ASNC Agenda 10/28/13

  • Martha Benedict
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 25, 2013
      ARROYO SECO NEIGHBORHOOD COUNCIL (ASNC)
      Meeting of the Board of Representatives
      Monday October 28, 2013 · 7:00 p.m. · Ramona Hall, 4580 North Figueroa Street, Los Angeles, CA 90065

      A G E N D A

      Documents related to this agenda may viewed at http://www.asnc.us/2013-archives/10-Oct/_1013archives.htm

      As a covered entity under Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City of Los Angeles does not discriminate on the basis of disability and upon request will provide reasonable accommodation to ensure equal access to its programs, services, and activities. Sign language interpreters, assisted listening devices, or other auxiliary aids and/or services may be provided upon request. To ensure availability of services, please make your request at least 3 business days (72-hours) prior to the meeting by contacting Department of Neighborhood Empower, at (213) 978-1551 or toll-free at 311.

      In compliance with Government Code section 54957.5, non-exempt writings that are distributed to a majority or all members of the Board in advance of a meeting, may be viewed at the Neighborhood Council meeting or on the Neighborhood Council website by clicking or visiting www.asnc.us.

      SI REQUIERE SERVICIOS DE TRADUCCION, FAVOR DE NOTIFICAR A LA OFICINA 3 días de trabajo (72 horas) ANTES DEL EVENTO. SI NECESITA ASISTENCIA CON ESTA NOTIFICACION, POR FAVOR LLAME A NUESTRA OFICINA AL (213) 978-1551.

      1. CALL TO ORDER AND ROLL CALL
      2. WELCOME and INTRODUCTORY REMARKS (President Martha Benedict, 1 min.)
      3. APPROVAL OF MINUTES (Secretary Valerie Harragin, 5 min.) [For discussion and possible action]
      motion: The ASNC Board approves the minutes of the September 23, 2013 ASNC Board meeting.
      4. GENERAL PUBLIC COMMENT (15 min. total) The public may provide comments to the board on non-agenda items within the Neighborhood Councils subject matter jurisdiction. However, please note that under the Brown Act, the board is prevented from acting on the issue you bring to its attention until the matter is agendized for discussion at a future public meeting.
      5. COMMENTS FROM PUBLIC OFFICIALS OR THEIR REPRESENTATIVES (10 min.)
      A. Mayor Eric Garcetti’s Field Deputy Patricia Alarcón [patricia.alarcon@...]
      B. CD1 Field Deputy Sylvia Robledo [sylvia.robledo@...]
      C. CD14 Field Deputy Julio Esperias [julio.esperias.jr@...]
      D. Other public officials and representatives
      6. REAPPOINTMENT OF PARLIAMENTARIAN (3 min.) [For discussion and possible action]
      motion: The ASNC Board reappoints Ivan Spiegel as ASNC Parliamentarian through June 2014.
      7. LOCAL ISSUES COMMITTEE REPORTS (5 min.) Local Issues Committees report to the Board on matters of local importance. Provide future meeting dates: Hermon, Monterey Hills, Montecito Heights, Mt. Washington, Sycamore Grove.
      8. ALLIANCE OF RIVER COMMUNITIES REPORT (Valerie Harragin, Nina Zippay, 5 min.) ARC, Northeast LA’s NC group, met on October 24.
      9. RULES & ELECTIONS COMMITTEE REPORT (Nina Zippay, 5 min.) The Rules & Election Committee has compiled the most recent version of the Standing Rules and posted it on the asnc.us web site.

      OLD BUSINESS [For discussion and possible action]
      10. CITY COUNCIL 60-DAY ADVANCE NOTICE TO NCs
      motion: The ASNC shall send a letter to the City Council and the Mayor requesting that notification of all “important” issues should be sent to the Neighborhood Councils 60 days prior to their first hearing so that the NCs may have time to reach out to their stakeholders and take a position. This should be done through the Early Notification System or other expeditious means.

