Attorney- Harassment?

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 22, 2013
      Hi Group,

      I live in the beautiful hillsides of Highland Park. I live at the end of a dead end street and have property lines that go into the middle of the street. At the end of the dead end street is my garage, which I have received many random citations for parking in front. The city has come and put no parking signs up and rebuilt the dilapidated white fence. I also have a shared stairwell to my house with a neighbor. The neighbor has painted private property in the street, drew lines in the stairwell, and now finally has begun to dig up the public street with a small crew (un-permitted). I've contacted field deputies from Huizars office, police, multiple city services and am now looking for an attorney to assist in litigation. I assume that this may be a unique situation, but am hopeful of finding assistance. Hopefully, no one has a shared experience, but if you have please forward anything that may help. Thanks CT
    • ms360b
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 23, 2013
        Sorry to hear about your problems and I don't know any attorney who could assist but I would like to suggest that you get a copy of the title insurance that you should have received when you bought your property.
        The description of the property should define what is yours and what is your neighbors. Likewise, your actual deed should have a word description of the property with measurements.
        If the neighbor is infringing on your property then you need to get that in writing and send it to him registered, receipt required. It is to put him on notice that he is using your property without your permission.

        Talk to the title insurance company and ask them if they can recommend someone to help you with this matter.

        I would also suggest going to the library and look for a book, Finding and Buying Your Place in the Country by Les Scher (Nolo Press).
        Yes, it says 'in the Country' but the information provided apply to city property as well as far as looking up deeds, titles and such.
        Some friends who owned business property had access to the back part of their business through a dirt road. The property on the edge of the road was sold and the new owners demanded the road not be used.
        I loaned the friends the book, they looked up their deed and thay had deeded access on that road. New neighbors, confronted with this information, backed down and said 'well, it was worth a try'.
        Here's a Wiki article on such actions:

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adverse_possession

        If you want more information about your street/area, check out the County Property info:

        http://maps.assessor.lacounty.gov/mapping/viewer.asp
        Enter your street address, hit enter and it will bring up the listing.
        There will be a button where you can click to bring up the Assessor's Map. (you may have to click the bar at the top of the page if the map is blocked). The last three digits of your Assessor's ID# are the identifying numbers for the map. (sometimes only 2).
        The actual physical measurements of the property will be listed along side the lines. This map is NOT meant to be an actual map of the property but a portrayal of the parcels within the area.
        If you want to know more about your neighbors parcels, use the two or three digits of their property instead of the digits for yours...the assessor's parcel numbers are consecutive, so if yours is 026 then 025 is to one side and 027 to the other.

        Should you want to research your deed, here is a link with the address, info:
        http://rrcc.lacounty.gov/RECORDER/Real_Estate_etc.cfm
        With the assessor's parcel number you can also look up the deed for your neighbor's property...if you have the time.
        (definitely cheaper than taking time off and then paying for an attorney).
        Do look at your own deed first and then walk the perimeter of the property to see what is where...and if there is a surveyor's map (or such) attached, check that out too.

        If this seems a bit complex or want assistance, send me a PM and I'll try to help.

        Good luck.
        ms360b Lynda

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 23, 2013
          Hi again,
          I should have said I am an amateur, but know my way around the system. I'm offering assistance as a neighbor. If I can help you, pass it on.