Goodwill Store/warehouse to open in Glassell Park

  • Christopher Howard
    Message 1 of 25 , Jul 6 9:40 AM
      http://atwatervillagenews.blogspot.com/2013/07/goodwill-coming-to-old-kmart-site-in.html

      Goodwill is opening a warehouse / retail store at the old Kmart Site in Glassell Park. The site, located at 3150 San Fernando Road, has sat vacant since December 2004 when Kmart closed its doors.

      Kmart building Glassell Park
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/lopitos/379972539/

      posted to nelalist by c howard
    • Mary Tokita
      Message 2 of 25 , Jul 6 10:06 AM
        Great news for treasure hunters! Glad that the huge space is going to a worthy cause. Thanks for sharing, C!

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 25 , Jul 6 12:07 PM
          Better than home depot

          Sanny Tan
          ________________________________
            Message 5 of 25 , Jul 7 2:02 PM
              This is great news. Finally a store the community can use. And, after many years of being vacant it will make the neighborhood look a whole lot better.

              This should have been the cite for the new Northeast Police Station. But at least finally something positive will come into the community. And, it would be nice if a decent business came into the old Shims Store. These two places make a huge difference in improving the neighborhood and that corner. A little late, this should have been done years ago, but I guess priorites go to Eagle Rock and Atwater Village, Glassell Park seems like it is at the bottom of the list. Hope Mitch is listening. These 2 places make a huge difference and can make a huge improvement to the neighborhood.

              Susan

              --- In nelalist@yahoogroups.com, Christopher Howard <christohoward@...> wrote:

              > http://atwatervillagenews.blogspot.com/2013/07/goodwill-coming-to-old-kmart-site-in.html
              >
              > Goodwill is opening a warehouse / retail store at the old Kmart Site in Glassell Park. The site, located at 3150 San Fernando Road, has sat vacant since December 2004 when Kmart closed its doors.
              >
              > Kmart building Glassell Park
              > http://www.flickr.com/photos/lopitos/379972539/
              >
              > posted to nelalist by c howard

            • car2532002
              Message 6 of 25 , Jul 8 8:42 AM
                3 Goodwill stores? No, not true. The Goodwill store on San Fernando Road is a long way from Fletcher. It is is not a regular store either. And, the Out of the Closet is not across the street. It is closer to across the street from the Kia Dealer.

                Goodwill stores at least keep their stores nice, painted and clean. It is sad that other stores the community could have used did not get the space. But after many years of being empty it is great news that a nice store that will be painted and clean will be there.

                Next concern should be the empty Shims store. Something should have been done about that run down place years ago. Hopefully a good business will come into that spot.

                We need to appreciate the remodeled Pollo Loco and Burger King and the Beef Bowl coming into that run down building and making it half decent. Hopefully a good business will come into the empty Shims space.

                And, it is good news that the old Kmart will not become an indoor swap meet or some other piece of crap rundown place. Goodwill is a good store.

                Susan

                Message 7 of 25 , Jul 8 8:48 AM
                  Not so sure it is a worthy cause anymore. Channel 4 ran a story one night (not on the news, one of the hour long programs) about how they only pay disabled people .22 cents an hour. There is a minimum wage exemption for them going back 70 years. How is that? How unfair is that? It is an unbelieveable story.

                  Susan

                  --- In nelalist@yahoogroups.com, Mary Tokita <mareaucontraire@...> wrote:

                  > Great news for treasure hunters! Glad that the huge space is going to a worthy cause. Thanks for sharing, C!
                  >

                  > ________________________________
                  > From: Christopher Howard <christohoward@...>
                  >
                  > Goodwill is opening a warehouse / retail store at the old Kmart Site in Glassell Park. The site, located at 3150 San Fernando Road, has sat vacant since December 2004 when Kmart closed its doors.
                  >
                  > Kmart building Glassell Park
                  > http://www.flickr.com/photos/lopitos/379972539/
                  >
                  > posted to nelalist by c howard

                • Elisa Ann Conant
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jul 8 9:43 AM
                    Great news....

