DOG BARKING

  • Jane Demian
    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 11, 2013

      Our next door neighbor has 3 dogs that occasionally bark during the night and early morning hours when they go into the back yard.  We had to file a dog barking complaint about a year ago, and since then the dog barking has been controlled, but lately it has started up again, waking us up.  When we try to talk to the neighbor about not letting the dogs bark in the yard at night or early morning hours, he becomes defensive and starts yelling.  He is now retaliating by playing loud rock music in his garage which is right next to our bedroom.   We thought the only way to deal with the loud music is to call the police if it continues after 10 pm.  Does anyone have any suggestions about other ways to handle someone who is defensive, retaliating, and doesn’t seem to understand that his dogs’ barking is a HUGE problem for his neighbors?

      Thanks.

      Jane

    • Jack Fenn

          Message 4 of 23 , Dec 12, 2013
            Jane,

            Neighbor disputes can be almost the most devastating of any relationships (probably somewhere near the war that goes on between a couple going through a nasty divorce).  My advice is to find a way to defuse this privately, between you and your neighbor.  Find what you have in common and build on that.  Getting the police involved in this conflict crosses a line that may be impossible to uncross.

            --Ray B

          • hauntedcasa@...
            Message 5 of 23 , Dec 13, 2013
              Jack,

              Don't ever discuss the situation with the perpetrator!  Because they will only turn into the NEIGHBOR FROM HELL!  What you do is call animal control at lacy street and tell them the problem.  You work in the morning and you can't get any sleep!

              The animal control will come out and ask if they put their dogs in the house at night?  If he doesn't  then the animal control officer will tell him he needs to do that.  He will tell him if they get more complaints from the neighbors then he will receive a ticket which costs about $100.  If his dogs continue to bark outside at night then he will receive another ticket that may cost twice as much.  If the owner of the dogs refuses to comply then his dogs will be removed.

              As far as his loud music in the garage, there is no such thing as turning down your radio at night by
              10:00 P. M.  It is against the law to be playing the radio loud anytime of the day.  Just call the police, make it anonymous because he is vendictive, and tell the police he plays his radio loud most of the time day and night and they will give him a ticket.  That's it.  Believe me.  It hurts in the pocket.

              Belen

              Message 6 of 23 , Dec 13, 2013

                Ray, that sounds like a nice solution but some neighbor's refuse to resolve a dispute, i.e. Divine Saviour Catholic Church.    There is a dispute resolution program through the city attorney's office. But Divine Saviour refused the program.     And, usually there is a neighbor prosecutor, but Northeast LAPD has been without one for years.

                Jane, you can try the city attorney's office at 1-213-978-8100 and ask for the dispute resolution program. They help neighbors resolve disputes.    Or you can try giving the dog some toys to keep him busy and maybe some dog treats.    Or offer to keep him inside your home at night.

                Getting the police involves often is a last resort and the only one available when you have a neighbor that refuses to be a good neighbor.    You can also ask your Senior Lead Officer to speak with your neighbor.

                Bottom line is some neighbors refuse to be good neighbors.  I know I have one.

              • Ray Bacon
                Message 7 of 23 , Dec 13, 2013
                  Belen, Jane,

                  While Jane's advice is certainly practical, but releasing two different enforcement agencies on your neighbor can also turn that person into a "neighbor from hell."

                  Tread very carefully here and avoid any arguments or confrontations with a neighbor who does not respect your space.

                  On the other hand, if you have to live next door to the person, civility is a two-way street.

                  --Ray B

                  Message 8 of 23 , Dec 13, 2013
                    I've had disputes with my neighbor over all kinds of things, including the use of the washer and dryer, the use of the bathroom our properties share, loud noise (dinner parties and music), guest parking, you name it.  I have learned the hard way, after at least a year of behaving in ways which only escalated their dislike of me, such as holding the threat of monetary or other punitive measures over their heads, that creating fear, which is what the introduction of authorities will do, will only create a neighbor prepared to throw you under the bus at the slightest opportunity.

                    We live in a city with lots of competing needs, not on an island, and the job is to accept and meet both needs.  It's hard to see it now, but we need to try to make friends as best we can of neighbors, even if we don't really like them that much, for our own protection and theirs.  I've been able to at least maintain enough amicability with my neighbor to make it pleasant to live here after I changed my behavior to match my changed attitude that their needs are as important as mine, for both our sakes.  Even if the neighbor is being unfair, if you come at them adversarially, relations are likely to get worse.  If you come to them with a bottle of wine or some homemade bread (even if you can't stand them), and with humility, explain that you're simply hoping for the dogs not to be let out between certain hours, it will be hard for the neighbor to continue hating you, and you may learn something about them as well.

