school of self-reliance

  • Christopher Nyerges
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 2, 2013
      Classes for August and September

      UPCOMING CLASSES LOCALLY

      FOR SCHOOL OF SELF-RELIANCE

      School of Self-Reliance has been conducting local classes in wild foods and self-reliance since 1974 (in cooperation with various other non-profits, such as WTI Inc., Boy Scouts, etc.).  Classes are designed for hands-on experiences, teaching skills that our ancestors took for granted.  The goal is to engender individual self-reliance, so we all can live better with less, “living lightly on the earth.”

      Classes led by Christopher Nyerges, author of “How to Survive Anywhere,” “Guide to Wild Foods,” “Self-Sufficient Home,” and other books.

      For more details and reservations, go to the website at www.ChristopherNyerges.com, or call 626 791-3217.

      Saturday, Aug. 3, 9:30 a.m.
      PREPARED-NESS SEMINAR & Wild Food Walk.  $20. Are you ready for the possibility of the next earthquake, the next blackout, the next stock market crash?  Or are you simply a pragmatist who wants to be ready for anything?  You’ll learn about how to produce and store food, store water, alternatives to electricity, things to store, toilet alternatives, and more. A very “real” discussion about what you need to know, with lots of room for questions.  Then we’ll go on a plant walk and learn about edible and medicinal native plants. Switzers Camp.  You must obtain a Forest Adventure Pass.

      Saturday, Aug. 10, 9:30 a.m.
      WEAVING and WILD FOOD Workshop, $20.  We’ll walk in this mountain stream-side environment and learn how to make twine, brushes, and baskets using local materials.  We’ll also see what sorts of wild foods can be eaten at this higher elevation.  Switzers Camp.  You must get a Forest Adventure Pass.

      Saturday, Aug. 17, 10 a.m.
      ACORN PROCESSING and WILD FOOD Class.  $20. Ever wonder how the Native Americans turned bitter acorns into tasty foods?  We will process acorns from start to finish. We’ll crack the acorns, boil them, grind them, and cook a few variations. We’ll also explore and find some of the common wild foods for salad and soup. Hahamongna Watershed Park.

      Saturday, Aug. 24, 10 a.m.
      DESERT SURVIVAL SKILLS, $34. We'll focus on desert survival skills, such as dealing with the heat, plant ID, fire-making, finding water with transpiration bag and solar still, shelter, and more. In Location 9, Orcas Park, in the Big Tujunga Wash, northeast of Hansen Dam, in Lake View Terrace.

      Saturday, August 31, 10 a.m.
      WILD FOOD WALK, Location tba

      Saturday, Sept. 7, 10 a.m.
      BOW-MAKING CLASS,  $34.  Learn the basics of how to make a regular self-bow (one piece of wood), from start to (hopefully) finish.  Bring a small axe and a  knife. You’ll learn how to select wood, how to tiller, etc. If we have the time, we will collect wild food and make a salad.   Hahamongna Watershed Park.

      Wednesday, Sept. 11, Noon
      MINI-WEAPONRY WORKSHOP, $20.
      In this afternoon class, you’ll learn about simple snares, deadfalls, triggers, the quail trap, and then we’ll go on a short walk to look at suitable woods for traps, and collect a wild food salad.  Hahamongna Watershed Park.

      Friday, September 13, 7 p.m.  Five-week Survival Skills Class, Pasadena City College. $59.
      Call (626) 585-7608 for information and registration. Class topics include uses of wild plants, ways to make Fire (without matches), water (finding, storing, purifying), shelter in emergencies, tools and weapons, etc.  Taught by Christopher Nyerges.

      Saturday, September 14, 10 a.m.
      WILD FOOD & SHELTER WORKSHOP,  $25.  We’ll make at least two shelters in the forested area in this park, and learn about various emergency shelters that you can carry in your pack. Plus, learn what to do in your own backyard in the case of an earthquake.  We will also explore for some wild foods that we’ll sample in a salad.  . In Location 9, Orcas Park, in the Big Tujunga Wash, northeast of Hansen Dam, in Lake View Terrace.

      Saturday, Sept. 21, 10 a.m.
      SURVIVAL SKILLS INTENSIVE, $51.   We’ll be at Switzers Camp in the Angeles National Forest, and we’ll learn about uses of wild plants for food, primitive fire-making, water purification, shelter, slings and snares, and maybe weaving. Switzers Camp.  You must obtain a Forest Adventure Pass.

      Saturday, Sept. 28, 10 a.m.
      WEAVING and WILD FOOD Workshop, $20.  We’ll walk in this mountain stream-side environment and learn how to make twine, brushes, and baskets using local materials.  We’ll also see what sorts of wild foods can be eaten at this higher elevation.  Switzers Camp.  You must obtain a Forest Adventure Pass.

    • Christopher Nyerges
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 6 9:07 AM
        UPCOMING CLASSES FROM THE SCHOOL OF SELF-RELIANCE.

        RSVP, and LOCATION DETAILS at www.SchoolofSelf-Reliance.com, or Christopher_nyerges@..., or 626-791-3217.

        The School of Self-Reliance teaches useful skills for self-reliance. Classes are twice-weekly, and by arrangement for schools and groups.
        Founder Christopher Nyerges has been teaching these skills since 1974.  His “Guide to Wild Foods” book has been recently released in all color – see Amazon.com or the School of Self-Reliance web site.

