Brush Clearance and Fire Season

  • ctwilliams2012
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 26, 2013

      In NELA, we have a lot of brush which the Board of Fire Commissioners and Board of Public Works review on an annual basis. Many people self-certify clearance and supposedly someone inspects and confirms the clearance. Others just pay a small bill and forget the whole thing. Others may be warned and fined, while others may have the City's contractors clear their properties at about $1000 per parcel.

      The  LAFD may re-deploy their engine-companies because of the needed quick response times which by definition means fewer or longer response times for structure fires.

      Some of us will be surveying the NELA areas for a quality control of brush clearance and City inspections and clearances. We check out areas on GoogleEarth satellite and street views then we do a confirmation in person and document with photos.  Some thing doing sidewalks...and potholes.

      Targets: University Hills,  northern Monterey Hills/Hawley,  Montecito Heights/Terrill/Bushnell,  Mt.Wash.-Crane/Gross/Moon/Furness,  Kinney/Glassel Hill,  RoundTop/CastleCrest/Banbury, and  top of Ave 63/Marie/Burwood.  Any others??

      Why?  1.  LA has the most stringent brush clearance requirements in the US,  2) many owners are fined and just pay it even though they didn't need to (200ft clearance requirements applies to you if the owner hasn't clear their property), 3)others in the flatlands are put at higher risks because LAFD redeploys engines to the Mulholland Hills, the Canyons, NELA, and Sunland Tujunga...4.This ain't right...