Verdugo Market / Glassell Park

  • d1e22ae072e77eda174c8332d7062248
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 24, 2013
      Not sure what is planned for the now burned-down Verdugo Market on Verdugo Road...most people I've talked to in the neighborhood would LOVE to see a more high-end grocery store, such as Trader Joes...anyone knows anything about this?
    • Pat Rollie
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 25, 2013
        About a year ago, the Los Angeles times wrote an article about Trader's Joes and it covered how they select locations. One of the criteria is number of college educated folks. they use specific demographics most of which I found to be quite elitist . They define their shoppers by income, ability to travel and higher education. Not that there is anything wrong with any of that, but I would be surprised if they found our community acceptable. There was a Trader Joes on Ave 64 in Highland Park when I moved here, but that is long gone. But give it a shot. By the way, I don't shop at Trader Joes for the very reasons I mentioned above. I don't agree with their elitist attitude.  Pat
        On Oct 24, 2013, at 1:25 PM, <julienfenton@...> <julienfenton@...> wrote:

        Not sure what is planned for the now burned-down Verdugo Market on Verdugo Road...most people I've talked to in the neighborhood would LOVE to see a more high-end grocery store, such as Trader Joes...anyone knows anything about this?

      • Marge Piane
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 25, 2013
          I asked Jose Rodriguez, the District Deputy for CD1, before putting out the last issue of the GPIA News, and he had no information. Last week I asked Mel, the CD1 case-worker, & still, no information. Both representatives have offices a few blocks up Verdugo from the market.
          I did speak with the Fire Inspector, and he told me that their inspection is complete, and it's now in the hands of the owner & his insurance company. The inspector said that he believed the plan was to rebuild the market.
          Marge
        • Scott Rubel
          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 25, 2013
            It's not elitist. It's business and their criteria obviously works for them as they are larger than Whole Foods. They may well be wrong about how well they would do in our neighborhood these days, but it would be questionable to invest in an area that not only has failed in the past, but which their criteria indicate would fail again.

            I do wish they would give it a try, but I don't hold their business decisions against them. Even though I am happy with Fresco Market in Hermon, if we are to have another market I would rather try to get a Sprouts market here.

            --Scott

            On Oct 25, 2013, at 9:16 AM, Pat Rollie <patrollie@...> wrote:

[...]

          • Richard Harris
            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 25, 2013
              It's not a question of elitism, it's a question of the income group. They don't care whom the shoppers are, they care about their income. Another criterium of TJ's is that they plan for a twenty minute car drive between locations. However, historically the Pasadena area had more stores closer together. The store at Avenue 64 was a Pronto Market (a chain of smaller stores involved in the genesis of TJ's) and in terms of income, with the Eagle Rock, the South Pas and the Arroyo Pkwy stores so close-by was not profitable. And it was the last Pronto Market in the TJ chain. In terms of all this, Verdugo Market is too close to those other TJ locations.
            • Pat Rollie
              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 25, 2013
                That's actually not how Joe of Trader Joes put it in the article. He actually said he wanted well educated travelers as they would appreciate his products and his vision. He(Joe) was quoted in detail how he place markets and the demographics of his customers. It was quite a revealing article. Pat
                On Oct 25, 2013, at 11:35 AM, Richard Harris wrote:

                It's not a question of elitism, it's a question of the income group. They don't care whom the shoppers are, they care about their income. Another criterium of TJ's is that they plan for a twenty minute car drive between locations. However, historically the Pasadena area had more stores closer together. The store at Avenue 64 was a Pronto Market (a chain of smaller stores involved in the genesis of TJ's) and in terms of income, with the Eagle Rock, the South Pas and the Arroyo Pkwy stores so close-by was not profitable. And it was the last Pronto Market in the TJ chain. In terms of all this, Verdugo Market is too close to those other TJ locations.

              • Bob Bailey
                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 27, 2013
                  I agree with Richard. But one more thing no one that lives in Glassell Park shops at Trader Joe's. I've was a T.J. and the checker asked for their zip code they freaked out why do you want to know where I live? Well lets say if enough of 90065 shopped at T.J.'s you just might get one. It's pure and simple marketing. Why do you think the big three have club cards. Marketing! So next they ask for your zip code give it them. You just might get your book store or a cool place to eat.
                  RWB
                  On 10/25/13 11:35 AM, Richard Harris wrote:

                  It's not a question of elitism, it's a question of the income group. They don't care whom the shoppers are, they care about their income. Another criterium of TJ's is that they plan for a twenty minute car drive between locations. However, historically the Pasadena area had more stores closer together. The store at Avenue 64 was a Pronto Market (a chain of smaller stores involved in the genesis of TJ's) and in terms of income, with the Eagle Rock, the South Pas and the Arroyo Pkwy stores so close-by was not profitable. And it was the last Pronto Market in the TJ chain. In terms of all this, Verdugo Market is too close to those other TJ locations.

                • Meg Taylor

                        Message 11 of 19 , Oct 29, 2013
                          If memory serves, the TJ in Highland Park on Ave. 64 was closed because it kept being robbed.  No business is going to stay in an area if profits and employee safety are constantly being jeopardized.

                          I technically live in Lincoln Heights, but am adjacent to Cypress Park and Highland Park; I can get on the 110 and hit the TJ in So. Pas. but I usually try to patronize the local markets, even if the music at the Big Saver on Fig. & Ave. 26 is enough to make someone crazy.  Their produce is often way cheaper than the big chains and TJ, and the meat counters have a wide variety of good stuff at decent prices.

                          FWIW, Food 4 Less is doing a pretty job of carrying items that appeal to a wide variety of demographics: I was pleasantly surprised they have a really good selection of fresh herbs.  Seems they're paying att'n to *all* of their potential clientele, a good thing.

