GAS BLOWERS

  • Jane Demian
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 11, 2013

      Is there some way I can locate the discussion about a month or two ago on gas blowers used by gardeners?  We have an early morning gas blower in the neighborhood and we’d like to address the problem through city services.  Thanks.  --Jane

    • car2532002
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 12, 2013

        Call 311 or report it online.

         http://bss.lacity.org/Request.htm

        Susan

        ---In nelalist@yahoogroups.com, <janedemian@...> wrote:

        Is there some way I can locate the discussion about a month or two ago on gas blowers used by gardeners?  We have an early morning gas blower in the neighborhood and we’d like to address the problem through city services.  Thanks.  --Jane

      • ms360b
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 13, 2013
          Hi,

          Here's the info:

          It might be worth while to print out the information and let your neighbor know that their yard worker is breaking the law and knows it.
          He may tell the property owner 'I have a permit' or some incorrect thing. The yard worker will say he can't do the work without the blower or he'd have to charge X$ more...(inflating the cost considerably).
          One neighbor, when presented with the accurate info told me that 'he's such a nice man and he has a family with so many children and he can't afford not to use the blower'. My reply: He's lying to you and he's breaking the law. Why do you want to employ someone who lies to you and breaks the law?

          At least you can let the neighbor know that there are legal ramifications for employing someone who uses an illegal blower, because yes, the fines go to the property owner..not the gardener.
          Not all neighbors have negative responses. One quite close was unaware of the law and when made aware, so instructed his gardener. So it's not all negative. Approaching the neighbor on a 'you probably don't know, but...' takes any accusation out of the discussion...

          You could also do a flyer and address it as if you didn't know who was using the man with the blower...
          You might also want to make note of the time when they start using the equipment (all equipment) as there are controls on the hours they can be used.
          If you already know the neighbors and don't WANT to talk to them (I can understand that, definitely) then yes, it can be reported on the 311 line I think.
          The Silver Lake NC has members trying to get the NC to become actively involved in the matter to push for more enforcement.
          Good luck. We lucked out...the women who hired the yard man moved, so he's history.
          ms360b/lynda