TERA e.letter APRIL 1, 2004

  • TERA e.letter
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2004
      THE EAGLE ROCK ASSOCIATION
      The Best Investment You Can Make in Your Neighborhood

      TERA
      e.letter

      April 1, 2004 (No foolin¹!)

      Learn more about us
      and how we are changing our community for the better.

      What? You're not yet a member of TERA?
      Join now!  Here's how:

      Click on
      http://www.TERA90041.org/teraform.htm

      Now more than ever, please support your residents association --
      more than 1,000 members strong, and growing every day!

      Please encourage interested friends and neighbors to send their email
      addresses
      to us at e.letter@... so we can keep them informed, too.

      This week:

      President¹s Message (Item #1)

      The ballots have been counted! (item #3)

      Grow with ghosts at Center for the Arts, Eagle Rock! (Item #6)

      Table of Contents:

      1. PRESIDENT'S MESSAGE

      2. THE A+ COALITION PRESS CONFERENCE ON THE FUTURE OF THE AMBASSADOR HOTEL
      ‹ TODAY, APRIL 1

      3. RESULTS OF SATURDAY¹S EAGLE ROCK NEIGHBORHOOD COUNCIL ELECTIONS ARE IN!

      4. GREAT NEWS FROM EAGLE ROCK HIGH SCHOOL!

      5. SHOPPING FOR ANSWERS? DON¹T MISS THIS VITAL OXY FORUM ON WAL-MART AND
      THE RECENT SUPERMARKET STRIKE ‹ TONIGHT, APRIL 1

      6. "GROWING WITH GHOSTS" AN EAGLE ROCK ART AND PERFORMANCE EXTRAVAGANZA --
      APRIL 2 - 25

      7. TERA'S ECLECTIC EAGLE ROCK HOME TOUR MEETING ‹ APRIL 12

      8. NINTH ANNUAL ³JACK SMITH TRAIL WALK² -- APRIL 18

      9. BUNGALOW HEAVEN HOME TOUR -- APRIL 25

      10. THE GOSPEL ACCORDING TO BRUCE ‹ APRIL 25, 2004

      11. LA COUNTY ARBORETUM PRESENTS A PLANT SALE & GARDEN SHOW ‹ MAY 1 ­ 2

      12. WE'VE GOT MAIL

      13. THE LAST WORD ‹ ROSA LUXEMBURG

      1. PRESIDENT'S MESSAGE FOR APRIL 1st : WON¹T GET FOOLED AGAIN!

      Thanks to TERA's constant pressure, numerous letters, and Councilmember
      Antonio Villaraigosa's continued requests to Rich Development, a focus group
      meeting has been finally been scheduled for April 7th at the Eagle Rock City
      Hall!

      For many of us, driving by the Walgreens property is excruciating as we
      mourn the loss of the Shopping Bag Building in favor of yet another
      cookie-cutter "megaterranean" drugstore. I anxiously await the results of
      over four months of labor since our last focus group. Though this is a
      private meeting for the focus group, the Councilman and the Walgreens
      developers, I will let you all know in our next e.letter what was presented
      regarding the appearance of the parking lot and the facades of the
      buildings.

      In the meantime, TERA has signed on to be part of the A+ (Ambassador Plus)
      Coalition to advocate for maximum preservation of the historic Ambassador
      Hotel, the site of Robert F. Kennedy's assassination in 1968. LAUSD is
      currently determining what type of high school and middle school campus to
      build at the site. We are happy to lend our membership strength to the
      important efforts of the A+ Coalition to preserve Los Angeles' historic
      treasures.

      Though we have lost the Shopping Bag forever, we cannot lose any more of Los
      Angeles' historic fabric. Please see the item immediately follows for
      details on the A+ Coalition's press conference at 10:00 this morning.

      For those of you who want to ensure that more of Eagle Rock's historic
      commercial buildings are preserved (and protected from future development),
      come to TERA's Land Use Committee where they are cataloguing buildings for
      potential historic status. We cannot let another precious Eagle Rock gem be
      lost!

