificates of
      merit. The top winner's artwork will be prominently displayed in next
      year's Eclectic Eagle Rock Home Tour program, and all participating artists
      will receive free tickets to attend this year's Home Tour.

      In addition to the above-mentioned certificates of merit, we are pleased to
      offer a purchase award this year.

      "Live Art"

      We also want to encourage artists to participate in our one-day Scenes of
      Eagle Rock "Live Art" on Sunday, November 6, from 10 am to 4pm during the
      Home Tour. "Live Art" locations include the homes and gardens featured in
      the Eclectic Eagle Rock Home Tour or anywhere along the Home Tour route. A
      list of the homes will be sent to participating artists. The artwork
      produced on this day will be displayed at the volunteer appreciation party
      on Sunday, November 6, starting at 4:30pm at the Center for the Arts, Eagle
      Rock.

      IMPORTANT DATES

      September 30 -- Application Deadline
      November 3 -- Take Finished and Framed Work to Gallery
      November 4 -- Installation of Exhibition
      November 6 -- Home Tour and "Live Art" Day
      November 6 -- Artists Reception and Awards Presentation, 1:00 pm Carlotta's
      Passion
      November 6 -- Volunteers Appreciation Party 4:30 pm, Center for the Arts,
      Eagle Rock
      November 13 -- Exhibition Ends at Gallery
      November 14-20 -- Pick Up Work at Gallery

      Please print and fill out the application below and enclose a $20 entry fee
      (check payable to TERA)

      Mail to:

      Lori Pond
      5447 Dahlia Drive
      Los Angeles, CA 90041

      Thursday, November 3, 12 noon to 4:00pm, is Delivery Date for Artwork!

      For additional information call Lori or Mike Pond at (323) 256-1329 or
      e.mail fstop888@...
      _________________________

      "SCENES OF EAGLE ROCK" AND "LIVE ART" APPLICATION

      Artist's Name
      ___

      Address
      ___

      City & Zip
      ___

      Phone ____________________________ e.mail
      address________________________________

      Medium
      ___

      Check Events you wish to participate in:

      O Scenes of Eagle Rock Art Exhibit

      O Scenes of Eagle Rock "Live Art"

      10. UGLA ANNUAL FUNDRAISER AUDITIONS -- SEPTEMBER 24

      Uptown Gay and Lesbian Alliance (UGLA) will be holding its 15th annual
      Fundraiser, Cabaret '05, on October 22, at the Women's Twentieth Century
      Club in Eagle Rock. This will be the third year UGLA has held its Cabaret
      at the Women's Club.

      Auditions for this talent showcase (which is not a staging of the Broadway
      musical "Cabaret") will take place on September 24 at a private home in
      Eagle Rock. Singers, musicians, dancers, lip-sync artists and specialty
      acts are encouraged to audition. For an audition time call Cabaret Chair
      Carl Matthes at (323) 254-2726 or Joan Potter at (323) 258-2555.

      The Dance Department of Glendale Community College has accepted an
      invitation to make a return engagement in this year's Cabaret. Veteran
      Stage Director Ken Kane will direct Cabaret 05.

      In past years, funds raised by Cabaret went to: AIDS Healthcare Foundation,
      AIDS Service Center (Pasadena), Project 10, GLAAD, Project Angel Food, Susan
      G. Komen Breast Foundation, Alcoholism Center for Women, PAWS/LA, SPCA,
      Center for the Arts, Eagle Rock, Optimist Boys Home, and others.

      Auditions: September 24
      Cabaret '05 Event date: October 22
      Women's Twentieth Century Club
      5105 Hermosa Avenue (corner of Colorado Boulevard)
      Eagle Rock

      For more information, please contact:

      UGLA
      P. O. Box 65111
      Los Angeles CA 90065
      e.mail: UptownGLA@...
      UGLA hotline: (323) 258-8842
      http://www.UGLA.org

      11. MARK YOUR CALENDARS! -- TERA'S ECLECTIC EAGLE ROCK HOME TOUR --
      NOVEMBER 6

      Be sure to attend TERA's Eclectic Eagle Rock Home Tour on Sunday, November
      6! This year we are featuring the Mt. Royal Drive neighborhood north of
      Colorado. It's less than three months away and is guaranteed to be great!

      Volunteer to serve as a docent or fill another volunteer position and get a
      free ticket to the tour as well as an invitation to our famous and always
      fun after-party. Please contact the following:

      To serve as a docent: Kathleen Goldstein at goldleroux@...
      To volunteer in another capacity: Teri Aranguren at tacpa@...

      12. LETTERS AND E.MAILS

      "Could you please add me to your list? Thanks, Joanne, and keep up the
      great work!!"

      -- Sylvia Sermons, Eagle Rock resident and TERA member

      13. QUOTE OF THE WEEK -- HENRY FORD

      "You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do."

      Got graffiti? Contact the City of LA¹s Operation Clean Sweep Graffiti
      Removal Hotline: 3 - 1 - 1.

      Distributed weekly via e.mail and as a regular feature on various Internet
      discussion groups, the TERA e.letter is read by well over 2,000 readers (and
      probably more) with an interest in Eagle Rock and Northeast Los Angeles.
      Please encourage interested friends to send their full name and e.mail
      address to us at e.letter@... so we can keep them informed, too.

      If you have changed your e.mail address or would like to be removed from
      this list, send us an e.mail to e.letter@... with the word(s)
      "remove" or "address change" in the subject box, as appropriate.

      POLICY ON SUBMITTING A NOTICE: If you have a press release, letter of
      comment, question or other notice that you feel might be of interest to the
      Eagle Rock community, send it to e.letter@.... Your announcement
      -- in the form of an e.mail text message, (no attachments, please) -- should
      be in our hands by noon on Tuesday to be considered for inclusion in that
      week's issue.

      ©2005 The Eagle Rock Association

      TERA -- The Eagle Rock Association -- INVEST IN YOUR COMMUNITY --
      http://www.TERA90041.org
      -- P. O. Box 41453, Eagle Rock, CA 90041 -- (323) 259-TERA -- a 501(c)(3)
      nonprofit public benefit corporation

      The TERA e.letter
      A publication of The Eagle Rock Association (TERA)
      Joanne Turner, Editor
      e.letter@...

    • Joanne Turner