Gardener experienced with native plants

  • a_kassabian
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 19, 2013
      Hi all,

      I am looking for a gardener experienced with California native plants, as well as succulents. My house is on a hillside and I have no lawns--just landscaping. I need someone to come by once a week or once every two weeks, trim the plants, blow the leaves from the driveways. Occasionally, I will need help planting or trimming trees (major stuff will be handled separately). The person I am looking for should be experienced, fairly independent, may have worked with a landscaper before, and willing/able to stay for 1-2 hours.

      If you know anyone like this, please let me know. I have tried looking through the archives, but, frankly, it is hard to judge a person's experience just from the name and phone number.

      Thanks,
      Ara
    • Hilda Wagner
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 19, 2013
        Remember, having someone "blow the leaves from the driveways" using a gas powered blower is illegal in Los Angeles and inconsiderate to your neighbors. Please make sure whoever you hire knows the rules.

        I have heard people scoff at this law but I have also seen someone have an asthma attack from a neighbor using a blower.

        I don't have asthma but did have my studio filled with debris after my neighbor had a gardener using one next to my open window. Nothing like blown debris stuck to oil paint :(

        Link to earlier discussion: Here's the info:

        Thanks!
        Hilda

        On Nov 19, 2013, at 4:18 PM, <a_kassabian@...> wrote:

        Hi all,

        I am looking for a gardener experienced with California native plants, as well as succulents. My house is on a hillside and I have no lawns--just landscaping. I need someone to come by once a week or once every two weeks, trim the plants, blow the leaves from the driveways. Occasionally, I will need help planting or trimming trees (major stuff will be handled separately). The person I am looking for should be experienced, fairly independent, may have worked with a landscaper before, and willing/able to stay for 1-2 hours.

        If you know anyone like this, please let me know. I have tried looking through the archives, but, frankly, it is hard to judge a person's experience just from the name and phone number.

        Thanks,
        Ara

      • ms360b
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 28, 2013
          Hi Ara,

          Use google to look up 443 Mount Washington Drive...this has always been a favorite spot of mine when out walking, to see what the owners have done with the property. I imagine they would be willing to share the name of their gardener with you (sorry, I don't know their names).
          http://www.city-data.com/los-angeles-county/M/Mount-Washington-Drive-5.html
          this is a page with the property info...

          I'd also suggest contacting the people at the Theodore Payne Foundation
          http://www.theodorepayne.org/
          They might have a listing of gardeners. It's where we get our native plants and you might consider (I know you're a busy person but it's not that far) visiting it to get an idea of specific plants, locales and so on.
          Hope this helps!
          ms360b/lynda
          --- In nelalist@yahoogroups.com, <a_kassabian@...> wrote:

          > Hi all,
          >

          > I am looking for a gardener experienced with California native plants, as well as succulents. My house is on a hillside and I have no lawns--just landscaping. I need someone to come by once a week or once every two weeks, trim the plants, blow the leaves from the driveways. Occasionally, I will need help planting or trimming trees (major stuff will be handled separately). The person I am looking for should be experienced, fairly independent, may have worked with a landscaper before, and willing/able to stay for 1-2 hours.
          >

          > If you know anyone like this, please let me know. I have tried looking through the archives, but, frankly, it is hard to judge a person's experience just from the name and phone number.
          >

          > Thanks,
          > Ara

        • Warren Christensen
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 30, 2013
            Alec Christensen,  Native landscapes.  323-867-7805.

            Warren Christensen
            nnapnow@...

            Use google to look up 443 Mount Washington Drive...this has always been a favorite spot of mine when out walking, to see what the owners have done with the property. I imagine they would be willing to share the name of their gardener with you (sorry, I don't know their names).
            http://www.city-data.com/los-angeles-county/M/Mount-Washington-Drive-5.html
            this is a page with the property info...