      --- Hilary Norton Orozco, TERA President

      2. THE A+ COALITION PRESS CONFERENCE ON THE FUTURE OF THE AMBASSADOR HOTEL
      ‹ TODAY, APRIL 1

      The A+ (Ambassador Plus) Coalition announces its formation to promote a plan
      for reusing the historic Ambassador Hotel as the anchor of a unique new
      school campus for the Wilshire community. The coalition will unveil
      renderings of its vision for the Ambassador site, in a location overlooking
      the existing site.

      What and Where:

      A+ Coalition Press Conference
      Thursday, April 1, 2004 at 10:00 a.m.
      Offices of Asian-American TIMS
      3250 Wilshire Boulevard (at New Hampshire), Suite 2010-B

      (Park in the One Park Plaza garage on New Hampshire, south of Wilshire.)

      Why: A diverse coalition of over 40 groups has come together to put forth a
      plan for using the Ambassador Hotel in a new educational campus that would
      serve students and area residents. ³This community desperately needs a
      school,² says A+ Coalition Coordinator Rafael Pizarro. ³We have a concrete
      plan for providing not only what students need, but what they deserve ­ a
      school that uses the legendary and irreplaceable Ambassador Hotel to deliver
      unparalleled learning opportunities.²

      Who:
      Rafael Pizarro, A+ Coalition Coordinator
      Annette Ramirez, Latino Urban Forum
      Jason Elias, SEIU Local 347, AFL-CIO
      Neil Prince, Beverly-Kingsley Neighborhood Association
      Christine Lee, Asian-American TIMS
      Arthur Hamilton, Society of Composers and Lyricists (and composer of ³Cry Me
      a River²)
      Linda Dishman, Los Angeles Conservancy

      See you there!

      3. RESULTS OF SATURDAY¹S EAGLE ROCK NEIGHBORHOOD COUNCIL ELECTIONS ARE IN!

      Here¹s the council¹s Bill Markis, elections chair, to fill us in:

      Thank you to all the volunteers at our recent ERNC Election:
      € Key Club ERHS students
      € ROCK students
      € Elizabeth Macias from DONE, her sister and nieces
      € Jerry Kvasnicka from the League of Women Voters
      € and all the other wonderful volunteers

      Thank you as well to TERA and Boulevard Sentinel for the ample coverage of
      the election, to Yosemite Recreation Center for allowing us the use of their
      facilities, and to all the candidates.

      Following are the preliminary election results:

      President
      Anita Hultman 234
      Manuel Montano 106

      Treasurer
      Mark Ryan 197
      Holly Brunk 82

      Business
      Krista Neumann 166
      Juan Dimacali 138

      Civic
      Alfredo Bernardo 179
      Everett Sarabia 123

      Faith-Based
      Dipa Gupta 196
      Thelma Quindipan 161

      Youth
      Jacob Stevens 244

      District 2
      Jessica Wethington McLean 27
      Carlos Montez 10
      Lilia de Jesus 10

      District 5
      Jeffrey Samudio 30

      District 7
      Norma Gonzalez 23

      District 8
      Irene Daniel 27
      Dante Banta 20

      Congratulations to all the newly election members, and our thanks to all the
      candidates who took the time to respond to the candidate¹s questionnaire in
      last week¹s e.letter.

      4. GREAT NEWS FROM EAGLE ROCK HIGH SCHOOL!

      ERHS Principal Juan Flecha sent us the following happy announcement:

      "CONGRATULATIONS FOR A JOB WELL DONE!

      We are in receipt of our 2003 Academic Performance Index (API) Base Report.
       Our Statewide Rank is a 6!  This means we are in the top half of all
      secondary schools in California.  Our goal is to score at or above the
      statewide performance target of 800, and thus earn a 10 in this category.
       Our present score in 679.  We are 121 points away!

