City is giving away FREE MULCH!!

  • car2532002
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 29, 2014

      Anyone can take as much as you want.

      Free Mulch Give-Away - SRPCD

      Posted by Susan R.

    • Tom Williams
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 29, 2014
        They have been doing this for years

        BUT we have banged on the pulpit in Board of Public Works to tell people where they are
        No or very small signs
        but it is FREE - recycling = win reduce transport to Kern Co
        Put is back into LACity (and others)
        Good for the Plants

        Always take
        1. a flat pointed shovel
        2. 1/2in bar or spike to break the pile down
        3.  I use 18-20gal tote/bins and stack in my Toyota Sienna van
        carries >10 x 2 stacked = almost two cu yds
        I hae moved 20 cu yd to my yard

        Put down 4-6in compost and 2-3in mulch and then in 3-4 years till it all in

        Dpt Rec&Park  Griffith Park - chips, mulch and some composts

        BoS - see new page link GREAT
        Down on Washington - lots

        On Mission Road at Richmond east side of street south from LADoT garage
        Tricky entrance drive in intersection be careful
        Often time exhausted by noon Saturday

        On 19th/Humboldt - near Goodwill and SVDP
        Small volume but people forget about it - if not at Mission go to 19th

        Be careful as the mulch is often still working and hot/damp to touch -
        Don't mix active mulch or steaming compost with soil and plants
           without a lot more extra fertilizer -
           elsewise the bacteria can out grow the plants

        It is good stuff and FREE

        Tom

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 29, 2014

          Griffith Park Facility 5400 Griffith Park Dr. Los Angeles , CA 90027 ( Griffith Park )
          Check Friday before going Griffith Park Composting Facility, call 1-800-773-CITY.
          Make sure mulch and compost is available on Saturday
          Usually only when they have the training workshops on Sat morning - ugh before 11am

          Elysian Valley BOS site is closer than Griffith Park to all of us and more available every day  7:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M actually 24/7
          From north bound Riverside Drive go right NE on Gilroy, pass Ripple, pass 3000 Gilroy St. to the end - it is on the street end usually one pile not too reliable

          If you have any complaints on these sites
          give me a message - it is one of my pet comments with the BrdPubWorks

          More we use the more we will get

          Remember also remember to top up any mulched/composted area every 2-3 years with additional
          If kept damp - great fire suppressant...

          Tom