            I'd also suggest contacting the people at the Theodore Payne Foundation
            http://www.theodorepayne.org/
            They might have a listing of gardeners. It's where we get our native plants and you might consider (I know you're a busy person but it's not that far) visiting it to get an idea of specific plants, locales and so on.
            Hope this helps!
            ms360b/lynda
            --- In nelalist@yahoogroups.com, <a_kassabian@...> wrote:

            > Hi all,
            >

            > I am looking for a gardener experienced with California native plants, as well as succulents. My house is on a hillside and I have no lawns--just landscaping. I need someone to come by once a week or once every two weeks, trim the plants, blow the leaves from the driveways. Occasionally, I will need help planting or trimming trees (major stuff will be handled separately). The person I am looking for should be experienced, fairly independent, may have worked with a landscaper before, and willing/able to stay for 1-2 hours.
            >

            > If you know anyone like this, please let me know. I have tried looking through the archives, but, frankly, it is hard to judge a person's experience just from the name and phone number.
            >

            > Thanks,
            > Ara

          • Tom Williams
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 30, 2013
              Highly recommend that you not use 443 as an example and go more for the "local" California Native Plants = lots of black walnuts, sages, coyote bush, ceanothus/Calif.Lilac and other non-desert/non-island species...I love manzanita but lived too long in SF Bay area and wouldn't use it here...

              OBTW test your soils and see what the sand/silt/clay content is - I live on a shale/clay hill while Mt.Washington and Lincoln Height Hills is sandstone....then of course...north  vs south facing - 443 is SW facing - and very hot so few trees and lots of hot stuff - cactus maybe but try opuntia.

              On Thursday, November 28, 2013 12:15 PM, ms360b <gabriele360@...> wrote:

              Hi Ara,

              Use google to look up 443 Mount Washington Drive...this has always been a favorite spot of mine when out walking, to see what the owners have done with the property. I imagine they would be willing to share the name of their gardener with you (sorry, I don't know their names).
              http://www.city-data.com/los-angeles-county/M/Mount-Washington-Drive-5.html
              this is a page with the property info...

              I'd also suggest contacting the people at the Theodore Payne Foundation
              http://www.theodorepayne.org/
              They might have a listing of gardeners. It's where we get our native plants and you might consider (I know you're a busy person but it's not that far) visiting it to get an idea of specific plants, locales and so on.
              Hope this helps!
              ms360b/lynda
              --- In nelalist@yahoogroups.com, <a_kassabian@...> wrote:

              > Hi all,
              >

              > I am looking for a gardener experienced with California native plants, as well as succulents. My house is on a hillside and I have no lawns--just landscaping. I need someone to come by once a week or once every two weeks, trim the plants, blow the leaves from the driveways. Occasionally, I will need help planting or trimming trees (major stuff will be handled separately). The person I am looking for should be experienced, fairly independent, may have worked with a landscaper before, and willing/able to stay for 1-2 hours.
              >

              > If you know anyone like this, please let me know. I have tried looking through the archives, but, frankly, it is hard to judge a person's experience just from the name and phone number.
              >

              > Thanks,
              > Ara

            • Gloria Schneider
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 2, 2013
                Ara and all,

                I would like to recommend Kieth Hilburn, who owns JKH Landscape 1. He and his crews have provided outstanding landscape maintenance services for a homowners associtation's  in the Hermon area with more than 6 acres of common areas planted in mostly California native and drought tolerant species for over 8 years.

                Contact him at 310-714-3914 or jkhland1@...

                Alec Christensen,  Native landscapes.  323-867-7805.

                Warren Christensen
                nnapnow@...

                Use google to look up 443 Mount Washington Drive...this has always been a favorite spot of mine when out walking, to see what the owners have done with the property. I imagine they would be willing to share the name of their gardener with you (sorry, I don't know their names).
                http://www.city-data.com/los-angeles-county/M/Mount-Washington-Drive-5.html
                this is a page with the property info...

                I'd also suggest contacting the people at the Theodore Payne Foundation
                http://www.theodorepayne.org/
                They might have a listing of gardeners. It's where we get our native plants and you might consider (I know you're a busy person but it's not that far) visiting it to get an idea of specific plants, locales and so on.
                Hope this helps!
                ms360b/lynda
                --- In nelalist@yahoogroups.com, <a_kassabian@...> wrote:

                > Hi all,
                >

                > I am looking for a gardener experienced with California native plants, as well as succulents. My house is on a hillside and I have no lawns--just landscaping. I need someone to come by once a week or once every two weeks, trim the plants, blow the leaves from the driveways. Occasionally, I will need help planting or trimming trees (major stuff will be handled separately). The person I am looking for should be experienced, fairly independent, may have worked with a landscaper before, and willing/able to stay for 1-2 hours.
                >

                > If you know anyone like this, please let me know. I have tried looking through the archives, but, frankly, it is hard to judge a person's experience just from the name and phone number.
                >

                > Thanks,
                > Ara

              • Gloria Schneider
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 2, 2013
                  Ara and all,

                  I would like to recommend Kieth Hilburn, who owns JKH Landscape 1. He and his crews have provided outstanding landscape maintenance services for a homowners associtation's  in the Hermon area with more than 6 acres of common areas planted in mostly California native and drought tolerant species for over 8 years.