      On the same note, our Similar Schools Rank is 9.  This ranking is
      calculated as the state compares our scores to those of schools with some of
      the same characteristics as Eagle Rock H. S. (i.e., School Demographics,
      parent education level, etc.)  In essence, many of Eagles are performing at
      very high levels when compared to students in similar schools.  Note,
      however, our Hispanic/Latino and Socioeconomically Disadvantaged groups are
      performing substantially below our other subgroups.

      Once again, congratulations on a job well done!  I look forward to
      continuing our work together as we find innovative solutions to help every
      one of our students excel."

      Number of students included in the 2003 API:  2268
      2003 API (Base):  679
      2003 Statewide Rank:  6
      2003 Similar Schools Rank:  9
      2003-2004 Growth Target:  6
      2004 API Target:  685

      Subgroups:

      Asian:                          122 students            Subgroup API:  770
               Subgroup Target:  775
      Filipino:                       395 students            Subgroup API:  760
               Subgroup Target:  765
      Hispanic/Latino:       1426 students            Subgroup API:  631
               Subgroup Target:  636
      White (Non-Hisp.):   275 students                Subgroup API:  778
               Subgroup Target:  783
      Soc-Ec. Disadv:           1426 students               Subgroup API:  639
                   Subgroup Target:  644

      According to the school, African American (33 students), American Indian or
      Alaska Native (10 students), and Pacific Islander (1 student) numbers were
      not significant enough to include in the above list.

      5. SHOPPING FOR ANSWERS? DON¹T MISS THIS VITAL OXY FORUM ON WAL-MART AND
      THE RECENT SUPERMARKET STRIKE ‹ TONIGHT, APRIL 1

      WAL-MART Forum at Occidental College
      Thursday, April 1, from 6:30 to 8:30
      Weingart Hall, Room 117
      Occidental College

      A panel of speakers will reflect on the recently resolved supermarket strike
      and work by the Los Angeles City Council to pass an ordinance restricting
      the entry of big box retailers such as Wal-Mart into the region. We will
      also discuss healthcare coverage issues in the state of California.
      Audience discussion is encouraged.

      Panelists include:

      Josh Kamensky, Field Deputy with Los Angeles Councilmember Eric Garcetti
      John Grant, Vice President, United Food and Commercial Workers, Local 770
      Doris Isolini Nelson, Director, Health Care For All

      Directions to the meeting are available on the Occidental College webpage at
      http://www.oxy.edu/welcome/directions/index.html.

      This event is sponsored by the Urban and Environmental Policy Institute of
      Occidental College, the Community Strike Support Network, Northeast LA
      Neighbors for Peace and Justice, and the Student Labor Action Coalition.

      6. "GROWING WITH GHOSTS" AN EAGLE ROCK ART AND PERFORMANCE EXTRAVAGANZA --
      APRIL 2 - 25

      The Center for the Arts, Eagle Rock reminds us that their highly anticipated
      art, music and theater performance show opens tomorrow! Here are all the
      details:

      Playwright Ken Roht's Newest Work,
      "GROWING WITH GHOSTS"
      APRIL 2, 2004 ­ APRIL 25, 2004
      Friday through Sunday, at 7:30 p.m. and 9:00 p.m.
      The Center for the Arts, Eagle Rock
      2225 Colorado Boulevard

      The Center for the Arts, Eagle Rock is honored to sponsor Ken Roht¹s
      theater-dance-arts extravaganza, "Growing With Ghosts." In June 2003, Mr.
      Roht began to work on this site-specific work, a progressive music theater
      piece that uses every inch of the Center and its grounds. The actual stage
      will be the Center itself, a restored 1915 Carnegie library, and a National
      Historic Landmark. Mr. Roht's piece takes place in seven different
      theatrical installations. As the audience walks through each, they will
      witness stages of human growth, from before birth to after death.

