Re: Robbed at gun point

  • Joe Walker
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 1, 2005
      Michael,
      Not to dismiss the trauma you underwent, but I asked someone at NE Division about this and he said the person who robbed you was someone you met in the park and invited back to your home, offering him something to eat. Parks are never a safe place late at night, and offering to make someone a sandwich and inviting him to your home is a huge risk. Also, the report mentioned nothing about his friends holding you hostage, etc. You might want to make sure the report is accurate.

      Please keep us informed about how you are doing. There are a lot of things that happen afterwards when a person is the victim of a violent unplanned event. A lot of things they don't understand.

      Joe

      micheal <mswank1@...> wrote:

      Many of us walk out pets in the park between Ave 45-49 off Figueroa. I have lived in Mt
      Washington for three years now. Recently I moved down next to the park and thought one
      of the best advantages is the open park at my door. That changed for me last night.

      I was out at 11PM- less then 100 ft from my door when I was taken hostage at gun point
      by a man claiming to be with the Mexican Mafia. Now whether or not he was makes no
      difference in this situation since he had the gun. I lost a cell phone, money, and a DVD
      burner.....and any feeling of safety. I was held hostage in my place for 3 hours. I was
      threatended if I called the cops more people would show up....and my door was camped
      on all night by some of his friends. This was by far the scariest of all nights and still is
      going in my head.

      I tell you all this because I see people out here at night late walking thier dogs unaware of
      the potential dangers. Please take better care of yourselves then I have under the
      circumstances.
      Micheal

      To mail a new message to this group mailto:nelalist@yahoogroups.com

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • ELENI4@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 2, 2005
        Joe
        Am I the only one who thinks that it's more than a bit unethical to just
        randomly reveal specific details of a reported crime in such a casual fashion?
        And to chastise the person who was robbed is just cruel. It's like telling
        someone who was raped, "Well, I know you're traumatized, but you really should
        have known better than to wear that skirt, have that drink, or walk down that
        street." What the hell?

        -Jen-

      • PeacockHQ@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 3, 2005
          Jen --
          Well, actually, I for one was relieved to learn more of the details.
          The original account by the victim made it sound like someone pulled a gun
          on him in the park and made him take him home, where he held him hostage.
          That gives all of us the impression that there are gun-toting bandits roaming
          the park, waiting to hijack dogwalkers.

          It IS quite different to meet a stranger in the dark in a park and invite
          them to come home with you!

          It is NOT the same as blaming a rape victim for wearing a short skirt .... it
          is more like pointing out that we are all responsible for the choices we
          make and need to exercise good judgment in where we go at night, who we talk to,
          and who we invite into our homes. Yes, it is still a crime, and yes, I'm
          sure it was awful .... and yes, the victim does bear a portion of responsibllity
          here. We live in a big city with all the dangers that go with big cities.
          And that park is in a barrio, with all the dangers of a barrio, including
          gangbangers at night. Anyone who moves to a new area should ask his or her
          neighbors about safety, crime, where it is safe to go and when, etc. It is
          better to err on the side of caution and wariness, than to go naively into a
          park late at night alone in a new neighborhood that you don't know.

          Unfortunately, Michael has had to learn this the hard way. I, too, often
          have to learn some of my lessons lessons the hard way. As Mark Twain wisely
          pointed out, "A man who carries a cat by the tail learns a lesson that he
          cannot learn any other way."

          I for one am happy to get more facts so that I know what happened and what I
          need to be careful of. I walk my dog at night, too, but never in the park,
          never in the barrio. I walk on the top of the hill, with a flashlight and a
          big stick, and good running shoes. If I see someone I don't know, I cross
          the street to the other side, or I turn around and run. I would NEVER invite
          a stranger into my home at night. In other words, I am responsible for my
          own safety. Could something bad still happen to me?
          Sure. But I don't need to invite trouble to come home with me.

          Michael, I am sorry for your trauma .... I'm sure it's been a very painful
          learning experience.
          They usually are.

          Best regards, BJ

        • pbailey@dslextreme.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 3, 2005
            i agree,

            for future reference this might have been better handled through private
            email. i know that we all want to help and obviously a lesson has been
            learned. lets all keep this in mind for next time.

            paul bailey

            ELENI4@...

            > Joe
            > Am I the only one who thinks that it's more than a bit unethical to just
            > randomly reveal specific details of a reported crime in such a casual
            > fashion?
            > And to chastise the person who was robbed is just cruel. It's like
            > telling
            > someone who was raped, "Well, I know you're traumatized, but you really
            > should
            > have known better than to wear that skirt, have that drink, or walk down
            > that
            > street." What the hell?
            >
            > -Jen-
            >
            > joe_walker_2000@... wrote:
            >
            > Michael,
            > Not to dismiss the trauma you underwent, but I asked someone at NE
            > Division
            > about this and he said the person who robbed you was someone you met in
            > the
            > park and invited back to your home, offering him something to eat. Parks
            > are
            > never a safe place late at night, and offering to make someone a sandwich
            > and
            > inviting him to your home is a huge risk. Also, the report mentioned
            > nothing
            > about his friends holding you hostage, etc. You might want to make sure
            > the
            > report is accurate.
            >
            > Please keep us informed about how you are doing. There are a lot of
            > things
            > that happen afterwards when a person is the victim of a violent unplanned
            > event. A lot of things they don't understand.
            >

            > To mail a new message to this group mailto:nelalist@yahoogroups.com
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • chrisdjukanovic
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 3, 2005
              Jen, I agree with you. I am surprised the LAPD gave Joe the details
              of the case in the first place. There is an argument that Michael
              may have been more forthcoming with the details of his ordeal when
              he decided to go public. In that case, maybe a private email from
              Joe to Michael would have been in order.
              CD

              --- In nelalist@yahoogroups.com, ELENI4@a... wrote:
              > Joe
              > Am I the only one who thinks that it's more than a bit unethical
              to just randomly reveal specific details of a reported crime in such a
              casual fashion? <snip>
            • Nick Santangelo
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 3, 2005
                Hate to belabor the issue but....

                Apparently the information given was not only false, but disseminated to a group. I can't speak for anyone else, but I was initially pretty appalled that such a heinous crime could take place blocks away, and was considering steps to address the danger. Then, lo and behold, it appears the circumstances that brought about the crime were different, throwing just about all my assumptions out the window.

                I don't have the perfect answer as to how this thing should or shouldn't be disclosed, but I DO think that, since EVERYONE was misled, EVERYONE should be hip to the facts. We are all neighbors, after all. That said: are we certain the LAPD was alluding the same crime...?

                My two cents....

                Nick Santangelo

                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 3, 2005
                  I disagree with Jen. Michael's e-mail was totally frightening. I was
                  relieved to know the truth was not as scary as what we had been originally told. I
                  am sorry for Michael's experience, but I think it is important that we all know
                  what actually took place. This forum is a great source of information. I
                  want to feel that what I read here is accurate. After reading Michael's e-mail,
                  we all had questions about the details. We all wanted to keep ourselves
                  safe. Joe did us a favor by letting us know more about what occurred. Further,
                  the way Joe let us know about what had happened was appropriate and considerate
                  to everyone including MIchael. I do not think that somehow Michael is being
                  revictimized. I sure hope he does not feel that way.

                  Angelica