TERA e.letter

  • Joanne Turner
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2002
      "Eagle Rock: Where land use and planning is a contact sport"

      THE EAGLE ROCK ASSOCIATION
      TERA

      -- e.letter --
      July 1, 2002
      (Okay, okay. So we lied -- sort of. Actually, we happened to find time to
      sneak in another e.letter before we're off. A marvelous Independence Day to
      you all!)

      Learn more about us and how we are changing our community for the better.

      Click on http://www.TERA90041.org

      Please support your residents association -- 1,000 members strong, and
      growing!

      Join TERA now! Here's how:

      Click on http://www.TERA90041.org/teraform.htm

      Please encourage interested friends to send their e.mail addresses to us at
      artburn@...
      so we can keep them informed, too.

      In this issue:

      1. LOCAL ARTIST CANDACE JEANETTE ALLEN SHOWS HER STUFF! -- RECEPTION JULY
      12

      2. ART EXHIBIT AT ROCKROSE ART GALLERY

      3. COMMERCIAL SPACE FOR LEASE IN THE HEART OF TRENDY EAGLE ROCK

      4. "ABSOLUT CHALK" EVENT -- JULY 6 AND 7

      5. "SHOULD I STUCCO MY HOUSE" IN TAGALOG -- THIS TIME IN THE RIGHT ORDER

      6. UPCOMING CULTURAL EVENTS AT THE SOUTHWEST MUSEUM

      7. COMMERCIAL SPACE AVAILABLE TO SHARE

      8. LETTERS AND E.MAILS

      9. QUOTE OF THE WEEK

      1. LOCAL ARTIST CANDACE JEANETTE ALLEN SHOWS HER STUFF! -- RECEPTION JULY
      12

      Gallery Ophelia presents:
      Candace Jeanette Allen
      paintings and objects

      July 3rd - 30th, 2002
      Artist Reception
      July 12th, 2002 7-10pm

      2114 Colorado Boulevard
      Eagle Rock, LA 90041
      323.982.9945
      http://www.galleryophelia.com

      Gallery Hours: W-Sat. noon-6pm or by appointment...

      2. ART EXHIBIT AT ROCKROSE ART GALLERY

      Saturday, JUNE 29 through August 11
      "Vertigos Romanticos"
      Painting and Sketches by ANTONIO ESCALANTE
      An Artist Reception will be announced soon for later in July upon
      availability of the artist.

      ROCK ROSE Art Gallery & Arroyo Books
      4108 N. Figueroa St., Highland Park
      Gallery Hours: T, W, Th 4-9 p.m./ F, Sat. 5-10 p.m./ Sun. 1-5 p.m.
      For more information, please call us at 323/222-4740
      Or email: Rockroseart@...

      3. COMMERCIAL SPACE FOR LEASE IN THE HEART OF TRENDY EAGLE ROCK

      An apology to Jacob Rahmanizad -- we neglected to include the following in
      the last e.letter, as promised:

      Approximately 900 square feet of commercial space for lease, adjacent to
      Eagle Rock's historic town center. A few doors east of our infamous Swork
      Coffee. Disabled restroom, air, and heat. Brand new building. Asking
      $1,500.00. Please contact Jacob at (213) 225-7108.

      4. "ABSOLUT CHALK" EVENT -- JULY 6 AND 7

      listen up WOMEN IN DESIGN!! ABSOLUT CHALK is July 6th and 7th

      location: Centennial Square, Pasadena City Hall 110 N. Garfield Ave>near
      old town Pasadena

      Event is FREE to the public from 10am-7pm Come and Support WID
      members....Miss Mindy/Brandy Schull/Jessica/Candace/Linda and others, who
      will be participating in this great art benefit event! Our Design is a woman
      vase, with fabulous flowers above her head... so all members who stop by,
      are welcome to add their own litle touch, even if it is for a short time! We
      get the most work done on Saturday, so that is the best time to come and see
      us in action!

      PARKING - availiable in the Ramona/Marengo parking structure, and is free!
      PARTY! - Sunday evening is the closing party starting at 7pm...The Umbrellas
      will be down,It's open to everyone, and it's Quite a sight to see! Hope to
      see you!

