Important Blue Line Developments For Pasadena

  • jbleong2001
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2002
      Dear Mt. Washingtonians:

      I will be sending a more inclusive Blue (Gold) Line update pertaining
      to our neck of the woods the first week of January, 2002. Lots came
      down at the PUC hearing in San Francisco at the end of December which
      will effect all of us in the coming year. In the meantime this late
      date development comes from our neighborly fellow-protestants in
      Pasadena.

      Jim Leong
      MWHA Public Transit

      ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++

      Dear Neighbor:

      This is an update on important Blue Line developments:

      NOBLAG Files Motion to Reopen Evidentiary Hearings:

      On December 27, 2001, NOBLAG filed a motion with the
      California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) to reopen the
      evidentiary hearings that ended on December 14, 2001 based on
      new information on safety hazards at the proposed Del Mar
      crossing that surfaced after the close of the hearings.

      Evidence relating to safety at proposed at-grade crossings in
      Pasadena, South Pasadena, and Los Angeles for which protests
      have been filed by NOBLAG, other public interest groups and
      the CPUC staff was heard at hearings held in Los Angeles and
      San Francisco from November 6 to December 14, 2001. Judge
      Rosenthal, who presided at the hearings, is expected to make
      his ruling some time in March/April 2002, with a final
      decision by the CPCU Commission some time in June/July 2002.

      The new evidence came to light with the final approval by the
      Pasadena Zoning Commission on December 19, 2001, five days
      after the conclusion of the formal hearings, of the Del Mar
      complex.

      Plans approved by the Pasadena Zoning Commission on December
      19, 2001 for the project reveal that the light rail passes
      through a "portal" at Del Mar, between two closely spaced
      buildings, and will entirely obstruct the sight lines of train
      operators as well as motorists travelling south on both Arroyo
      Parkway and Raymond Avenue and motorists travelling east and
      west on Del Mar Blvd.

      NOBLAG's motion states that, "This obstruction clearly
      presents a safety hazard to train operators/passengers as well
      as motorists if the Authority's proposal to construct an at-
      grade crossing at Del Mar Blvd. is approved by the
      Commission."

      NOBLAG requests that either a further evidentiary hearing be
      scheduled for the receipt of the evidence or that NOBLAG be
      permitted to submit evidence in the form of a sworn
      Declaration.

      We will keep you posted on developments.

      Best wishes to all for a wonderful New Year!

      Best Regards,
      Karen Cutts
      Gigi Scully
      Co-Chairs, NOBLAG