                    Elisa Ann Conant

                    Message 9 of 25 , Jul 8 3:37 PM
                      Goodwill Industries President and CEO Jim Gibbons responds to criticism regarding Special Minimum Wage exemption on Huffington Post
                      http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jim-gibbons/goodwill-and-the-power-of_b_3293985.html

                      Gibbons article is posted below.
                      The comments on Huffington Post are also interesting and worth a look.

                      - ch

                      Posted to nelalist by c howard.

                      Goodwill and the Power of Work: Helping People With Disabilities Find Employment
                      • by JIM GIBBONS
                      • MAY 17, 2013

                      In America, 80 percent of people with disabilities do not have jobs. This shameful statistic should encourage all of us to help people with disabilities earn employment. Fortunately, there are organizations dedicated to doing just that, including Goodwill Industries International, a 111-year-old social enterprise that places someone in a good job every 33 seconds of every business day. At Goodwill, our mission is to help people in need reach their full potential through learning and the power of work.

                      Goodwill has recently been unfairly singled out in a misinformed campaign regarding the Special Minimum Wage Certificate issued by the U.S. Department of Labor. This certificate is an important tool that is used by more than three thousand four hundred employers nationwide to help individuals with significant and multiple disabilities to gain and maintain employment. For thousands of people with the most significant disabilities, it means the difference between reaching their full employment potential and having no job at all.

                      The certificate is issued under section 14(c) of the Fair Labor Standards Act, and it allows employers to pay commensurate wages to employees whose disabilities significantly impair their productivity; sometimes this means that they are paid less than the federal minimum wage. While it is quite easy to look at this provision quickly and ask why people with disabilities should be paid less than other workers, the truth is the certificate allows Goodwill and many other employers to provide opportunities for people with severe disabilities who otherwise might not be a part of the workforce. It helps many people find the best possible employment for them and it is a highly regulated and vital component of the Fair Labor Standards Act. Often people with disabilities are employed under the certificate and are then able to learn the skills they need to receive pay raises and earn competitive wages. It is just one of the many tools that Goodwill uses to provide opportunities for people with significant disabilities.

                      The certificate has led to the creation of jobs for hundreds of thousands of people with multiple physical and mental disabilities who report to work each day, flourish in friendships with their supervisors and co-workers, delight in mastering new tasks and learning new skills, and take pride in jobs well done. Seven thousand of these Americans work at Goodwill agencies across the country. While only a small percentage of Goodwill's 113,000 team members are paid under the certificate, we believe it is an essential tool to increase employment opportunitiesfor people with disabilities and to help every employee reach their personal employment potential, whatever that might be. The Special Wage Certificate is immensely helpful for those people who choose to use it as a path to employment.

                      While some have called for this program to be eliminated, let's be clear about exactly what that would mean. It would mean that many hard-working people would be out of their jobs. It would mean that even more than 80 percent of people with disabilities would be out of work. The people protesting the certificate's use are not offering solutions or sustainable models to help those people find work should the certificate be eliminated.

                      As anyone who has ever enjoyed the satisfaction of achieving a professional goal understands, there is an intrinsic value to working that cannot be denied. As individuals, we innately crave purpose, a sense of accomplishment, self-respect fostered by accomplishment, and acknowledgement for our contributions to life around us. As the one of the largest employers of people with disabilities in the United States, Goodwill is honored to help thousands of people earn this self-respect and sense of accomplishment every year.
                    • Bob Bailey
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jul 8 4:41 PM
                        The community has been crying for Restaurant and a book store for at
                        least ten years or more! Why has no one opened ether? Why? Because
                        there's no support in the community money wise that is. People looking
                        to open a business like a restaurant investigate the community. They
                        will see Almanacs closed. Denny's is the only real restaurant around. If
                        your looking for an upscale restaurant not in Glassell Park my
                        friend. Even the Red mill closed down.
                        As for your book stores Borders on brand closed the Eagle Rock Plaza had
                        two when they opened. Where are they? Gone!
                        You guys have always had a list of wants. But none of you have done
                        anything about it. You want the city to do it for you. Well it's not the
                        Mayor or the city Counsels job.
                        The Goodwill store on San Fernando rd is distribution center.