      Note: for Participating Chalk artists, there is a pre-party at the Castle
      Green in Pasadena, 99 S. Raymond Ave. Tuesday July 2nd from 6-10pm. There
      will be Cuban music, and drinks... a real good time! call Mindy if you are
      interested, and I'll give you the run down! 323.982.9945 (Gallery Ophelia)

      5. "SHOULD I STUCCO MY HOUSE" IN TAGALOG -- THIS TIME IN THE RIGHT ORDER

      Sorry about that. Thanks again to Fides Navera for her translation -- we
      somehow messed it up. Here it is so that it makes sense:

      "Should I stucco my house?"

      "Kailangan ko bang ipa-stucco ang aking bahay?"

      A stuccoed house looks modern.

      Ang bahay na ipa-stucco mukhang modern.

      The old wood bungalows in Highland Park were designed with excellent
      materials and craftsmanship. Their beauty lies in their historic character.
      AN old house that has been stuccoed does not look modern- it merely looks
      like an old hose whose beautiful features have been hidden. It does not
      look right.

      Mga lumang bahay sa Highland Park ay gawa ng mga mahusay na material at
      carpintero. Ang ganda ay makikita mo sa historia ng carpintero. Mga lumang
      bahay hindi mag mumukhang moderno- magmumukang luma na hindi maintindihan
      dahil sa modernong style ng stucco.

      If I stucco my house, I will never have to paint my house again.

      Kung ipa-stucco ko bahay ko, hindi ko na dapat papapinturahan.

      Stucco must be painted nearly as frequently as wood, in addition to the cost
      of applying the stucco. Cracks develop in stucco walls and must be sealed.
      The maintenance of a wood exterior is not necessarily more expensive nor
      difficult over the years than maintenance of a stucco exterior.

      Ang stucco ay kailangang pinturahan malimit gaya ng kahoy pagkatapos ng
      malaking halaga sa paglalagay nito. Ang pagaalagan ng bahay gawa sa kahoy
      ay mas mura at hindi mahirap gaya ng stucco.

      Stuccoing is an inexpensive and effective way to insulate my house.

      Stuccoing ay mas mura at mas mahalaga para ipa-insulate ang aking bahay.

      A stucco exterior is not an effective insulator. It is cheaper and more
      effective to insulate your attic in order to keep the house cool in the
      summer and warm in the winter.

      Ang stucco ay hindi nakakatulong sa insulasyon ng bahay. Mas mabuting
      lagyan ng insulasyon ang bubungan para maging mainit sa taglaming at malamig
      sa taginit.

      The wood of my old house will rot unless I cover it with stucco:

      Ang kahoy nang aking lumang bahay ay bubulok kaya dapat tungtungan nang
      stucco.

      The most effective preservative is a new coat of paint or stain. Individual
      boards of shingles in poor condition can be easily replaced. In fact,
      stuccoing can hasten deterioration of the wood underneath by preventing it
      from breathing. The wood of most old houses in Highland Park is still in
      good condition.

      Ang pinaka mabisang pang patibay nang bahay ay bagong pintura. Ang bawat
      isang peraso ng kahoy ay madaling palitan. Sa kototohanan, ang paglagay ng
      stucco ay lalong makapapagbulok ng kahoy sa dahilang hindi ito nahahanginan.
      Karamihan sa mga bahay sa Highland Park ay yari sa mahuhusay na kahoy at
      tunay na nagtatagal pa.

      Stuccoing my house can increase it resale value.

      Kung ipa-stucco ko bahay ko tataas ang halaga.

      Stuccoing of a wood house can actually decrease the value of the home, since
      it loses the historic character that gives it its charm. In addition, the
      quality of the original craftsmanship usually cannot be duplicated today.

      Ang pagpa stucco ng isang bahay ay lalong maka-kapagbaba ng halaga ng isang
      bahay sa dahilang mawawala ang angking katangian at ganda, atang
      pagkaorihinal ng pagkagawa ng ganitong bahay ay hindi na matutularan sa
      panahon ngayon.

      "About Aluminum Windows"

      "Tungkol sa mga bintana na alumino"

      Old wood windows are hard to open, and aluminum windows are better.