      What makes Ken Roht¹s work unique? The answer is simple: his work is both
      cutting-edge and stunningly beautiful. Theatrical productions are rarely
      innovative, entertaining, and broadly accessible at the same time. This
      combination is compelling and distinctive. Mr. Roht has a singular vision
      and only now is beginning to get recognition for years of dedication to his
      work. On December 21st, 2003, the Los Angeles Times described Mr. Roht as
      ³an anarchistic visionary whose time is now.²

      "Growing With Ghosts" is a walk-through show, lasting fifty-minutes. The
      audience for each performance will be limited to 100 people. In this way,
      the experience will be more personal to each audience member. The piece will
      be presented for one month, from April 2 - 25, Friday through Sunday, at
      7:30 p.m. and 9:00 p.m.

      For additional information regarding Mr. Roht and his company, Orphean
      Circus, please check their website, http://www.orpheancircus.com For more
      information on the Center for the Arts, go to
      http://www.centerartseaglerock.org

      7. TERA'S ECLECTIC EAGLE ROCK HOME TOUR MEETING ‹ APRIL 12

      Our Home Tour committee still needs:

      * A secretary, who will take meeting minutes and compile and send out
      agendas before each monthly meeting (a relatively easy assignment)

      * Hey, you artists out there -- we still need a "Scenes of Eagle Rock" art
      show coordinator (formerly the "plein air" show -- we decided to open the
      competition up to all media and interior scenes of Eagle Rock, and we think
      it will attract a lot more talent, which is great for Eagle Rock!)

      Please remember that you will not need to do anything other than one
      specific job (unless you want to do more), making it easier and more fun for
      everyone. Also, you may work with a partner to handle any of the above
      duties.  Our Home Tour committee is open to all TERA members interested in
      furthering TERA's goals and making Eagle Rock an even better place to live.
       If you'd like to help out but are not already a TERA member, we'd be happy
      to sign you up at the next meeting.  It's the best investment you can make
      in your neighborhood, not to mention the best deal ($20 per individual or
      $25 per household)!

      Our next Home Tour meeting will take place Monday, April 12.

      Details  of upcoming meetings will be sent out in our e.letter in the coming
      weeks.  Please help us make this Home Tour the best one yet!  Please contact
      me at artburn@... if you are interested in helping with any of the
      above jobs.  Thanks so much!

      -- Joanne Turner, President Emeritus, The Eagle Rock Association (TERA)

      8. NINTH ANNUAL ³JACK SMITH TRAIL WALK² -- APRIL 18

      The annual Jack Smith Trail Walk, inaugurated nine years ago in honor of the
      celebrated author and Los Angeles Times columnist, will take place on
      Sunday, April 18. Renamed ³The Jack and Denise Smith Trail Walk² in
      recognition of the efforts of the late author¹s wife to support the Mount
      Washington School and other community institutions, the walk consists of a
      four-mile loop through the historic and picturesque Mount Washington
      hillside.

      Walkers will depart in small groups between 9:00 a.m. and 9:30 a.m. from the
      tunnel entrance of the Southwest Museum, 234 Museum Drive, Los Angeles.
      Participation is open to the public and free of charge. Well-behaved dogs on
      leashes are welcome.

      The trail route, walked at a leisurely pace and taking between two and two
      and a half hours, will wind through the slopes of Mount Washington,
      affording walkers dramatic vistas of Mt. San Antonio, Mt. San Gorgonio and
      Mt. San Jacinto --Southern California¹s highest mountain peaks‹as well as
      panoramic views of the San Gabriel and Verdugo ranges. Docents will call
      attention to many notable craftsman and contemporary architectural landmarks
      that dot the area. Walkers will pass hillsides carpeted with blooming
      wildflowers and stands of protected black walnut trees, habitat for many
      wildlife species.  Birdwatchers are encouraged to bring binoculars.

