RE:Taylor Yard-The Latest01

  • BRADLEY
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2001
      the latest
      Do I understand this correctly!  Over 100 acres will be devoted to "passive recreation, active recreation, and State Park Space" and only "24 acres are to be devoted to "retail/commercial/residential mixed use creating jobs and affordable housing"?  Do I understand that 24 acres is to be the only amount left to provided the needed infrastructure and community-based limited commercial businesses to support the communities of Glassell Park, Cypress Park, and Mt. Washington, young and old?  Am I to believe that 24 acres is sufficient enough to support limited-commercial for the community at large including the required parking on-site without creating subterranean parking?  Am I to understand that affordable housing may be located next to the train tracks, developed possibly in contaminated soil, densly developed in a commercial mixed use area, and provided regardless of the already abandoned structures (warehouses) in our co! mmunities which could be renovated and used for affordable housing?  And lastly, am I to understand that the Jackie Goldberg, Eric Garcetti, and others favor limiting the needed commercial infrastructure such as fine dining establishments, banking services, a theatre and entertainment complex, and community-based retail/commercial businesses to a mere 24 acres and are willing to create 100 + acres for open spaces, parks, and wetlands which have no real significant value to the majority of people who live, want to work, and support their communities?  Someone, please clarify this for me because although I do not support redeveloping Taylor Yard again with warehouse and industrial style development, I wonder if anyone has considered the needs of the people - the true blue collar and white collar counterparts - people that live and work hard to upkeep their respective communities?  Have those individuals who are working so diligently and respect! fully to create a State Park talked with the individuals in these communities, or that community Neighborhood Council Chairperson, or youths looking for part-time jobs in their communities?

      Don't get me wrong!  I commend those working hard on this matter and I appreciate all their effort.  However, I just want comprehend exactly who decided on the amount of acreage for open space versus the small amount alloted for community infrastructure, community-based businesses, and definitely the parking needed to sustain new development.  An base of Infrastructure which supports those communities that patron this area!  Please write back, someone and give me your views or insight.

      -Oh yes, forgive me for my spelling.

      Bradley

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 2, 2001
        Hello Again Folks:

        I have received several wonderful and enlightening E-Mail messages and
        postal mail from truely dedicated and committed neighborhood individuals who
        have made their comments known to me. They have expressed the pros
        and cons of the any development in Taylor Yard and commented about
        the positive and/or negative impacts to the communities of the Northeast
        and East L.A. Areas.

        It is refreshing to know that people are aware of the developmental and
        infrastructural needs of their their respective communities and
        that people do care! To Eliot S., Ann W., N. Smith,
        and the others who have so eloquently answered my previously transmitted
        concerns, thank-you for your community spirit, pride, and for sharing your
        thoughts with the masses! Keep the comments coming folks!

        Bradley

        (GPNCAC Chairman)

        P.S. Sorry for the misspelling and the fragmented sentences!

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 12, 2001
          Hello Bradley,
          Thank you for appreciating the energy of the people advocating more park
          space vs. industrial blight.
          Those of us that have and work with children and families, that like to
          play and walk in nature, young and old ,all of us; know what a severe
          lack of recreation and green space we have in our area. Take a jog around
          Glassell Park , Cypress Park, Carlin G Recreation Centers sometime. You
          might see hundreds of soccer/ baseball kids squished on small strips of
          dirt.
          Thank you FOLAR, Melinda, Marcus, Guillermo, UCLA, Raul, Jackie, Eric and
          all who have projected,outreached, and stalled the industrial for
          regional and local benefit of more play space.

          As to who has been consulted,
          The Neighborhood Council(s) are now forming, and as functioning will
          surely be consulted as such. This is exactly a regional and local land
          use issue for which they were created. Your email here is testimony that
          you have been, though it may have been from outreaches at existing
          community organization meetings.

          Virtually every, existing area neighborhood organization and group has
          been and will continue to be involved as to use,
          Check the support list and petitions.

          Maybe because there is no Glassell Park Chamber or much existing retail,
          other than industrial and mostly scattered small mom and pops in our
          area, there isn't much local coordinated voice. GO FOR IT!
          Perhaps coordinating and outreaching with existing chambers Cypress,
          Eagle Rock, Northeast chambers will help.

          As to parking, an UCLA class project presented recenly at the river
          Center, guided by an instructor who is in the City of LA Planning
          Department did
          propose some underground parking.
          The same UCLA proposal identified entities in Long Beach who would take
          toxic soil from the Yard.
          These important issues are and will continued to be addressed.

          As to quantity of retail/commercial mixed use, nothing is fixed.
          Thank you for and continue to raise this important concern.

          In consideration of retail/commercial infrastructure let's not limit
          ourselves to only Taylor Yards 24 acres.
          Let's look across and down the street, at empty and unleased buildings
          and lots.

          As a community resident and a development consultant, what is your
          vision?

          For the surrounding area, not only Taylor Yard.

          Mike Gealer