        Saturday, March 8, 10 a.m.
        LEATHER WORKSHOP & WILD FOOD OUTING, $25.  You’ll see the details of how a leather bag pattern is made, how it’s cut, and stitched, and finished. You’ll see what tools are involved, and you’ll get to try it yourself.  Then, we’ll go on a wild food and wild plant walk and see what we can collect for lunch. Pasadena’s Hahamongna Watershed Park

        Wednesday, March 12,  noon
        WILD FOOD OUTING, $20. Bailey Park, Sierra Madre.  Learn about local native plants and some introduced exotics as we walk in Sierra Madre’s Bailey Canyon. Meet in the parking lot at Bailey Canyon Park. From the 210 Freeway in Arcadia, go north on Michillinda to Grand View in Sierra Madre. Turn right (east) on Grand View, then go left (north) on Lima St. one long block to Carter, where you turn left (west). You will see the park entrance on your right.

        Saturday, March 15, 10 a.m.
        SURVIVAL SKILLS INTENSIVE,  $51.  We’ll learn  about all of the important skills in this five-hour walkabout.  We’ll see medicinal and edible wild plants, practice fire skills, shelter, snares and deadfalls, weaving with natural materials, and more. Upper Arroyo Seco.

        Wednesday, March 19, noon.
        PREPAREDNESS SEMINAR & Wild Food Walk.  $20. Are you ready for the possibility of the next earthquake, the next blackout, the next stock market crash?  Or are you simply a pragmatist who wants to be ready for anything?  You’ll learn about how to produce and store food, store water, alternatives to electricity, things to store, toilet alternatives, and more. A very “real” discussion about what you need to know, with lots of room for questions.  Then we’ll go on a wild food walk and collect salad. Hahamongna Watershed Park.

        Saturday, March 22, 10 a.m.
        ARROW-MAKING CLASS and Wild Food Outing.  $25. Making a good, functional arrow requires special attention to many details.  We’ll work some shafts, glue or tie on feathers, and secure ready-made points or points you make.  We’ll also have some modern arrow-making gear.  Bring a knife.  Then we’ll collect wild food salad. Hahamongna Watershed Park.

        Wednesday, March 26, Noon
        MINI-TRAPPING WORKSHOP, 3 p.m., $20.
        In this afternoon class, you’ll learn some of the most basic of trapping methods, including snares, quail traps, and deadfalls.  If time, we’ll study some of the local wild foods. Pasadena’s Hahamongna Watershed Park.

        Wednesday, March 26, 7:30 p.m.
        URBAN & WILDERNESS SURVIVAL SKILLS, free lecture.
        This is a monthly Sierra Club meeting at Eaton Canyon where Christopher will talk about how survival is what you know,  not what you have, and show his new book. Nyerges will discuss wild plants, trapping, water purification, fire-skills, and more. Eaton Canyon Nature Center, 1750 N. Altadena Drive, Pasadena 91107.

      • Christopher Nyerges
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 10, 2014

          SCHOOL OF SELF-RELIANCE UPDATES

          Wild Food Outings and Survival Skills classes since 1974!

          GIFT CERTIFICATES

          We offer gift certificates to all our classes. [Note: take a 10% discount for total Gift Certificates over $100.]

          SCHOOL OF SELF-RELIANCE CLASSES and activities

          We’ve updated our Schedule at www.SchoolofSelf-Reliance.com through March of 2015.  More dates get added regularly.
          Note there are classes on some  Thursdays each week, and every Saturday!

          Remember: We offer special walks and talks to your school, church, scouting group, or even private consultations. Just let us know your needs.

          NEW BOOKS
          In spring, “Guide to Wild Foods and Useful Plants” was released in all-color. We think you’ll really enjoy it. Also this year, the all-new, all-color “Foraging California” was released. This is an excellent guide to the wild foods of California.
          These two books are very complementary, and  you can get them at bookstores, from Amazon, or from our Store at www.SchoolofSelf-Reliance.com.

          KINDLE BOOKS
          Are you a Kindle user?  A few months ago, we posted “Squatter in Los Angeles” on Kindle, the true story of Christopher’s year and a half as a squatter, where he practiced and researched many self-reliance skills. It’s an interesting read, and probably not what  you will expect.

          Looking for something more serious?  Christopher’s “Til Death Do Us Part?” is a series of vignettes on dealing with death in the family, death of pets, and assisting the survivors. Available on Kindle or pdf from our Store.

          YOUTUBE

          Have you noticed our Youtube videos?  Go to YouTube and click on “Christopher Nyerges” and you should be able to find most of them.

          WANT A PLANT IDENTIFIED?
          I’m at the Highland Park Farmers Market every Tuesday, 3 to 7 p.m., Ave. 58 at Figueroa. Come on over and bring your wild plants!

          SUNDAY SPIRITUAL STUDIES
          WTI continues to conduct its Sunday morning classes at 9:30 in Highland Park. See www.wtinc.info for details.

          Questions?  Just send them along!  Hope to see you on the trail!

          Christopher

          P.S. Don’t want these updates?  Please let us know and we’ll delete your name asap.