      Mga lumang bintana na kahoy ay mahirap buksan, kaya mga bintana na alumino
      ay mas mahusay.

      With proper care, old wood windows can operate flawlessly. Windows not
      functioning properly can usually be easily repaired at less cost than
      replacing them.

      Sa mabuting pagaalaga, ang mga lumang bintana ay magagamit pa ng maayos.
      Ang mga bintanang hindi na naisasara ay mas murang ayusin kaysa palitan ng
      bago.

      Aluminum windows are more secure against entry than wood windows.

      Mga bintana na alumino ay mas matibay para huwag papasukin kesa say bintana
      na kahoy.

      Mechanisms to prevent entry are easily attached to wood windows. Aluminum
      windows can easily be lifted and pushed in. Wood windows are also better
      insulators.

      Maraming pantranka ang mailalagay sa lumang bintana para hindi madaling
      pasuking ng magnanakaw. Ang bintanang "alumino" ay madaling pasukin- itaas
      at itulak. Ang bintanang kahoy ay nagsisilbi ring mabuting insulasyon,
      laban sa lamig.

      6. UPCOMING CULTURAL EVENTS AT THE SOUTHWEST MUSEUM

      Sunday, July 14, 2002 2 p.m.
      Sprague Auditorium
      GARDEN SERIES PROGRAM: "A Distinct Lack of Formality", Michael Wagner

      Mr. Wagner, Braun Research Library assistant and graduate of UCLA's
      Landscape Architecture Program, will take an informal look at the use of
      native plants from a design perspective. The talk will include an
      historical overview and examination of contemporary applications for native
      plants in designed spaces.
      Program is Free with admission to the Museum

      Saturday, July 20, 2002 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
      Museum Patio
      GOURD DESIGN WORKSHOP: Nadiya Littlewarrior, Citizen Potawatomi/Cherokee

      Nadiya Littlewarrior's beautiful gourds are found in galleries and shops
      from China to Spain. Ms. Littlewarrior, owner of Spirit Vessels Studio,
      will lead the class in the creation of a personal gourd that represents each
      participant's individual designs and paintings. Join the class and create a
      memory.
      Members $20.00
      Guests $30.00
      All supplies are included with registration.

      Saturday, August 3 and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
      Sunday, August 4, 2002
      Lower Lobby
      NATIVE AMERICAN JEWELRY AND ART SHOW AND SALE: With Artist's Demonstration

      Waddell Trading Company is returning to the Southwest Museum for its third
      Year! No need to hassle flying to Santa Fe! Come to the museum and have the
      opportunity to purchase some of the fine jewelry and art before it is
      presented at Indian Market! Phil Poseyesva began making traditional Hopi
      overlay jewelry at 13 and his use of colorful gemstones, turquoise and coral
      distinguishes his work.
      This has become one of the Museum Store's most popular events. Don't miss
      out! This event is free!

      Thursday, August 8, and 6 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
      Friday, August 9, 2002
      Sprague Auditorium
      BEADWORK WORKSHOP: John Bradley, Jr., Comanche/Cherokee

      John Bradley, Jr., member of the American Indian Artists Mentor Program, is
      recognized as a master basket weaver and beadworker. This multitalented
      artist will present a 2-day workshop, teaching various techniques including
      rosette, applique and lazy stitch. Participants will have the opportunity
      to design and create their own art piece.
      Members: $40.00
      Guests: $50.00.
      All materials are included with registration

      Sunday, August 18, 2002 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.
      Museum Patio
      INTRODUCTION TO PLAYING THE AMERICAN INDIAN FLUTE: Bill Neal (Elk Whistle)

      Bill Neal, also known as Elk Whistle, is an American Indian of Cherokee
      heritage. He is a recording artist, storyteller, teacher and director of
      Elk Whistle Ensemble. Mr. Neal, an accomplished flutist, plays the
      plains-style cedar flutes of the Lakota, Kiowa, and Comanche Nations as well
      as the river cane flutes of the Choctaw and Cherokee. Bring your flutes or
      purchase one from the museum store and join the class. Mr. Neal will give
      basic instructions on playing and maintaining your flutes.
      Members $15
      Guests $20