                        Right Wing BoB

                        On 7/6/13 9:38 PM, mgealer@... wrote:
                        > CD 13 councilman MItch OFarrell and Mayor Garcetti,This is it? We fought Home Depot for a Goodwill Store??? There has got to be more? While its been a longtime coming and vacant this hardly the anchor store for the CDO and revitalization/mixed use of a nela college campus square IS this the BEST that Villaraigosa/Garcetti /Reyes could musterWhere are their business/land Use CHOPS? This highly SAD Use compared to the decent restaurant the neighborhood or even the KMART that was thereThe community fought to not have 3 HOME DEPOTSWhy have 3 GoodWill stores We dont need them.There is one on San Fernando right down the street from Cypress Home Depotand an Out of the Closet almost across the street. This is a coveted commercial corner where the NC's and community groups have CLEARLY voiced theirneeds. I hope a good restaurant and decent retail shops arise instead. PLEASE Mayor Garcetti use your connections for revitalization of Hollywood
                        > Mike Gealer
                        > founding boardmember/LandUse Committee Glassell Park NC 4 yrs served
                        >

                        > ------------------------------------

                      • Ray Bacon
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jul 9 8:09 AM
                          Susan,

                          Well, I'd rather see a Goodwill Store than a cannabis store....

                          But what this should be about, besides filling vacant retail space, is jobs
                          for the community.

                          For a long time, years back, there was a Goodwill sorting center near
                          Riverside Drive that provided a lot of jobs for many people who couldn't
                          find work anywhere else. I'm not sure if that Goodwill operation has since
                          closed, but it was a good example of the benefits that Goodwill brings to
                          the community.

                          In the long term, however, employment opportunities provided by used
                          merchandise stores aren't exactly the long-term career paths that our
                          children really need.

                          KMart, Target, Home Depot are the types of businesses that allow many
                          people entry-level or better jobs that help fill out their resumes for
                          future job-hunting.

                          --Ray B

                          On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 8:42 AM, car2532002 <car2532002@...> wrote:

                          > **
                          >

                          > 3 Goodwill stores? No, not true. The Goodwill store on San Fernando Road
                          > is a long way from Fletcher. It is is not a regular store either. And, the
                          > Out of the Closet is not across the street. It is closer to across the
                          > street from the Kia Dealer.
                          >
                          > Goodwill stores at least keep their stores nice, painted and clean. It is
                          > sad that other stores the community could have used did not get the space.
                          > But after many years of being empty it is great news that a nice store that
                          > will be painted and clean will be there.
                          >
                          > Next concern should be the empty Shims store. Something should have been
                          > done about that run down place years ago. Hopefully a good business will
                          > come into that spot.
                          >
                          > We need to appreciate the remodeled Pollo Loco and Burger King and the
                          > Beef Bowl coming into that run down building and making it half decent.
                          > Hopefully a good business will come into the empty Shims space.
                          >
                          > And, it is good news that the old Kmart will not become an indoor swap
                          > meet or some other piece of crap rundown place. Goodwill is a good store.
                          >
                          > Susan
                          >

                          > --- In nelalist@yahoogroups.com, "mgealer@..." <mgealer@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > CD 13 councilman MItch OFarrell and Mayor Garcetti,This is it? We fought
                          > Home Depot for a Goodwill Store??? There has got to be more? While its been
                          > a longtime coming and vacant this hardly the anchor store for the CDO and
                          > revitalization/mixed use of a nela college campus square IS this the BEST
                          > that Villaraigosa/Garcetti /Reyes could musterWhere are their business/land
                          > Use CHOPS? This highly SAD Use compared to the decent restaurant the
                          > neighborhood or even the KMART that was thereThe community fought to not
                          > have 3 HOME DEPOTSWhy have 3 GoodWill stores We dont need them.There is one
                          > on San Fernando right down the street from Cypress Home Depotand an Out of
                          > the Closet almost across the street. This is a coveted commercial corner
                          > where the NC's and community groups have CLEARLY voiced theirneeds. I hope
                          > a good restaurant and decent retail shops arise instead. PLEASE Mayor
                          > Garcetti use your connections for revitalization of Hollywood
                          > > Mike Gealer
                          > > founding boardmember/LandUse Committee Glassell Park NC 4 yrs served

                        • Ollin Band
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jul 9 10:57 AM
                            To say that rather than pay the minimum wage, Goodwill would eliminate those jobs is disgusting. � Saying disabled people have limited or impared ability to do their jobs is not an excuse. Basically, he's saying it's a 'pity job.' �NOT OK. �They work hard like everybody else, have needs beyond pride, friends and delight. �What nonsense. �Disabled people are not second class citizens. Gibbons says some of them learn to do some kind of job that enables them to get a raise or competitive wage -- then pay them like anybody else on a training program -- This program is exploitative and needs to be eliminated. �

                            Nillo

                            ________________________________

                            Posted to nelalist by c howard.