      9. BUNGALOW HEAVEN HOME TOUR -- APRIL 25

      Celebrating its fifteenth year, the Bungalow Heaven Neighborhood Association
      is proud to present Pasadena's premier historic home tour on Sunday, April
      25, 2004, showcasing eight outstanding examples of early twentieth century
      architecture, many of which have never before been open to the public.
      Hours of this walking tour are 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

      The 2004 Historic Home Tour will feature homes within the Bungalow Heaven
      Landmark District of Pasadena, California, which has been featured in Sunset
      magazine, USA Today and most recently in the new books Bungalow Nation and
      California Cottage Style. Each of the homes on tour is a fine example of
      period architecture and style, and docents will be on hand to answer
      questions as visitors enjoy this rare and intimate look through the
      interiors of these unusual homes in this beautiful, tree-lined district.

      From about 1905 to 1920, Bungalow Heaven saw the construction of hundreds of
      Craftsman-style homes, and today Pasadena's first official landmark district
      contains one of the largest collections of these homes in the nation. Many
      of the homes will be decorated in authentic Arts & Crafts-era furniture and
      appointments, and tour organizers have once again invited prominent antiques
      dealers to furnish the homes in period style. A lecture, "Bungalow Heaven
      and the Arts and Crafts Movement," will be presented. Lecture tickets are
      $5.

      Proceeds from previous Home Tours have funded local renovation efforts, such
      as the award-winning MacDonald Park playground. Money raised by the 2004
      Home Tour will continue to fund neighborhood revitalization efforts and
      community events.

      Bungalow Heaven is located north of the 210 (Foothill) Freeway in the heart
      of residential Pasadena between the Lake and Hill exits. Home Tour tickets
      can be purchased the day of the event at MacDonald Park at the intersection
      of Mar Vista Avenue and Mountain Street in Bungalow Heaven. Tickets are $15
      the day of the tour and advance tickets are available for $12 by writing
      BHNA Tour, P.O. Box 40812, Pasadena, CA 91114-7812. For recorded information
      call (626) 585-2172 or visit http://www.bungalowheaven.org

      10. THE GOSPEL ACCORDING TO BRUCE ‹ APRIL 25, 2004

      Bruce Marchiano, the actor who portrayed Jesus in the Visual Bible film The
      Gospel According to Matthew will speak at New Hope Christian Fellowship, 777
      Colorado Blvd., Eagle Rock during the 10:30 a.m. worship service on Sunday,
      April 25, 2004.

      A popular Christian speaker, Marchiano has addressed churches, businesses,
      schools, conferences, and other groups around the world to reveal how his
      faith went from simple belief in Christ to a profound awareness of God¹s
      powerful reality in his life.  For further details about the services at New
      Hope Christian Fellowship or directions to the church, call (626) 836-3199
      or visit the New Hope Website at http://www.newhope4all.org

      11. LA COUNTY ARBORETUM PRESENTS A PLANT SALE & GARDEN SHOW ‹ MAY 1 ­ 2

      Los Angeles County Arboretum & Botanic Garden
      Baldwin Bonanza!
      May 1 & Sun, May 2 - 9am - 4:30
      301 North Baldwin Ave.
      Arcadia

      The fun takes place in the big tent in front of Ayres Hall. The Bonanza is
      with Arboretum admission: $6 for adults, $4 for seniors over 62, $4 for
      students with an ID, children ages 5-12 are $1.50, and under 5 are free

      Here are the some of the event¹s highlights:

      At 10:00 a.m. Saturday, May 1, Jill Vig gives a talk called ³Plants I Have
      Loved.²

      At 11:00 a.m. Steve Goto addresses Heirloom Tomatoes. Steve is the owner of
      Goto Nursery, and sells his heirloom tomatoes and vegetables to many many
      nurseries in Southern California.  Don't miss his Top 25 Tomato Picks for
      2004! These are the result of Tomato Tastings that Steve did last summer and
      fall.  Learn all the tricks to successful planting and harvesting of the
      best tomatoes for this area. There will be a great selection of his
      wonderful tomato plants at the Plant Sale.