      NEW BUSINESS [For discussion and possible action]
      11. NC REPRESENTATIVE SPEAKERS AT CITY COUNCIL (Martha Benedict for LANCC, 5 min.)
      motion: The ASNC shall send a letter to the President of the City Council requesting that the City Council and all of its committees shall allow a five-minute public comment period to all speakers that are officially representing a position of their Neighborhood Council and who have previously filed a Community Impact Statement on a specific agenda item. This NC Comment Period should be separate from and prior to Public Comment from non-Neighborhood Council speakers.
      12. TREASURER’S REPORT (5 min.)
      motion: ASNC Board approves Monthly Expenditure Report and Purchase Card statement (see attached).
      A. LIGHTING FOR STORAGE SPACE (Outreach Committee)
      motion: ASNC approves the expenditure of up to $50 to purchase an LED lantern to be used and kept in the ASNC’s storage space.
      B. OLD LA FARMERS MARKET HALLOWEEN EVENT SUPPORT (Outreach Committee)
      motion: ASNC approves the expenditure of up to $50 in support of the October 29th Old LA Farmers Market Halloween event.
      C. ASNC BUSINESS CARDS (Outreach Committee)
      motion: ASNC approves the expenditure up to $234.20 for City-printed business cards for new Board members and new officers at $21.30 for 200 cards each.
      13. CIS SUPPORTING CF 12-0785 URBAN BEEKEEPING (Nina Zippay, Environment rep, 5 min.)
      motion: ASNC will submit the following Community Impact Statement: ASNC supports legalization of urban beekeeping within R1 districts in Los Angeles and encourages the City to initiate an ordinance to allow residents to raise their own honeybees, a practice which boosts struggling honeybee populations and ensures local food security. ASNC also strongly urges the City Council to improve Bee Rescue policy which, when feasible, supports live bee removal on city and public property within Los Angeles. (435 characters)
      14. CIS SUPPORTING U.S. ARMY CORPS L.A. RIVER ALT. 20 (Nina Zippay, Environment rep, 5 min.)
      motion: ASNC will submit the following Community Impact Statement: Alternative 20 is the only truly robust ecosystem restoration plan providing four times more jobs than the Corps-preferred alternative. It addresses historic injustices caused by channelization in the way it improves habitat connections, increases seasonal riparian flow regimes, creates new access to open spaces for enhanced public health, local econo­mies, and quality of life, including the communities of the Arroyo Seco Neighborhood Council. (447 characters)
      15. PARK RANGERS FOR DEBS PARK (Montecito Heights Local Issues Local Issues, 5 min.)
      motion: ASNC requests that City Council identify the resources to deploy two Park Rangers to Debs Park in view of the increasing homeless camps, copper thefts and infrastructure damage especially in the critical hours between 2 p.m. and 10 p.m.
      16. APPOINTMENT OF BOARD OF PUBLIC WORKS MONITOR (5 min.)
      motion: ASNC appoints a non-executive Board member or stakeholder to monitor the actions of the Board of Public Works in order to provide a timely report to the ASNC Board of issues that could affect the ASNC area. http://bpw.lacity.org
      17. APPOINTMENT OF CITY COUNCIL MONITOR (5 min.)
      motion: ASNC appoints a non-executive Board member to monitor City Council motions in order to provide a timely report to the ASNC Board of issues that could affect the ASNC area.
      18. AD HOC ELECTION COMMITTEE’S STIPULATION WORKSHEET (Martha Benedict, 5 min.)
      motion: The ASNC Board approves the recommendations of the Ad Hoc Election Committee on the Elections Procedures Stipulation Worksheet.
      19. ASNC OFFICER SELECTIONS (Martha Benedict, 10 min.)
      motion: In view of the completion of the one year term, selections for the executive officers President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer and Registrar will be held.
      20. SELECTION TO FILL MONTEREY HILLS REPRESENTATIVE VACANCY (5 min.)
      Boris Kzorin - I moved to Monterey Hills in 2010, since after thirty years of happy marriage my sole friend and late wife was found qualified for her next life mission. I liked the beautiful environment at Arroyo Seco from first look, as I am able to see its daily wonders. I’m father of two adult sons specializing in entertainment industry. I am building engineer turned to be a legal professional, holding associate membership at LAPA. I became a Fellow American earlier this year. I see this open position a good opportunity for my civil service. This is my volunteer’s call. In respect to public policy I’m established by HOA renter. There is a lot of work with a quality of a life issues within my geographic federation. People want better understanding and advocating, as well as stopping invasion in their privacy from the side of managing companies. Within my struggles to get a new language, keeping heritage and targeting a platform of better understanding between cultures, I developed a hobby of doing Russian-English Singing Translations. So I am looking forward for your consideration and approval to put my energy and a fresh look to work for our future together.
      21. BOARD MEMBER COMMENTS (5 min.) Board members’ own activities or brief announcements. Introduce new issues for consideration at the next board meeting. [Items only - no discussion]
      22. ADJOURNMENT The next meeting of the board is Monday, November 25, 2013 at Ramona Hall.