[...]

                                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                          • car2532002
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jul 9 4:09 PM
                              I totally agree. A Goodwill store is better than some other bad stores. But a store that employs more people would be best. It looks like the part of the neighborhood never got the attention it needed by government officials. However, things are starting to look up.

                              The Goodwill Store is still on San Fernando Road. And, they provide lots of different services.

                              http://www.goodwillsocal.org/

                              Susan

                              Message 14 of 25 , Jul 9 5:20 PM
                                One thing the Goodwill will look real good on your Resume because they
                                think you volunteered.
                                RWB

                              • Ray Bacon
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jul 10 3:56 PM
                                  Ollin,

                                  While one cannot defend having a category of employees who receive
                                  substandard wages, the "sheltered workshop" concept for providing
                                  employment to many who can't work elsewhere deserves some respect.

                                  From what I know of its operation, Goodwill Industries is very serious
                                  about making productive job activity available to only those who cannot
                                  physically or mentally qualify for work elsewhere. This employment sector
                                  is an alternative to someone staying at home full-time because your average
                                  business will not (or cannot) put him to work.

                                  While it may be possible that Gibbons speaks only "feel good" rhetoric, I
                                  believe that there is much that is positive about the "sheltered workshop"
                                  concept, even with below-standard wages.

                                  As I posted earlier, Goodwill Industries has been a local institution in
                                  its San Fernando Road location for several decades, and hundreds of people
                                  have been employed there over the years. Those employees weren't paid
                                  "livable" wages in the full sense of the word, but Goodwill routinely turns
                                  away employment applicants who can work elsewhere for "livable" wages.

                                  --Ray B

                                • Margo Jim
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jul 10 4:43 PM
                                    It needs to be remembered also that probably most of the people working at goodwill because of a disability are also getting Social Security benefits.
                                    They can only make a certain amount before they start loosing Social Security.

                                    M Jim

                                  • Ray Bacon
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jul 10 5:21 PM
                                      M Jim,

                                      MediCal and Food Stamp benefits are also "means tested," which can be reduced when recipients income exceeds threshold amounts.

                                      In theory, a disabled employee at Goodwill Industries could migrate to a minimum wage job at "Joe's hardware" down the street, report his monthly earnings a while later, and be taken off of MediCal as the result of increased earnings.  The resulting loss of medical and prescription benefits could effectively leave the new wage earner in a more dependent status than when he worked at Goodwill Industries.

                                      While this subject has now become somewhat "off-topic," the role that Goodwill Industries plays in our community cannot be easily dismissed.

                                      --Ray B

                                      <*> Your email settings:
                                          Individual Email | Traditional

                                      <*> To change settings online go to:
                                          (Yahoo! ID required)

                                      <*> To change settings via email:
                                          nelalist-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                          nelalist-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                    • Dan Mattews
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jul 11 4:57 PM
                                        The saddest thing is..

                                        That place could still be a viable Kmart..

                                        It was always kind of a dump, but it always seemed busy.

                                        They could have done improvements, managed it better etc.

                                        But I bet it could have been kept in the chain.

                                        Who knows, they have all sorts of formulas.

                                        I do remember meeting with Ralphs executives who told me that store that is
                                        currently SuperKing was run every bit the same as any other Ralphs market in
                                        the chain.

                                        I told him he was full of it, that store was a dump and mismanaged.

                                        Perhaps Kmart was the same, but it served a purpose for local people who
                                        needed some goods.