      At 1:00 p.m., Gary Jones take a look at "Proven Winners for Your Garden.²
      Gary is the former owner of Hortus Nursery, and is now with Armstrong
      Gardens. He is editor of the California Gardener. Gary will talk about why
      these Proven Winners are some of his favorite plants.  He has an amazing
      ability to combine plants in unique ways so come to his Garden Chat and be
      inspired! The plants will also be available at the Baldwin Bonanza Plant
      Sale.

      At 2:00 p.m. Sharon and Bruce Asakawa take the stock of a Summer Garden.
      Authors of numerous books, including California's Gardener's Guide, as well
      as subjects such as roses and perennials, Sharon and Bruce have a new
      about-to-be published book, California Gardening Rhythms.  Books will be
      available for signing.  And tune in to The Garden Compass radio program
      hosted by Bruce and Sharon and other garden experts; you can be hear it
      throughout California and part of Arizona every Saturday and Sunday from 8
      am to 10 am.

      At 10:30 a.m. on Sunday, May 2, Jan Smithen talks about The Mediterranean
      Style Garden. For 20 years, Jan taught a variety of classes at The
      Arboretum, but was most renown for her Fanatic Gardener class that had a
      2-year waiting list!  She is also co-author of a fascinating and glorious
      book called Sun-Drenched Gardens: The Mediterranean Style, and speaks
      frequently on a variety of subjects.  This is your chance to hear a legend
      without having to be on a wait list!  Jan's book will be available for
      signing.

      At noon, take part in a Floral Demonstration with Wayne Woods. Floral
      artist Wayne Woods of The Woods Exquisite Flowers has been delighting
      gardeners for the past twenty-five years producing gorgeous, precisely
      arranged and selected flowers. Teamed up with his wife Evonne Azar-Woods, a
      third generation florist, The Woods has innovated the art of floral design
      by introducing new and creative uses for flowers and containers. Wayne will
      be discussing basic cut flower care and will demonstrate arrangement
      composition with unique container types.

      Sunday at 11:00 finds Lili Singer discussing Shade Gardening.
      Horticulturist, garden consultant, garden writer with the Los Angeles Times
      and other publications, Lili was formerly the publisher and editor of The
      Southern California Gardener (1991-99) and The Gardener's Companion
      (2000-2003), bimonthly guides to gardening in Southern California.  She
      currently hosts the Thursday Morning Seminar Series at The Arboretum,
      informative gatherings with horticultural specialists, passionate gardeners
      and landscape professionals.  Lili will discuss the joys and challenges of
      gardening in spots with limited sunlight. The session will feature an array
      of shade-tolerant flora for moist areas, dry spots and under trees. Plants
      will be available at the Baldwin Bonanza Plant Sale.

      And, finally, at 2:00 p.m. On Sunday, join Robert Smaus as he looks at ³The
      Gardener's Year.² Gardening goes on year-round in Southern California and
      each month has its special opportunities. There is a natural flow and rhythm
      that follows the seasonal changes. This talk looks at when and why we should
      do something in the garden and how it fits into the gardener's year.  Robert
      Smaus was the Garden Editor of the Los Angeles Times for 25 years (and still
      writes occasional articles), and before that, was the Southern California
      Garden Editor for Sunset Magazine.  He has won several awards for his garden
      writing, including a citation from the American Horticultural Society, and
      is the author of three books, including the best-selling 52 Weeks in the
      California Garden.  He was also the West Coast host for public television's
       "The Victory Garden" for 15 years, and does the occasional guest expert
      spots for DIY network garden and landscape shows.  His books will be
      available for signing.

      For more information, please phone (626) 821 - 4624. Or email:
      Jill.Berry@....

      A PROJECT OF THE COMMON GROUND GARDEN PROGRAM.

