ASNC Candidate Workshop 2/15 11am-1:30pm

  • Martha Benedict
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 11, 2014
      All Region 8 Neighborhood Council candidate are welcome at ASNC's "SHOW US SOME LOVE" Post-Valentine Candidate Workshop.

      Candidate Workshop
      February 15 - 11am to 1:30pm
      Ramona Hall
      4580 N. Figueroa St.

      Refreshments include:
      Fresh Fruit
      Red Velvet Cupcakes
      Chocolate Lava Cake
      from Fresco Community Market

      Neighborhood Council members will be there to answer questions. The Region 8 Independent Election Administrator Jay Handal will also provide orientation--and sign you up to be a candidate.

      Positions open are listed here: http://empowerla.org/asnc/arroyo-seco-nc-2014-elections in addition to candidate requirements.

      Deadline to file is March 12. Don't put this off--there's not much time. The election is April 26.

      This workshop is designed to answer all your questions about what it means to serve on a Neighborhood Council, plus give you a very convenient, friendly, local sign-up process.

      Region 8 Neighborhood Councils are:
      Arroyo Seco, Historic Highland Park, Lincoln Heights, Boyle Heights, LA-32, Greater Cypress Park, Glassell Park, Eagle Rock.

      Info contact election@...

      NC members, please RSVP to let us know you will be helping answer questions!
    • flingitman
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 12, 2014
        Will there be a similar forum for the GPNC, or is that top secret?
      • Martha Benedict
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 12, 2014
          Brian, this is not a Candidate Forum. It is a workshop for people considering being candidates. It is open to all NCs in Region 8, including GPNC.

          Martha

          Will there be a similar forum for the GPNC, or is that top secret?

        • Joe Walker
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 13, 2014
            I believe it is scheduled for Feb 29th from 9:00-9:15 AM in the bus shelter at El Paso and ER Blvd.

            Joe

            Will there be a similar forum for the GPNC, or is that top secret?

          • rbdevera@sbcglobal.net
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 15, 2014
              Brian, Region 8 includes Glassell Park so information from the workshop would apply.  GPNC will also be holding their own meetings and currently have been doing outreach to diference groups and churches.

              Ruby

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 19, 2014
                Yes, thanks Ruby.

                I did attend this meeting sponsored by ASNC and I was very impressed with the presentation made.

                It appears they have many people involved from all walks of life around the Mt Washington area.

                Multiple people actually got up and spoke and it sounded like they were trusted by the board to carry out all kinds of plans for safety, beautification, and other great projects in the ASNC area.

                I wish the Glassell Park NC allowed for such involvement.

                I have attended the last couple of general stakeholder meetings of the GPNC and the situation is dire.

                Copier charges draining the GPNC account, no one seems to know where all the money is, and almost no budget for the upcoming elections, not to mention that it's already too late to actually wage a proper outreach program. From what I heard that copier is costing the GPNC over $1000.00 per month and they are into an extended lease that has a base rate of $300.00 per month.

                Lack of funds, paperwork turned in a month late so no vote by mail, no flyers or newsletters to alert the public even conceived as of yet, the elections will come and go and GP will be left with the status quo, and it's kind of embarrassing for our community.

                I know there is a lot of effort now to get a "Special Meeting" going to at least get something out there in the public eye and at least that is an effort, but it all seems like this should have been done a long time ago.

                The copier lease is an indicator of just how poorly run the GPNC is, no one looked at the contract to see that the base rate of $300.00 per month only included a few copies and that anything over that would be charged on meter clicks? I for one don't think an NC has any business leasing copiers, maybe have a small unit in the office for making quick copies during meetings, but to have a full color Ricoh machine draining the treasury of the GPNC seems just wrong, that's why the have places like Kinko's and Staples, let them lease big machines, our community needs OUTREACH, people need reasons to get involved.

                The new website looks much better, I hope someone is controlling the use of the domain passwords so it does not get hijacked again, but at least it is a step in the right direction.

                I wish the GPNC luck with the elections, but I don't see it being very well attended, and maybe that's how one keeps a seat on the GPNC.

                Brian Frobisher
                Glassell Park