                                        Brian

                                        Glassellland

                                        _____

                                        From: nelalist@yahoogroups.com [mailto:nelalist@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
                                        Of car2532002

                                        --- In nelalist@yahoogroups.com <mailto:nelalist%40yahoogroups.com> , Ray

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jul 12 6:14 AM
                                          Sears bought Kmart years ago. Another Kmart would be nice. The stores are better upkept than years ago. But a GoodWill Store will also be nice. Their stores are painted nice and they are clean.

                                          Something a lot worse could have been put there. A GoodWill Store is a welcome asset to the community. Now, to worry about the old Shims story should be the concern. If a good business comes in that spot the corner would really make a big turn around.

                                          With the Beef Bowl and the new remodels of the Pollo Loco and the Burger King and the new Goodwill Store the corner is looking good. Things are finally looking up.

                                          Susan

                                          Message 20 of 25 , Jul 12 6:17 AM
                                            Disability allow you to work and make a certain amount of money before they cut your check. And, disabled people are allowed to make more then .22 an hour. And, there is a first year work program where no money is cut at all. This is to encourage people to work. And, this way if the work does not work out no benefits get cut.

                                            Message 21 of 25 , Jul 12 8:09 PM
                                              First things first Kmart bought Sears I learned that when I worked at Sears.
                                              secondly the Kmart on San Fernando rd was the largest highest grossing
                                              store in Los Angeles.
                                              RWB
                                              On 7/12/13 6:14 AM, car2532002 wrote:

> [...]
                                              > > > children really need.
                                              > > >
                                              > > > KMart, Target, Home Depot are the types of businesses that allow many
                                              > > > people entry-level or better jobs that help fill out their resumes for
                                              > > > future job-hunting.
                                              > > >
                                              > > > --Ray B

                                              > Fernando Road
                                              > either. And,
                                              > > the
                                              > across the

                                              > clean. It
                                              > > is
                                              > > space.
                                              > store
                                              > > that

                                              > have been
                                              > business will

                                              > and the
                                              > decent.

                                              > indoor swap
                                              > > store.

                                              > <mailto:nelalist%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:nelalist%40yahoogroups.com> ,

                                            • Dan Mattews
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Jul 13 9:22 AM
                                                Actually KMART bought out Sears...

                                                Brian

                                                Glassellland

                                                _____

                                                From: nelalist@yahoogroups.com [mailto:nelalist@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
                                                Of car2532002

                                                --- In nelalist@yahoogroups.com <mailto:nelalist%40yahoogroups.com> , Dan
                                                Mattews <chp2150@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                                > business/land
                                                > > > Use CHOPS? This highly SAD Use compared to the decent restaurant the
                                                > > > neighborhood or even the KMART that was thereThe community fought to
                                                not
                                                > > > have 3 HOME DEPOTSWhy have 3 GoodWill stores We dont need them.There
                                                is
                                                > one
                                                > > > on San Fernando right down the street from Cypress Home Depotand an
                                                Out
                                                > of
                                                > > > the Closet almost across the street. This is a coveted commercial
                                                corner
                                                > > > where the NC's and community groups have CLEARLY voiced theirneeds. I
                                                > hope
                                                > > > a good restaurant and decent retail shops arise instead. PLEASE Mayor
                                                > > > Garcetti use your connections for revitalization of Hollywood

                                              • ms360b
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Jul 13 4:48 PM
                                                  There's a tv program on A&E about people who bid & buy the contents of public storage units... (Storage Wars) and one of the regulars talked one time about how he learned about sorting and rating used goods from atime when he HAD to do community service...which ended up being at a major nonprofit thrift store chain..
                                                  so I would think rather than a prospective employer thinking the applicant had volunteered they might think he had had a DUI or something like that and the community service paid off the fine, or part of it.

                                                  Since I shop at thrift stores I was suprised to hear about such a program...