                  Contact him at 310-714-3914 or jkhland1@...

                  Alec Christensen,  Native landscapes.  323-867-7805.

                  Warren Christensen
                  nnapnow@...

                  Use google to look up 443 Mount Washington Drive...this has always been a favorite spot of mine when out walking, to see what the owners have done with the property. I imagine they would be willing to share the name of their gardener with you (sorry, I don't know their names).
                  http://www.city-data.com/los-angeles-county/M/Mount-Washington-Drive-5.html
                  this is a page with the property info...

                  I'd also suggest contacting the people at the Theodore Payne Foundation
                  http://www.theodorepayne.org/
                  They might have a listing of gardeners. It's where we get our native plants and you might consider (I know you're a busy person but it's not that far) visiting it to get an idea of specific plants, locales and so on.
                  Hope this helps!
                  ms360b/lynda
                  --- In nelalist@yahoogroups.com, <a_kassabian@...> wrote:

                  > Hi all,
                  >

                  > I am looking for a gardener experienced with California native plants, as well as succulents. My house is on a hillside and I have no lawns--just landscaping. I need someone to come by once a week or once every two weeks, trim the plants, blow the leaves from the driveways. Occasionally, I will need help planting or trimming trees (major stuff will be handled separately). The person I am looking for should be experienced, fairly independent, may have worked with a landscaper before, and willing/able to stay for 1-2 hours.
                  >

                  > If you know anyone like this, please let me know. I have tried looking through the archives, but, frankly, it is hard to judge a person's experience just from the name and phone number.
                  >

                  > Thanks,
                  > Ara

                • Meg Taylor
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 5, 2013
                    What is the rate of pay?

                    On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 3:01 PM, Gloria Schneider <jerryspe9@...> wrote:

                    Ara and all,

                    I would like to recommend Kieth Hilburn, who owns JKH Landscape 1. He and his crews have provided outstanding landscape maintenance services for a homowners associtation's  in the Hermon area with more than 6 acres of common areas planted in mostly California native and drought tolerant species for over 8 years.

                    Contact him at 310-714-3914 or jkhland1@...

                    Alec Christensen,  Native landscapes.  323-867-7805.

                    Warren Christensen
                    nnapnow@...

                    Use google to look up 443 Mount Washington Drive...this has always been a favorite spot of mine when out walking, to see what the owners have done with the property. I imagine they would be willing to share the name of their gardener with you (sorry, I don't know their names).
                    http://www.city-data.com/los-angeles-county/M/Mount-Washington-Drive-5.html
                    this is a page with the property info...

                    I'd also suggest contacting the people at the Theodore Payne Foundation
                    http://www.theodorepayne.org/
                    They might have a listing of gardeners. It's where we get our native plants and you might consider (I know you're a busy person but it's not that far) visiting it to get an idea of specific plants, locales and so on.
                    Hope this helps!
                    ms360b/lynda
                    --- In nelalist@yahoogroups.com, <a_kassabian@...> wrote:

                    > Hi all,
                    >

                    > I am looking for a gardener experienced with California native plants, as well as succulents. My house is on a hillside and I have no lawns--just landscaping. I need someone to come by once a week or once every two weeks, trim the plants, blow the leaves from the driveways. Occasionally, I will need help planting or trimming trees (major stuff will be handled separately). The person I am looking for should be experienced, fairly independent, may have worked with a landscaper before, and willing/able to stay for 1-2 hours.
                    >

                    > If you know anyone like this, please let me know. I have tried looking through the archives, but, frankly, it is hard to judge a person's experience just from the name and phone number.
                    >

                    > Thanks,
                    > Ara

                  • Gloria Schneider
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 6, 2013
                      Meg,

                      Rate of Pay? Rates depend upon the task. Kieth's rates are competitive, reasonable, but not cheap. His firm is bonded/insured and employees are covered by worker's comp. If you want to compare his rates it would be best to ask him to quote and be sure you compare apples to apples.

                      Jerry