                    I'm saying this after a lot of useless, guttural exchanges and a lot of unnecessary work: swallow your pride, bring over some cookies, ask for what you need, and be willing to understand their needs as well.  If you're sincere, you'll throw them off guard, and make it easier to communicate in the future, when it really matters.  Just my two cents.

                      Message 10 of 23 , Dec 13, 2013
                        I own three notorious barkers. I try to keep them as quiet as possible, but I don't really know how bad they are when I am not at home.  I actually APPRECIATE when my neighbors talk to me about incidences of barking.  Talk to your neighbors.  They might not even be aware of how much it bothers you. You might be able to find creative ways to keep the dogs from barking by working together.  Some things we have done are keeping them only in the back yard or inside in the evenings, putting a barrier between our fences so my dogs don't see their dogs, and exchanging cell phone numbers so they can text me when I am at work.  I let them know when I am going out of town so if there is a dog problem, they can talk to the house sitter immediately.  This kind of cooperation brings real results.  I can assure you that involving the authorities without trying the direct approach first will not eliminate the barking.  It will only lead to animosity.  Living close to each other in the city makes it imperative that we all work together.

                        Marla R. Conti
                        Instructor of Geography
                        Los Angeles City College and Glendale Community College

                        Message 11 of 23 , Dec 14, 2013

                          Thank you to everyone who offered helpful suggestions and advice.  At this point we are seeking mediation to resolve all noise issues including loud music, deliberate noise making late at night or early in the morning, and barking dogs, through the LA City Attorney’s Neighbor Dispute Resolution Program.   The program is voluntary.  If the neighbor agrees we will have someone mediate the issues.  If not we will have to pursue the animal regulation complaint again.    Again, thanks for your help.

                          Jane

                        • Jen Byrne
                          Message 12 of 23 , Dec 15, 2013
                            Jane ~
                            don't do anything with the police.
                            Your neighbor is a jerk.
                            So i would suggest you purchase one of these:

                            http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=23065

                            It looks like a birdhouse, but emits a high pitched noise that humans can't hear, but will deter your neighbors dogs from barking.
                            Of course, don't use this if you have a dog/or dogs.....not fair to bother your dog for something he/she isn't doing.

                            I have multiple dogs and am viligant about them barking...or i should say, not barking.
                            It's just rude, and not neighborly !

                            ~jen byrne

                            “Attitude is the difference between an ORDEAL and an ADVENTURE"

                            DOG BARKING

                            Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:45 pm (PST) . Posted by:

                              Message 14 of 23 , Dec 17, 2013
                                It's okay if you want to do it diplomatically.  But sometimes it makes it worse because now the perpetrator knows who the complainer is.  It's too late to make a call to the animal regulation.

                                I have used the animal regulation a few times in the past without first letting the neighbor with the barking dog know that it was bothering me.  To this day nobody suspected me and I am friends with all my neighbors except the occasional neighbor from hell, which has nothing to do with barking dogs.

                                That is why we are paying police and animal regulation.  So you wouldn't have to put yourself in harms way.  You shouldn't feel trapped in your own home because your bad neighbor might do something to you.  In some cases people have actually been killed

                                Good luck!

                                Belen

                                Message 15 of 23 , Dec 18, 2013

                                  Thank you again for all the great suggestions.   Just wanted to reiterate that we HAVE talked to the neighbor in a cordial way on several occasions about the dog barking.   Most of the time he answers with “dogs bark” … end of discussion.   A year ago, after we filed the dog barking complaint, he did agree to keep his dogs quiet, but since then he may have forgotten his agreement.  Any attempts to have a diplomatic resolution have not  worked up to now.   The Senior Lead officer has been informed as well the LA City Attorney’s office Dispute Resolution program.  In the meantime the neighbor continues to retaliate with deliberate noises late at night and early in the morning waking us up.

                                  -Jane

                                • Ray Bacon
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Dec 18, 2013
                                    Jane,

                                    I have a neighbor in my own neighborhood who had similar experiences with his next-door delinquent.  When he asked if the neighbor could do something about the dog, the neighbor replied with "...guess I'll have to get my gun and shoot the dog."  With that the complaining neighbor decided that communication was at a standstill and retreated to his side of the fence.

