Re: Underground Art Scene: New vision for Cypress Park pedestrian tunnel

  • Ray Bacon
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 5, 2013
      Chris' post about the soon-to-reopen pedestrian tunnel brought back fond memories.  I've wondered whether the infrastsructure still existed, as similar tunnels in other parts of Los Angeles (Sunset Blvd and Micheltorena, for example) have become so dangerous as to be effectively unusable.

      In 1954 when I attended Loreto Elementary School (6th grade), the Figueroa Street tunnel was "alive and well" and essential for crossing Figueroa to Nightingale Jr Hi or on the way to Loreto Elementary.  In those days gang-style graffiti was around with still-memorable recall of the 1940's Pachuko period and the more current (then) "White Fence" activities in East L.A.  But school routes and tunnels used by children were reasonably exempt during daytime hours.

      Perhaps the more recent gentrification of the NELA area provides a good environment for reopening of the tunnel, but the area still has a "dark side," and community support will be needed to keep the tunnel safe and sane.  Perhaps locking it up at night would be one consideration.

      --Ray Bacon

      On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 10:40 AM, Christopher Howard <christohoward@...> wrote:
      Yancey Quinones stands in the pedestrian tunnel under North Figueroa Street, his arms stretched out, his voice echoing off the walls. For years the Cypress Park tunnel had been closed to the public, but now, thanks to Quinones,  it’ll soon be reopened this Saturday night – as an art space.
      “It’s going to be the community’s tunnel, safe, secure,” Quinones says pointing to newly installed LED lights and freshly painted walls of the tunnel at Figueroa and Loreto Streetnear Nightengale Middle School.

      more...

      http://www.theeastsiderla.com/2013/05/underground-art-scene-an-artistic-vision-for-a-cypress-park-tunnel/

      posted to nelalist by c howard

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
          nelalist-digest@yahoogroups.com
          nelalist-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • car2532002
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 5, 2013
        Did anyone see the CBS2 interview?

        Susan

        --- In nelalist@yahoogroups.com, Ray Bacon <raybacon1@...> wrote:

        > Chris' post about the soon-to-reopen pedestrian tunnel brought back fond
        > memories. I've wondered whether the infrastsructure still existed, as
        > similar tunnels in other parts of Los Angeles (Sunset Blvd and
        > Micheltorena, for example) have become so dangerous as to be effectively
        > unusable.
        >
        > In 1954 when I attended Loreto Elementary School (6th grade), the Figueroa
        > Street tunnel was "alive and well" and essential for crossing Figueroa to
        > Nightingale Jr Hi or on the way to Loreto Elementary. In those days
        > gang-style graffiti was around with still-memorable recall of the 1940's
        > Pachuko period and the more current (then) "White Fence" activities in East
        > L.A. But school routes and tunnels used by children were reasonably exempt
        > during daytime hours.
        >
        > Perhaps the more recent gentrification of the NELA area provides a good
        > environment for reopening of the tunnel, but the area still has a "dark
        > side," and community support will be needed to keep the tunnel safe and
        > sane. Perhaps locking it up at night would be one consideration.
        >
        > --Ray Bacon
        >

        > On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 10:40 AM, Christopher Howard <christohoward@...
        > > wrote:
        >
        > > Yancey Quinones stands in the pedestrian tunnel under North Figueroa
        > > Street, his arms stretched out, his voice echoing off the walls. For years
        > > the Cypress Park tunnel had been closed to the public, but now, thanks to
        > > Quinones, it'll soon be reopened this Saturday night – as an art space.
        > > "It's going to be the community's tunnel, safe, secure," Quinones says
        > > pointing to newly installed LED lights and freshly painted walls of the
        > > tunnel at Figueroa and Loreto Streetnear Nightengale Middle School.
        > >
        > > more...
        > >

        > > http://www.theeastsiderla.com/2013/05/underground-art-scene-an-artistic-vision-for-a-cypress-park-tunnel/
        > >
        > > posted to nelalist by c howard
        > >

        > > ------------------------------------

      • Joe Walker
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 7, 2013
          Ray' post about attending Loreto brings up an interesting factoid about graffiti.� It wasn't until somewhat recently that people even thought to paint it over.� I know growing up in Highland Park, we had graffiti on our garage for many years and it was just sort of thought of as the way things were.� Its so interesting how we have changed our views on something like that.
          Joe

[...]

          *> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

          *> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 7, 2013
            Joe,

            One reason that graffiti wasn't painted over in years past was the "urban
            legend" that local gangs would "punish you" for covering their graffiti.

            The last couple of decades, however, the desire to enhance (or maintain)
            property values has overcome fears of gang retribution for covering
            graffiti. At least that has been my observations the last 20+ years.

            There seems to have been another trend countering graffiti, and that has
            been respect for local cultural mores, like murals and local artwork. The
            local business interest in enhancing the Figueroa Street subway may be
            occurrig at the right time and place to insure a permanent local
            enhancement (but I would still hope that it will be locked up at night).

            --Ray B

          • Joe Walker
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 8, 2013

              Ray,,,
              Very true!� I believe we all thought that painting over it would be a sign of disrespect and challenging them.� Now the widely accepted view is to paint it over right away.

              target=_blank>http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              > **
              > ****
              >
              >�

              <*> Your email settings:
              � � Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
              � � (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
              � � nelalist-digest@yahoogroups.com
              � � nelalist-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              � � http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • mayatzucu
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 9, 2013
                The tunnel will only be open for Nela art walk nights and certain days for security.
                -Maya