2014 Aldama Transitional Kind ergarten enrollment…too late?

  • toddbauer78
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 16, 2014

      Hello-

      I understand (now) that there was a line-up to make an enrollment appointment for Aldama Elementary's 2014-15 transitional kindergarten/dual-language program back in January. I am really hoping to enroll my 4 yr old (turning 5 mid-Sept) in the Aldama Elementary TK program, but it appears that I may have missed the boat (especially after learning that parents start lining up for enrollment appointments at 5am!!!)  Obviously, no one is in the office @ Aldama over the summer, so I'm not really sure if there is anyone to speak with at this point.  Any recommendations or advice?  Is there any chance of getting him in?

      If not, are there other options for getting him in a TK program at another elementary school in the area (Mt Washington, Eagle Rock, etc)?  Any advice is greatly appreciated!

      Todd in HP

    • Tira Howard

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 24, 2014
          Thank you for the replies on this subject.  Here's what I have found out, and please correct me if any of my information is inaccurate!

          - There are actually two TK programs available at Aldama: the standard TK program, and the dual language TK program. The dual language TK is full, as I suspected.

          -The dual language enrollment appointment line is the one that forms sometime in the wee hours in January.  This year there were 4 openings available in the program (gasp!!) Kudos to any program that has parents lined up in the night to secure a spot for their child-- that speaks volumes. It would be awesome if LAUSD recognizes the value and popularity of this program, and makes some funding available for additional dual language programs!!

          -I've spoken with someone in Aldama's office, and it appears that it will be possible to enroll my son in the standard TK program with no problem.

          Based on the CA Dept of Education website, TK must be made available by LAUSD to any child who is eligible for the TK program (turning 5 yrs old between Sept-Dec).  Since we are zoned for Aldama to be our home school, if their standard TK program is full, LAUSD said that Aldama will find us another school where my son can attend TK.  I suspect it will be possible to enroll him in the standard TK program without a problem.  And fingers crossed that we can score our son a spot in the Dual Language program when he starts kindergarten next year.

          Thanks again for the replies.

          Todd in HP