                                    I've found that if you determine the neighbor is a renter, rather than owner of the home, you have more leverage.  While living in the Silverlake Area years ago, the local police were more sympathetic to the home owner of a two-neighbor dispute than to the offending renter neighbor.

                                    I was once able to get a drug using neighbor removed from her condo by the owner (her mother) when we received a report that a drug overdose had occurred in the unit, with an ambulance called to revive the overdosed "victim"  Our condo rules had a felony provision for removing tenants, but when we threatened eviction based on the felony report, the owner took steps to get her daughter out and replaced by a "normal" tenant.

                                    --Ray B

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Dec 18, 2013
                                      Exactly!  That is what I was trying to tell you.  Don't even bother to go to police or the city attorney.  It just goes around and around.  However, if some other neighbor decided to call the animal regulation because they can't sleep at night, the bad neighbor with the barking dogs is still going to think you called and continue to retaliate.  You might as well call animal regulation.  That is what they are there for.  Next time just call police or animal regulation anonymously.

                                      Belen

                                      In a message dated 12/18/2013 10:34:19 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, janedemian@... writes:

                                      Thank you again for all the great suggestions.   Just wanted to reiterate that we HAVE talked to the neighbor in a cordial way on several occasions about the dog barking.   Most of the time he answers with “dogs bark” … end of discussion.   A year ago, after we filed the dog barking complaint, he did agree to keep his dogs quiet, but since then he may have forgotten his agreement.  Any attempts to have a diplomatic resolution have not  worked up to now.   The Senior Lead officer has been informed as well the LA City Attorney’s office Dispute Resolution program.  In the meantime the neighbor continues to retaliate with deliberate noises late at night and early in the morning waking us up.

                                      -Jane

                                    • Pat Mierzwa
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Dec 18, 2013
                                        record all the disturbances on your digital camera or other device.

                                        you should be able to get a restraining order from 111 N. Hill (take ehis name and address, your evidence)
                                        A notice goes out to your neighbor, then the poliice can take action.
                                        good luck.

                                        On Wednesday, December 18, 2013 10:37 AM, Jane Demian <janedemian@...> wrote:

                                        Thank you again for all the great suggestions.   Just wanted to reiterate that we HAVE talked to the neighbor in a cordial way on several occasions about the dog barking.   Most of the time he answers with “dogs bark” … end of discussion.   A year ago, after we filed the dog barking complaint, he did agree to keep his dogs quiet, but since then he may have forgotten his agreement.  Any attempts to have a diplomatic resolution have not  worked up to now.   The Senior Lead officer has been informed as well the LA City Attorney’s office Dispute Resolution program.  In the meantime the neighbor continues to retaliate with deliberate noises late at night and early in the morning waking us up.
                                        -Jane

                                      • Mo Oxford
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Dec 19, 2013
                                          If you have documented the disturbances and your interactions with your neighbor through a diary or log (pictures/video are great, too), kept records of all of your contacts with police, etc., then sue in small claims court for private nuisance. You can now sue for up to $10,000. Hitting someone in the wallet is often more effective than anything else. I'm actually surprised the senior lead and DA have not already suggested this.

                                          Mo Oxford

                                          Message 20 of 23 , Dec 19, 2013
                                            I just  completed a small claims case in LA. (The issue was my neighbor dumping  yard debris onto my property).
                                            We just spent 14months over this issue-the courts have down-sized, the first date we never got heard, the 2nd date she didn't show and I won, a month later she appealed and we had a new date. I just won again, but have had some vandalism now.
                                            LA courts allow 2 appeals, it could go on for more than a year and you'd lose time for multiple court datres.

                                            Message 21 of 23 , Dec 19, 2013
                                              You might want to go the restraining order route if you want but that won't necessarily make the perpetrator pay anything substantial.  But because this person is not a rational person he may try to find ways to punish you.  He may even get a restraining order on you and the court may listen to him and you will look like the real trouble maker.  It happened to a friend of mine.  You are back to square one.  Document the barking at night with a recording or camera.  Then call animal regulation every time the dogs are barking.  Do the same for the loud radio and then call the police.  If you do not want to do any of this then sound proof your bedroom walls.  Grow bushes or trees on that side of the house and get a DVD that has sounds of waterfalls or something in nature to listen to so you can get some sleep.

                                              Good luck!     Belen