      Volunteers of the Common Ground Garden Program help low-income and
      limited-resource county residents to grow and eat more nutritious vegetables
      and fruits.  Programs include Master Gardener volunteers (seasonal gardening
      presentations) and Fresh From The Garden volunteers (simple nutrition and
      food safety presentations).  We work primarily with community gardens,
      school gardens, seniors, and homeless and battered women's shelters.

      12. WE'VE GOT MAIL

      ³Was there a recent advertisement or article about a natural dry cleaners in
      Eagle Rock in the e.letter? We are looking for a cleaner that uses
      environmentally friendly materials. Please forward a phone number or
      address.²

      -- Flora Ito

      Thanks for asking, Sandi.  Sunny Brite at 4927 Eagle Rock Boulevard is the
      local cleaning establishment that recently announced the adoption of a new,
      environmentally improved wet clearing method.  Here's a link to the original
      press release that tells all about this groundbreaking new technique, as
      well the role Occidental College played it getting it implemented:

      http://www.oxy.edu/news/articles/031103-wet-clean.html

      By the way, did you know that back issues of the TERA e.letter are archived
      and accessible to all at TERA's website, http://www.tera90041.org?  It's
      just another benefit made possible through the tireless efforts of TERA's
      crack web maven, Scott Bogue.

      * * *

      ³Our friend and neighbor, Yolanda Noguiera, was recently installed as a
      member of the Highland Park Chamber of Commerce board of directors. Like her
      brother Michael, she is carrying on a family tradition of community service,
      especially in honor of her late father, who once served as the HPCC
      president.

      ³Yolanda's mission will be to improve York Boulevard, taking care to
      preserve its history, improve its greenscaping and encourage more diverse,
      needed and pedestrian-friendly businesses to the district, a la TERA.

      ³Please join me in congratulating Yo!²

      -- Mary Tokita, TERA Board member

      * * *

      ³A question: I live at the north end of Highland Park/Eagle Rock adjacent,
      and I'm currently trying to coordinate some tree plantings (much needed) on
      our block (on city land on a big, wide median.) Although many people have
      expressed interest (residents, councilman, HHPNC, etc.,) this thing seems to
      keep going in a circle. There seem to be trees available from the city, and
      Street Maintenance seems like they would support them. Has TERA been
      through this? Have you gotten trees planted? Would you be interested in
      this if I get it done in H.P.?

      ³Any advice you might have is welcome.²

      -- Patrick Ferry, Highland Park

      Thanks for asking, Patrick. For an answer to your tree question, I
      forwarded your query along to Mary Tokita, the TERA board member who¹s been
      hard at work on getting a community garden started in Eagle Rock. Here¹s
      what out resident Janie Appleseed had to say:

      Dear Patrick:

      Thanks for taking the initiative to improve your local environment! You
      rock!

      Lucky for you, you've explored getting free trees from the city. Here in my
      'hood, we wrote a grant and spent our own money on trees to go onto city
      land here on Lanark Street (it's the block just south of La Loma, 1/2 block
      east of Figueroa. Come check it out sometime.)

      Since you do have leads about free trees, go after them and get them
      committed to your neighborhood. Contact the city office that has the trees
      available and tell them where you want them. Then work with Michael Cathey
      and or Monica at the LA City Council Office (323) 254-5295) to keep them
      aware of your project and have them help you secure the trees if necessary.
      Finally, work with them to organize a tree planting/clean up day in the
      neighborhood. Put out flyers in your neighbors' mailboxes for the event.

      You could do it on Earth Day, Thursday, April 22 (or the Saturday before).

      Depending on your tree selection, you'll need to keep those trees fully
      watered through the heat of the summer. You¹ll have to do this at just for
      the first year to ensure they survive.

      Please keep me posted!

