Save our GLASSELLLAND sign

  • 9422c2b4cc9d58cd3b8fd6bb9ddc5a69
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 8, 2014

       Hi folks!

      In case note everyone here knows, Justin Stadel had an Indiegogo campaign to raise money to erect a new GLASSELLLAND sign. He raised 750% of the money he set out to, with support from 61 funders. He got permission from someone to put it on their land, but now it seems the snafu is signage code enforcement rules. I think most people are in support of us having this neighborhood sign, and it would help a LOT if people could write to Cedillo's office in support of the sign, otherwise it will be going away again. Justin's email is below.

      Here's a link to the indiegogo campaign:

      GLASSELLLAND

      And the info for Cedillo's office:

      Cedillo's office:
      Dep. District Dir. Jose Rodriguez
      3750 Verdugo Road, LA 90065
      323-341-5671
      jose.a.rodriguez@...

      Thanks!
      Heather Sabin
      90065

      Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2014 15:57:15 -0700
      Subject: Save Our Sign
      From: justinstadel@...

      Hey Glasselllanders,

      Bad news. I was met by Code Enforcement Bureau who said I had to take down the sign by tomorrow. A complaint was filed (although they cannot talk about it because they have a confidentiality code about complaints). There are rules about signage, but in speaking with these guys from the bureau, they let me know that projects can be granted variances to the code, depending on political (and public) support. (They suggested I get a council member on board with the project)

      So, long story short, I have to take the sign down by the end of tomorrow. I need a lot of help. This is much more than a financial thing now. I am glad that I was able to get half the sign up so that people know that it is ready.

      I am working with a structural engineer (who is a local and supporter of the sign) and he is helping me navigate this situation.

      Please spread the word and let me know if you can think of any other way to push this forward. Maybe we can reach out to Mitch O'Farrell or Gil Cedillo.

      Best,
      Justin Stadel
    • Marge Piane
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 12, 2014
        Thank you for posting. Justin is an artist, and the "sign" is actually an "art installation". As such, the signage code doesn't apply. There was one complaint, and the installation so many of us support came down before it was fully back up.
        Marge