                          Cheers,
                          JV

                          Juan Vega

                          In a message dated 10/29/2013 11:09:24 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, scott@... writes:

                          I cannot grasp the view that a business is being elitist when it is not interested in losing profits. When you go looking for a job are you elitist because you offer yourself to a company that pays higher wages and a better working environment? Trader Joes is not a charity organization. No chain store of any kind will move in if their demographic studies say they will not make a profit. They may be wrong, but they have done pretty well so, on average, they're doing the right thing to stay afloat. The businesses that do well here are the ones that do well here.

                          That's not to say TJ's won't listen if we all write letters and ask them to give us a try, which I have done a few times. I would love to see a Sprouts nearby, as well.

                          --Scott

                        • car2532002
                          Message 12 of 19 , Oct 30, 2013

                            The only decent markets are Smart and Final, Vons, and Trader Joe's.   Super King and Big Saver and Superior Market  have low quality produce.  And, Big Saver with their horribly loud music is not an option.    Food4Less is half decent but the produce is still not as good as the other stores.   Of course the best meats are also at the 3 stores I first mentioned.

                            Smart and Final in Lincoln Heights is one of the best stores with great produce and meats.   And, so is Vons.  There are no local decent stores.  You have to drive to get to a decent store.

                            No removal of car lanes.   Again, you have to drive to get to a decent store.

                            Susan

                              Message 14 of 19 , Oct 30, 2013
                                Bob,

                                Since Mt Washington is in 90065 as well but I think most people from this area go to the store on Colorado (Eagle Rock) or South Pas...so even though both stores are not that close, it would seem they're getting plenty of traffic from that zip code already.

                                I don't think it's just potential volume that would lead to a new store, it's the other pluses in the area that would make it a desirable destination.
                                Eagle Rock: Lots of restaurants, services and the store's been there for quite a while; a well-developed clientiele.
                                South Pas: One of the originals and still a favorite of people even when there might be one closer. Businesses right across the street, a laundry, a gas station and all the businesses further east on Mission...and not far from the 110 Orange Grove exit.

                                I don't think TJs would want to be the anchor for a new shopping center or strip mall.

                                As far as TJs on South Lake in Pasadena, I imagine they were invited to locate there and given incentives by the developers. I am curious how their gross income per square foot compares with the Arroyo Parkway store (even with its limited parking)...

                                ms360b/lynda

                                --- In nelalist@yahoogroups.com, Bob Bailey <n6yvy@...> wrote:

                                > I agree with Richard. But one more thing no one that lives in Glassell
                                > Park shops at Trader Joe's. I've was a T.J. and the checker asked for
                                > their zip code they freaked out why do you want to know where I live?
                                > Well lets say if enough of 90065 shopped at T.J.'s you just might get
                                > one. It's pure and simple marketing. Why do you think the big three have
                                > club cards. Marketing! So next they ask for your zip code give it them.
                                > You just might get your book store or a cool place to eat.
                                > RWB
                                > On 10/25/13 11:35 AM, Richard Harris wrote:
                                > >
                                > > It's not a question of elitism, it's a question of the income group.
                                > > They don't care whom the shoppers are, they care about their income.
                                > > Another criterium of TJ's is that they plan for a twenty minute car
                                > > drive between locations. However, historically the Pasadena area had
                                > > more stores closer together. The store at Avenue 64 was a Pronto
                                > > Market (a chain of smaller stores involved in the genesis of TJ's) and
                                > > in terms of income, with the Eagle Rock, the South Pas and the Arroyo
                                > > Pkwy stores so close-by was not profitable.And it was the last Pronto
                                > > Market in the TJ chain. In terms of all this, Verdugo Market is too
                                > > close to those other TJ locations.

                              • KES Donahue
                                Message 15 of 19 , Oct 31, 2013
                                  After the Albertsons closed, I was a bit reluctant to shop at Food for Less, but have found, contrary to what others have said, that their produce is fine. There fruit ripens and when I look for something like leeks, they have them. And if you want jalapenos and cilantro, they FfL is your place.  I can not say the same for Superior or Fresh & Easy. The latter in particular rarely has what I need and I stopped shopping there altogether. I like Trader Joe's for certain things and use the one on Arroyo. KDonahue

                                  --
                                  My Blog: Toucans and Hornbills: A Traveler's Log: http://toucansandhornbills-kesd.blogspot.com/
                                  (please feed the fish)

                                  Facebook: FarFlung: Travel Bethought

                                  Katharine E. S. Donahue
                                  Librarian Emerita, UCLA
                                  735 Rome Dr.
                                  Los Angeles, CA 90065-4040
                                  323 227-1285

                                • Paul Bailey
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Oct 31, 2013
                                    I can't speak for the other markets but when was the last time your were at superior? they have great and inexpensive produce that is usually better than vons and was easily better than the now defunct figueroa produce.

                                    paul
                                    hermon

                                    On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 7:22 AM, <car2532002@...> wrote:

[...]

                                    Music Teacher
                                    Responsible Indigenous Social Entrepreneurship School (RISE)
                                    Augustus Hawkins High School-LAUSD
                                    323-205-6721

                                  • hauntedcasa@...

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Nov 3, 2013
                                        The markets in our area are improving: Big Saver has good inexpensive produce and a nice meat counter, Superior has the best fresh tortilla chips, good produce, and a good meat counter, and Food4Less has the same, but they also have a nice variety of fresh herbs; they're getting it.  Patronize our local markets!

                                        Cheers,
                                        JV

                                        Juan Vega

                                      • car2532002