      Warm regards,

      Mary Tokita, LA Master Gardener '01, TERA Board Member, Publicity
      Chair/Beautification Co-Chair and Director, Eagle Rockdale Community Gardens
      & Art Park

      * * *

      ²Hi ! My name is Jessica Jennings, and I live in Glassell Park. My
      neighbors and I have formed a small neighborhood watch group and I enjoy
      your newsletter very much.  My husband and I hope to move to Eagle Rock and
      we are looking to further explore the area.

      ³I am a yoga teacher, and I would love to work more in the Eagle Rock
      community, partly to get a sense of the different areas and also to get to
      know more people there. I offer in-home and office yoga instruction and
      yoga therapeutics (I'm a certified yoga teacher and health fitness
      instructor.)

      ³I'd love to put a short notice in the e.letter. Something like this:

      Private and group Anusara yoga instruction at your home or office: I bring
      all the supplies, and will hold classes in conference rooms and living
      rooms. Come rediscover freedom from back and wrist pain, or simply
      experience the freedom to move with stability and ease.  Call her for a
      free class. It's fun, challenging, non-competitive, and reduces stress as
      well as low-back, neck, and wrist pain.  (It¹s especially useful for people
      sitting at computers a lot!)  Take an hour out to move and come back to work
      with renewed energy, clarity, and inspiration.  Contact Jessica at (323)
      610-7558 or email jessica@....  I would be happy to offer TERA
      members a 20% discount.

      ³My question: do I need to live in Eagle Rock in to have my notice included
      in your e.letter?²

      -- Jessica Jennings, Glassell Park

      Guess not. Good luck to you in building an Eagle Rock client list. And
      thanks for extending that generous discount to our members. If you¹re
      reading this and you aren¹t yet a TERA member, please consider joining.
      You¹ll find all the information you need at the TERA website,
      http://www.tera90041.org We also encourage businesses and entrepreneurs
      doing business here, like Jessica, to join. The cost is reasonable; the
      benefits incalculable.

      * * *

      We welcome your comments, complaints and/or compliments on the e.letter or
      any other topic of interest to greater Eagle Rock. Please address your
      message to e.letter@..., and include your full name, along with
      your city, neighborhood or professional affiliation.  Opinions expressed in
      the e.letter's "We've Got Mail" section do not necessarily reflect the views
      of The Eagle Rock Association (TERA), the e.letter editor, or The Eagle Rock
      Association Board of Directors, who reserve the right to publish letters or
      other materials submitted to the e.letter at their sole discretion.  Letters
      or other material chosen for publication may be edited for style, clarity
      and brevity. Please let us know if you do not wish to have your comments
      appear in the e.letter.

      13. THE LAST WORD ‹ ROSA LUXEMBURG

      ³Without general elections, without unrestricted freedom of press and
      assembly, without a free struggle of opinion, life dies out in every public
      institution, becomes a mere semblance of life, in which only the bureaucracy
      remains as the active element. Public life gradually falls asleep...²

      -- Rosa Luxemburg (1870­1919)

      Distributed weekly via email and as a regular feature on various internet
      discussion groups, the TERA e.letter is read by well over 2000 readers with
      an interest in Eagle Rock and Northeast Los Angeles. Please encourage
      interested friends to send their full name and email address to us at
      e.letter@... so we can keep them informed, too.

      If you have changed your email address or would like to be removed from this
      list, send us an email to e.letter@... with the word(s) "remove"
      or "address change" in the subject box, as appropriate.

      If you have a press release, letter of comment, question or other notice
      that you feel might be of interest to the Eagle Rock community, send it to
      e.letter@.... Your announcement -- in the form of an email text
      message, (no attachments, please) -- must be in our hands by noon on Monday
      to be considered for inclusion in that week's issue.

      TERA -- The Eagle Rock Association -- YOUR COMMUNITY IN ACTION --
      http://www.TERA90041.org --
      P. O. Box 41453, Eagle Rock, CA 90041 -- (323) 259-TERA -- a 501(c)(3)
      nonprofit public benefit corporation

      The TERA e.letter
      A publication of
      The Eagle Rock Association (TERA)