                                                  ms360b
                                                  --- In nelalist@yahoogroups.com, Bob Bailey <n6yvy@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                                  > >> Home Depot for a Goodwill Store??? There has got to be more? While its been
                                                  > >> a longtime coming and vacant this hardly the anchor store for the CDO and
                                                  > >> revitalization/mixed use of a nela college campus square IS this the BEST
                                                  > >> that Villaraigosa/Garcetti /Reyes could musterWhere are their business/land
                                                  > >> Use CHOPS? This highly SAD Use compared to the decent restaurant the
                                                  > >> neighborhood or even the KMART that was thereThe community fought to not
                                                  > >> have 3 HOME DEPOTSWhy have 3 GoodWill stores We dont need them.There is one
                                                  > >> on San Fernando right down the street from Cypress Home Depotand an Out of
                                                  > >> the Closet almost across the street. This is a coveted commercial corner
                                                  > >> where the NC's and community groups have CLEARLY voiced theirneeds. I hope
                                                  > >> a good restaurant and decent retail shops arise instead. PLEASE Mayor
                                                  > >> Garcetti use your connections for revitalization of Hollywood

                                                • Bob Bailey
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Jul 14 8:20 PM
                                                    You would not put community service work in your employment section on
                                                    your resume. Community service would go in you cover letter. You do know
                                                    people do work for the Goodwill for wages.
                                                    R-W-B
                                                    On 7/13/13 4:48 PM, ms360b wrote:

                                                    > There's a tv program on A&E about people who bid & buy the contents of
                                                    > public storage units... (Storage Wars) and one of the regulars talked
                                                    > one time about how he learned about sorting and rating used goods from
                                                    > atime when he HAD to do community service...which ended up being at a
                                                    > major nonprofit thrift store chain..
                                                    > so I would think rather than a prospective employer thinking the
                                                    > applicant had volunteered they might think he had had a DUI or
                                                    > something like that and the community service paid off the fine, or
                                                    > part of it.
                                                    >
                                                    > Since I shop at thrift stores I was suprised to hear about such a
                                                    > program...
                                                    >
                                                    > ms360b
                                                    > --- In nelalist@yahoogroups.com <mailto:nelalist%40yahoogroups.com>,
                                                    > Bob Bailey <n6yvy@...> wrote:
                                                    > >
                                                    > > One thing the Goodwill will look real good on your Resume because they
                                                    > > think you volunteered.
                                                    > > RWB
                                                    > > On 7/9/13 8:09 AM, Ray Bacon wrote:
                                                    > > > Susan,
                                                    > > >
                                                    > > > Well, I'd rather see a Goodwill Store than a cannabis store....
                                                    > > >
                                                    > > > But what this should be about, besides filling vacant retail
                                                    > space, is jobs
                                                    > > > for the community.
                                                    > > >
                                                    > > > For a long time, years back, there was a Goodwill sorting center near
                                                    > > > Riverside Drive that provided a lot of jobs for many people who
                                                    > couldn't
                                                    > > > find work anywhere else. I'm not sure if that Goodwill operation
                                                    > has since
                                                    > > > closed, but it was a good example of the benefits that Goodwill
                                                    > brings to
                                                    > > > the community.
                                                    > > >
                                                    > > > In the long term, however, employment opportunities provided by used
                                                    > > > merchandise stores aren't exactly the long-term career paths that our
                                                    > > > children really need.
                                                    > > >
                                                    > > > KMart, Target, Home Depot are the types of businesses that allow many
                                                    > > > people entry-level or better jobs that help fill out their resumes for
                                                    > > > future job-hunting.
                                                    > > >
                                                    > > > --Ray B

                                                    > Fernando Road
                                                    > And, the
                                                    > across the

                                                    > clean. It is
                                                    > the space.
                                                    > store that

                                                    > have been
                                                    > business will

                                                    > and the
                                                    > decent.

                                                    > swap
                                                    > good store.

                                                    > We fought
                                                    > While its been
                                                    > CDO and
                                                    > the BEST
                                                    > business/land
                                                    > to not
                                                    > them.There is one
                                                    > an Out of
                                                    > corner
                                                    > theirneeds. I hope

                                                  • jvegatrio
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Sep 13, 2013
                                                      The sad reality is that "there is no there there" at that intersection, or in the surrounding area.  All that "traffic" is going somewhere else: either to the 2 or to Super King, or to the Romantix store or Staples or the police station in the opposite direction.  Goodwill is a worthy enterprise, and if they can utilize the space and do some good, more power to them.  That area is *not* "Eagle Rock", by any stretch of the imagination; no entrepreneur in his right mind would invest in an "upscale" business at that location...

                                                      Cheers,
                                                      JV

                                                      Juan Vega