      Saturday, August 24, 2002 9 a.m. - 12 noon
      Museum Patio
      SOUTHWEST MUSEUM PRESENTS CALIFORNIA'S INDIGENOUS HISTORY FESTIVAL! Ted
      Garcia, Chumash

      Ted Garcia, Director of Satwiwa American Indian Museum & Cultural Center, is
      one of a few traditional, Southern Coastal carvers still practicing the
      ancient art of steatite carving. Mr. Garcia will teach participants the
      techniques of carving and polishing their individual effigies. Students
      will have the opportunity to examine a variety of carved steatite on view in
      the California Hall as well as Mr. Garcia's contemporary collection. All
      materials are included with registration.
      Members: $20.00
      Guests: $30.00

      Saturday, August 24, 2002 1 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.
      Museum Patio
      CALIFORNIA BASKETRY DEMONSTRATION: Dee Dominguez

      Dee Dominguez, and member of CIBA (California Indian Basketweavers
      Association) will demonstrate Southern California style coil weaving and
      display her current work on a Central California style baby cradle. Ask
      questions and watch her weave, then tour the California Hall's basketry
      collection with a greater appreciation for the skill Free with Museum
      admission

      Saturday, August 24, 2002 1 p.m.
      Sprague Auditorium
      LEGENDS AND DANCES OF THE CHUMASH: Ted and Dennis Garcia, Chumash

      Brothers Ted and Dennis Garcia, well known Chumash storytellers and dancers,
      will share a portion of their cultural heritage in this exciting
      presentation. Listen to stories and watch dances that have been a part of
      the Chumash culture for hundreds of years.
      Free with Museum admission

      Saturday, September 28, 2002 1 p.m.
      Sprague Auditorium
      PRESERVING CALIFORNIA'S NATIVE SITES

      Representatives from the Federal, State and local agencies along with
      academics and American Indians will discuss California's attempts to secure,
      maintain and protect Native sites.
      Members: $ 5.00
      Guests: $10.00

      7. COMMERCIAL SPACE AVAILABLE TO SHARE

      BlankFriends Western School, a new Quaker school in Highland Park, is
      looking to share space with other organizations in the area. They are also
      accepting financial donations to purchase school equipment as well as
      donations of school/office equipment. Great opportunity for shared space,
      rent negotiable. For church, performance or classroom Use. 1800 sq ft,
      carpeted. Private parking lot. 5827 York, LA. Call 323-257-2727.

      8. LETTERS AND E.MAILS

      "Great story about the remaining CEO's 'making a break for it.' Very
      creative and funny. I hope it gets widely distributed and reaches some of
      the crooks it parodies."

      -- Mitch O'Farrell,, Glassell Park resident

      "It is great having artists move to our great corner. I think I was blessed
      to be able to see some of the latest changes (that I love). Thanks for
      always keeping this community in the loop and making us aware of local
      political people who are worthless.

      I always appreciate all the time and effort you put forth for our wonderful
      community. You keep us up on everything. And, it was nice meeting you
      again on the house tour and discussing your great house."

      -- Janice Silvernail, Eagle Rock resident and TERA member

      9. QUOTE OF THE WEEK

      "Another element in the drive to encourage human movement by means other
      than the automobile is the interconnection of uses. Based on the
      foolishness of post World War II planning and development patterns, uses
      have been sharply separated. Historic neighborhoods were built from the
      beginning with a mix of uses in close proximity. Cities with the foresight
      to readjust their zoning ordinances to encourage integration of uses are
      seeing that interconnectivity reemerging in historic areas. That's Smart
      Growth."

      -- Donovan Rypkema

      We welcome your comments. Please include your name.

      Please encourage interested friends to send their e.mail addresses to us at
      artburn@... so we can keep them informed, too.

      If you have changed your e.mail address or would like to be removed from
      this list, please contact artburn@....

      TERA -- The Eagle Rock Association -- YOUR COMMUNITY IN ACTION --
      http://www.TERA90041.org --
      P. O. Box 41453, Eagle Rock, CA 90041 -- (323) 259-TERA -- a 501(c)(3)
      nonprofit public benefit corporation

      Joanne Turner <artburn@...>
      President, The Eagle Rock Association (TERA)